Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Koenig

Default How to put graphics on envelopes?

I would like the full editing capabilities of Word 2003 to prepare envelopes
including inserting graphics, but when I go to Tools, Letters and mailings,
then envelopes, I get a small envelope sized area to put in the information I
want printed on the envelopes. How do I get graphics printed as part of the
return address?
Thank you,
Steve Koenig
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to put graphics on envelopes?

Hi Steve,

To insert graphics on envelopes in Word 2003, you can follow these steps:
  1. Open a new blank document in Word 2003.
  2. Click on "Tools" in the menu bar, then select "Letters and Mailings", and then "Envelopes and Labels".
  3. In the "Envelopes and Labels" dialog box, click on the "Envelopes" tab.
  4. In the "Delivery address" section, enter the recipient's address.
  5. In the "Return address" section, enter your address and any other information you want to include, such as your company name or logo.
  6. To insert a graphic, click on the "Insert Picture" button (it looks like a mountain with a sun in the background) located in the "Return address" section.
  7. In the "Insert Picture" dialog box, browse to the location of the graphic you want to insert, select it, and click "Insert".
  8. Adjust the size and position of the graphic as desired.
  9. Once you're satisfied with the envelope design, click "Add to Document" to add the envelope to your document.
  10. Print the envelope by clicking on "File" in the menu bar, then selecting "Print".
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Look in help under EnvelopeExtra AutoText. Graham Mayor has an excellent web
page on the subject. http://www.gmayor.com/Alternative_Return_Addresses.htm.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Steve Koenig" wrote in message
I would like the full editing capabilities of Word 2003 to prepare
envelopes
including inserting graphics, but when I go to Tools, Letters and
mailings,
then envelopes, I get a small envelope sized area to put in the
information I
want printed on the envelopes. How do I get graphics printed as part of
the
return address?
Thank you,
Steve Koenig

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Koenig

Sometimes an answer to a question can lead to a multitude of other questions.
I think this may be the case here.
First I had to ponder the following:
"To achieve this, create a paragraph style for the return text."
Then I was introduced to "floating" graphics and text as two separate saved
styles?
The goal is simply to print a graphic on the top left corner of the envelope
with the return address directly next to the graphic.

Thank you for responding but I am no closer to getting a graphic to print on
my envelopes.

Steve Koenig

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Look in help under EnvelopeExtra AutoText. Graham Mayor has an excellent web
page on the subject. http://www.gmayor.com/Alternative_Return_Addresses.htm.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Steve Koenig" wrote in message
I would like the full editing capabilities of Word 2003 to prepare
envelopes
including inserting graphics, but when I go to Tools, Letters and
mailings,
then envelopes, I get a small envelope sized area to put in the
information I
want printed on the envelopes. How do I get graphics printed as part of
the
return address?
Thank you,
Steve Koenig

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Koenig

Thank you for your reply Suzanne. I have been able to create a document with
the graphic and return address just as I would like the envelopes to look
like, however, after creating the document, when I go to tools, mail merge,
envelopes, I get an envelope with the default return address not as the
document I just created.
I tried to look at Graham's templates but receive the message, "The macros
in this project are disabled." I would much prefer to learn how to add a
graphic to an envelope than to be forced to use someone's template.
It is really surprising that it is so difficult to add a graphic to an
envelope.
Thank you,
Steve Koenig

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you create a mail merge, tell Word to use the existing document as the
mail merge main document. Sometimes it's easier to start with the document
and create the merge "by hand" using the Mail Merge toolbar. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/E...MailMerges.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you tried just creating your envelope as a document? You might look

at
the downloadable envelope templates Graham offers.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

If it was simple, I wouldn't have taken the trouble to prepare a web page to
explain how it is done.

If you want a graphic on *all* your envelopes then save that graphic as an
autotext entry called EnvelopeExtra1or EnvelopeExtra2. However, most people
want business graphics only on some envelopes or they may want to prepare
different envelopes for different clients. Then the further method in the
web page http://www.gmayor.com/Alternative_Return_Addresses.htm shows a
relatively simnple way to do that.

If you get macro warnings when using my templates then set Macro security to
trust installed templates and add-ins and set your security level to Medium.

If you create an envelope template of your own, then note that it doesn't
work with the the Envelopes & Labels wizard. It produces free standing
documents. From file new. The macro code which calls addresses from
Outlook on my envelope templates is explained at
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm

You can use the envelope document you create from your (or my) envelope
template as the basis for a mail merge by setting the merge document type as
form letter from the merge toolbar (see
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm )

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Look in help under EnvelopeExtra AutoText. Graham Mayor has an
excellent web page on the subject.

http://www.gmayor.com/Alternative_Return_Addresses.htm.
--
Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version
of Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Steve Koenig" wrote in
message ...
I would like the full editing capabilities of Word 2003 to prepare
envelopes
including inserting graphics, but when I go to Tools, Letters and
mailings,
then envelopes, I get a small envelope sized area to put in the
information I
want printed on the envelopes. How do I get graphics printed as
part of the
return address?
Thank you,
Steve Koenig

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Hi,

Sorry, but Word is complex. Some things require more knowledge of its
complexities than do others. I guess for those of us who struggled in the
early days of word processing and computers to print an envelope, this seems
relatively straight-forward.

