Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
toconnor toconnor is offline

Default how to bold a line in mail merge labels

using an excel spreadsheet I have the company name field bolded but when I
create my labels the bold doesn't happen. i have office 2000
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The bold (and other such formatting) in Excel doesn't get through to Word.

If you are inserting your Excel data using an "ADDRESSBLOCK" field in Word,
you are probably out of luck, because I don't think you will be able to bold
a specific line successfully.

If you use individual fields to insert the data, you can select the field,
apply /Word's/ bold setting, and if necessary, use Alt-F9 to view the field
codes, then change

{ MERGEFIELD myfield }
or
{ MERGEFIELD myfield \*mergeformat }

{ MERGEFIELD myfield \*charformat }

If you have bolded /some/ of your comany names and you want the bolding to
get through to Word selectively, then you have to consider having an extra
column in Excel (let's call it "boldcompany") and set it to "Y" if the
company name should be bolded. then do something like

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD boldcompany }" = "Y"
"{ MERGEFIELD company \*charformat }"
"{ MERGEFIELD company \*charformat }" }

and apply the appropriate formatting to each of those "{ MERGEFIELD company
\*charformat }" fields.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"toconnor" wrote in message
using an excel spreadsheet I have the company name field bolded but when I
create my labels the bold doesn't happen. i have office 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In the mail merge main document, press Alt+F9 to toggle on the display of
the field codes and if there is a \mergeformat switch at the end of the
company name merge field, remove it and replace it (or add, if it is not
there) a \charformat switch, and then apply bold formatting to the M of
Mergefield. Use Alt+F9 again to toggle off the display of the field codes.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP