Opening a document in a protected form

Old December 24th 04, 02:31 PM
CheeryNan

Default Opening a document in a protected form

I have a problem creating a Word form (Word 2002). I created a form which has
an embedded .pdf document that users need to click on for more information. I
set up an unprotected section and placed the document in that section. After
I protect the document, everything seems to work great with one exception.
Although the user can now click on the document and open it, they can also
add text to this area. Is there any way for me to embed a document and allow
the user to ONLY click on the document to open it and not allow them to add
text anywhere in the form? This is a contract and, therefore, adding text
cannot be allowed. I tried to add form frames but got the same thing. I'm
thinking that maybe a macro could be written to unprotect the form, open the
document and then protect the document again, but I wouldn't know how to
write that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?
Old January 5th 05, 10:17 PM
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi =?Utf-8?B?Q2hlZXJ5TmFu?=,

I have a problem creating a Word form (Word 2002). I created a form which has
an embedded .pdf document that users need to click on for more information. I
set up an unprotected section and placed the document in that section. After
I protect the document, everything seems to work great with one exception.
Although the user can now click on the document and open it, they can also
add text to this area. Is there any way for me to embed a document and allow
the user to ONLY click on the document to open it and not allow them to add
text anywhere in the form? This is a contract and, therefore, adding text
cannot be allowed. I tried to add form frames but got the same thing. I'm
thinking that maybe a macro could be written to unprotect the form, open the
document and then protect the document again, but I wouldn't know how to
write that.

This would be your only option, but even that wouldn't be 100% secure.

Basically, you could start be recording a macro doing exactly these steps:
- Before you start, make sure the PDF file is selected
- Start recording
- Unprotect
- Open the PDF file via the Edit menu
- Reprotect

Copy the code that was recorded into your reply, here, and we can (I hope) show
you how to edit it in order for it to work correctly.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Old January 7th 05, 02:41 AM
CheeryNan

Hi Cindy,

Thank you for your assistance. I don't know if this issue can be resolved or
not. When I tried to record the macro, the option was greyed out. (I went to
Tools, Macro, and wasn't able to choose Record New Macro). I guess it's
because the form is protected?

Hi =?Utf-8?B?Q2hlZXJ5TmFu?=,

Old January 10th 05, 11:18 AM
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi =?Utf-8?B?Q2hlZXJ5TmFu?=,

When I tried to record the macro, the option was greyed out. (I went to
Tools, Macro, and wasn't able to choose Record New Macro). I guess it's
because the form is protected?

duhMy bad. Of course that's the reason. Unprotect manually, then record
opening the PDF file.

In the forms section of my website you'll find macro code to put around
this code, for the unprotecting / reprotecting part

To adapt your recorded code to always open the correct PDF object, I need
to know a couple of things, first: Is the PDF object formatted with any
text-flow formatting?

Old August 1st 22, 05:05 AM
stickyna stickyna is offline

Have you ever played Stickman Boost? Let's click this game and you will find the great way to relax and kill your boring time
Old August 1st 22, 07:34 AM
ruby167 ruby167 is offline
Banned

Thank you for producing such a fascinating essay on this subject. This has sparked a lot of thought in me, and I'm looking forward to reading more.
dordle