If you are going to use Word effectively, it is essential that you learn how
styles work. Until you do, you will be struggling uphill and it will feel
like Word is working against you.
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm.
--

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Koenig

Charles,
Thank you for the reply. However, I will say that when you say, " I guess
for those of us who struggled in the early days of word processing and
computers to print an envelope, this seems relatively straight-forward," I
had to laugh. I started word processing on a WANG before IBM launched their
dual disk drive 8088 and did the six diskette shuffle with WordPerfect. Now
that was straightforward from the beginning. Within the reveal code screen
formattng codes could be viewed and changed. If I wanted a fancy return on
an envelope, I simply created it as a document then selected paper type as
envelope.
I appreciate your suggestions to study the various levels of formatting
within Word and have begun this process. In the mean time I am not any
closer to getting a graphic on my envelope.
Thank you for trying to help,
Steve Koenig

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

I guess you are one of us. I, too, started with a dedicated Word Processing
machine (Dictaphone). Moved to MultiMate, then WP. In none of these was an
envelope at all easy. WP has never been straightforward but it has one way
of looking at a document and Word has a completely different way of doing
things. Neither is especially intuitive. I haven't used WP since version 9.
At one time, I had WP macros I had written that were hundreds of lines.

Here is some general info on moving from Word Perfect to Word:

Word and Word Perfect work very differently from one another. Each program's
methods have strengths and weaknesses; but, if you try to use one of these
programs as if it were the other, it is like pushing on a string! You can
easily make a lot of extra work for yourself. In the (short) long term
(weeks rather than years) spending the time to learn Word will save you time
if you are spending any time at all (more than an hour a day) using Word.

See http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ordPerfect.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...AndGotchas.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...Converters.htm
http://businesssoft.about.com/comput.../blconvert.htm
for information on Word for Word Perfect users.

For mo
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart1.htm
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...gExplained.htm
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...latesStore.htm

Function Keys

In Word 2000 (or later) You can get the function keys to display in a
special toolbar at the bottom of the screen if you want (something like
pressing F3 twice in WP). The following macro will do this.
Sub ShowMeFunctionKeys()
Commandbars("Function Key Display").Visible = True
End Sub

Word's Extend key (F8) gives something similar to block processing.
The F4 key will repeat the last action, although sometimes gives very
strange results.

Formatting and Styles

Learn about Styles - really learn!
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm I resisted for years and now
regret every day of those years because although that string was still very
hard to push, it kept getting longer and longer, and had some very important
projects tied to it! Once you understand styles and the Word concept of
organizing things into Chinese boxes everything falls into place and instead
of pushing a string, you can push a button that turns on the very powerful
text processing machine known as Microsoft Word and it will start doing your
work for you instead of running around behind you trying to undo what you
just thought you did.

Converting documents Word / Word Perfect

Some special characters in Word Perfect documents don't convert well to
Word. There is a macro to assist with this described at
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/...html#macroword and can be found
at http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/WPSymbolConv.bas.
This was prepared by Edward Mendelson.
Otherwise, look at the macro from http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212396
Use these on _copies_!

As for converting documents from Word Perfect to _use_ in Word... In a word,
don't plan on it. I would not recommend using converted documents long-term.
They will be filled with formatting anomolies that will get you at the worst
time. This is especially true of any documents containing automatic
numbering or bullets. Try recreating form documents in Word using the
following process:
In Word Perfect (if you still have it, in Word if not) save your files as
text files.
Use your converted files as references to show you how you want your
formatting to look.
Create a new document in Word and insert the text from the text file. Save
this new document as a Word template. Format it the way you want using
styles, not direct formatting. Save it again.
To use a template within Word, use File = New and pick your template. This
will create a new document for you.

Merge documents have special problems and should be recreated from text
files or retyped in Word. To convert data files, consider generating labels
in WP as a document, converting that to Word, and then using
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm to get a new Word
data file.

Note that conversions usually do create documents that look passable and
print OK; the problems I'm referring to have to do with editing / making
changes, that is, using the documents long-term. (See below on reusing
documents vs. using templates.)

