Hi Ho Silver

Default Using "Find and Replace" for Symbols

Using Word 2002/XP.

I am looking for certain Symbols in the text, for example ® or & etc. I
will typically copy the symbol and using Ctrl + V, paste it into the "Find
What" in the Find and Replace dialog box. However, one particular symbol I
am looking for is the ¬ (the "Not Sign") which is ASCII decimal 0172.
When I try to copy and paste that symbol into the "Find What" box, nothing
pastes, and the "Find Next" button grays out. I have experimented with
copying and pasting a variety of other symbols (from Insert/Symbol) and all
that I have tried will paste in except that ¬ [I realize the ¬ symbol may
not transmit with this posted message, but I am talking about the "Not
Sign"].

Any hints would be appreciated. I have a longish document that is full of
"Not Signs" and I want to copy and replace them. Thanks.
--
John Hanley

To send return email:
jphanley
@
ix.
netcom.
com

Pat Garard

G'Day John,

The '¬' symbol can appear in a Word Document in TWO un-related
forms:

1. As itself (0172), in which case you CAN copy it, and paste it into
the "Find What" box.

2. As Word's representation of an optional hyphen, in which case you
can NOT copy/paste into "Find What". You can, however, represent it
as the character-pair '^-' in "Find What". (Or click "Special" button, and
choose "Optional Hyphen".)
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

[...]

Hi Ho Silver

Ok, I learned something here about the dual sources of the '¬' symbol. And
indeed, the '¬' symbols in my document turn out to be optional hyphens. And
I was able to find and replace all of them in one pass by using the
"Optional Hyphen" selection from the "Special" menu. Mission accomplished!

However, for Pat Garard: I find that the "Not Sign" itself (0172)
definitely will _not_ paste into the "Find What" box. I test this by
Insert/ Symbol and
clicking on the "Not Sign" picture, and Insert. Then I copy and try to
paste the inserted
symbol. In fact, neither the "Not Sign" nor the "Cut and Paste" version of
entering the
"Optional Hyphen" will paste. The only ways I can get the blamed thing into
the "Find What"
box is by either directly entering ^- or by choosing "Optional Hyphen" from
the menu. Of course, this is now academic for me, since your guidance
solved my direct problem.

Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps a version difference, but I have no trouble pasting the ¬ into the
Find dialog in Word 2003.

[...]

Find and Replace GREEK symbols in XP, 2K & 97 Jazz Microsoft Word Help 3 April 8th 05 08:13 PM
Problem with function "Find and Replace" in Word. Pat Microsoft Word Help 3 March 16th 05 02:04 PM
Find and Replace Michael R New Users 11 January 22nd 05 06:31 PM
Find and Replace anomaly BruceM Microsoft Word Help 7 January 18th 05 06:47 PM
find and replace symbols Tewodaj New Users 8 January 11th 05 03:22 AM