Conversion back to Word Perfect: There is a problem (in addition to the ones
mentioned for conversion _to_ Word) with Version 2002 (XP) and later of
Word. The conversion file only works for conversion _to_ Word, not from Word
to Word Perfect! Earlier versions went both ways. To fix this, you need to
find the old conversion file WPFT532.CNV from a Word 97 or Word 2000
installation and copy it to your new installation, replacing the file of the
same name. Note, the change making the file one-way was done as a security
measure. While I don't know of any problems the old file causes, keep the
new installation's file somewhere as a backup just in case.

Boilerplate and Forms

In WP a lot of people use macros to hold chunks of text - boilerplate. In
Word this function is filled by Templates, AutoText and AutoCorrect, not
macros. Follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebre...s.htm#AutoText for more
information on these tools.

You can use FILLIN and ASK fields or UserForms to query the user. For more
about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

Reusing Documents vs. Using templates

General practice in WP is to have a document and copy and edit it to create
a new document. This is not good practice in Word. In Word, construct a
good, tight, template for your documents and use that template when
constructing new documents. Among other things, this can avoid embarrassing
"metadata" (http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/metadata.htm) and things
like surprise headers and footers from creeping into new documents.

It's a lot of reading, I know. It's OK to chunk it down and do a bit each
day, but I would recommend that you make it a top priority to do that bit
each day. In the (short) long run, it will save you both time and grief.
--

Charles Kenyon

See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs which is awesome!

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

an envelope, I simply created it as a document then selected paper type as
envelope.

FWIW, this is exactly what we (some of us, anyway) are suggesting that you
do. Create an envelope template with the desired return address and use it
(instead of the Envelopes and Labels dialog) to create your envelopes. The
downside to this is that Word's Envelopes dialog for some reason offers a
lot more envelope sizes (at least for my printer) than the Page Setup
dialog, though I suppose you could get around that by using Add to Document
in the Envelopes dialog, then detaching the document from the envelope.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Koenig

Suzanne,
Thanks for the reply. I'll be spending a lot of time on Cgharles thoughtful
information. In the meantime I'm going with your suggesation to simply
create a document then choose paper type as envelope. Funny, butwhen I tried
thius, the envelope was vertical not horizontal and I did not see where to
change the orientation.
Thank you,
Steve Koenig

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Orientation is changed in File Page Setup...
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

an envelope, I simply created it as a document then selected paper type
as
envelope.

FWIW, this is exactly what we (some of us, anyway) are suggesting that
you
do. Create an envelope template with the desired return address and use
it
(instead of the Envelopes and Labels dialog) to create your envelopes.
The
downside to this is that Word's Envelopes dialog for some reason offers a
lot more envelope sizes (at least for my printer) than the Page Setup
dialog, though I suppose you could get around that by using Add to
Document
in the Envelopes dialog, then detaching the document from the envelope.

so
all may benefit.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Koenig

Charles,
Thank you for the very exhaustive list of web sites regarding
Word/WordPerfect differences and other Word tutorial sites.
I must remind even myself my goal was to print a graphic on an envelope, not
to become a Word MVP.
I feel like the parent that called the doctor to inquire about treatment for
my son's scrapped knee to be given a semester by semester profile of course
requuirements that would eventually lead to a residency in medicine.
What I got out of the essays regarding Word versus WordPerfect was that
reveal codes does not work in Word as well as in WordPerfect because in Word
the formatting isn't placed in the document at the point where it was
entered but in an unreadable (via hex text editor) portion of the file as an
appendage to the text. Also Word has formatting at various levels, such as
individual character, paragraphs then on an even more macro level in what are
called styles. Like circles within circles, which, unfortunately isn't how I
think.
Perhaps these impressions are all wrong and if so, please help me to better
understand what I missed.
I checked with several people I know that work full time positions in an
offrice setting and asked about their use of styles and other concepts I was
introduced to in my quest to print a graphic on an envelope and each one said
they just typed the business letter or cover sheet and that was it. These
aren't obviously publishers of complex documents but what I would consider
the majority of users.
When teaching statistics, when asked a question I could not answer clearly
and informatively, I would instead throw a bushell basket of statistical
knowledge their way and hope it appeased them.
I will use your reference material as a source for advanced Word training,
but getting that graphic on the envelope is still an elusive matter.
Thank you,
Steve Koenig

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

I was responding to your remark about Styles. Graham is the expert in these
newsgroups on envelopes. His pages on the subject show how to do what you
want. You said you couldn't follow his instructions because you didn't
understand Styles. That a fourteen-year-old can get behind the wheel of an
SUV and get it from one place to another doesn't tell me that the Driver's
Ed class that hasn't been taken yet is unnecessary. It tells me that the
fourteen-year old is lucky. Many people can use Word without understanding
it at all and stay lucky. How many of those people could tell you how to put
a graphic on your envelope?

The references I gave you won't make you an MVP. I've read them, and I'm not
an MVP. They will help you be an effective user of Word. The question is
whether you use Word enough to want to invest a small amount of time to
learn how to make it work for you. I can't answer that question. I can
predict that if you currently spend three hours a day using Word now,
spending half an hour a day on those references until you get through all of
them will save you time (net, total) within a period of two months. You
should be able to cut that three hours to less than two within the first
month of study. If appropriate, during that two hours you'll produce more
than you have been in three. You'll also enjoy your work more.

If the references on styles seem too dense, try
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...sOnStyles.html. Shauna's site is
very accurate and seems fairly easy to digest.
--

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

The easiest way to pub a graphic on an envelop is to use Publisher. But you
didn't ask which program might make the process easier.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Koenig

Charles,
Thanks for the reply.
Now were having fun with analogies. Weve gone from medical school to now a
14 year old SUV driver. Its not exactly putting a graphic on an envelope but
it does help reduce the frustration in not being able to do what should be a
simple task.
I know everyone learns best their own way. Ive always learned new card
games by dealing the cards and having someone tell me what card to play, or
hold, or whatever. A couple practice hands later and I understand the game
and the reasons for the previous suggestions. When someone tries to tell me
about a new card game, its like your analogy or trying to learn how to solve
quadratic equations to a deaf person without paper and pencil. Lets just
shuffle the cards and figure out this game.
I hope a Word guru were to put together a tutorial that started out with the
premise that the newbie had a graphic and wanted to put it on an envelope.
Now the first thing you have to do is€¦ then push the following keys€¦ It may
seem simplistic but I bet along the way the neophyte would get exposed to
Styles and all other important aspects of Word.
Just a suggestion, but what do I know. I cant even get a graphic to print
on an envelope.
Best Regards,
Steve Koenig

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Koenig

JoAnn Paules,
Thank you for the suggestion.
After spending quite a bit of time on the Microsoft web sites and through
Google searches about possible upgrades from my student/teacher version of
Office, I
am now under the impression upgrades aren't available to Office Professional.
All I really wanted to add was, in fact, Publisher, which I currently do not
have.
You make a compelling arguement to do the upgrade that would include
Publisher. Well, it wouldn't technically be an upgrade but a brand new
purchase. That would be my only choice in adding Publisher, would it not?
The $300.00 plus upgrade seemed a shame to be adding one missing component of
my student/teacher version, but it is what it is, is it?
Best Regards,
Steve Koenig

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Hi,

Sorry, but Word is complex. Some things require more knowledge of its
complexities than do others. I guess for those of us who struggled in
the
early days of word processing and computers to print an envelope, this
seems
relatively straight-forward.

If you are going to use Word effectively, it is essential that you
learn
how
styles work. Until you do, you will be struggling uphill and it will
feel
like Word is working against you.
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm.
--
Charles Kenyon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

You can't upgrade STE. You can buy Publisher without have Office Pro - or
Office anything. Publisher is available as a standalone product.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Can you put a graphic on any other kind of Word document? Then you can put a
graphic on an envelope. If you want to be able to address envelopes using
the Tools | Letters and Mailings | Envelopes and Labels dialog, then the
EnvelopeExtra AutoText entry is the only way to do it. If you are willing to
create your own envelope template, then it is relatively easy.

1. Create a new document based on Normal.dot.

2. Change the paper size to your desired envelope size, making sure to
change the orientation to landscape.

3. Change the margins to something more suitable for an envelope (but not
too small for your printer to handle).

4. Change the default Normal style paragraph to Envelope Return. Type your
return address. Format it any way you like.

5. Press Enter. Change this new paragraph to the Envelope Address style. By
default, this style is framed. The frame position is designed for U.S. #10
envelopes, and the text is wildly indented inside the frame; I've never been
sure of the rationale for this but can only assume it was to facilitate
adding unindented notations such as Confidential or Personal or First Class
or whatever. You can modify any of these settings, however, using Format
Paragraph and Format Frame (you can even, if you like, remove the frame and
set the paragraph position using a left indent and Space Before). Since this
will be a template, don't type anything in the address frame.

6. Now you'll insert your graphic. I assume you want it wrapped, so place
the insertion point at the beginning of the return address and insert the
graphic. It will probably be inserted inline, but when you change the
wrapping, it will be anchored either to the return address or to an extra
paragraph that may have been created. If the latter, drag the anchor to the
return address and delete the empty paragraph.

7. Drag the graphic where you want it.

8. Save the document as a template.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mole mole is offline

i use word page set up to size of your envelope, ie dl 110x220.
insert picture in the normal way, resize in normal way drag side bars etc,
then saveas. dlenvelope or what ever name you want to give it, you then print
the envelope, before or after adding the address, this way it can be reused,
i am not an expert, but i have been doing it this way for years, and have
many saved pictures on the right size envelpes c5 and th eabove mostly, hope
this helps
--
thank you Keith