JimJah

Default Double-click default for .dot files

I have a user that double-clicks Word Template files (*.dot) and when he
does, Word opens the actual template file instead of creating a new doc
(.doc file) which seems to be the default for all other users.

Keep in mind the users have the actual .dot files stored and prefer working
from them right for the icons, which is why they double-click. All users
except one will have new .doc file created based on the .dot file.

The .dot files are stored on a network drive that they all have access to.

Any advice on how to change the default double-click action on a .dot file?

Thanks!

JJ

Jay Freedman

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:43:12 -0700, "JimJah" wrote:

I have a user that double-clicks Word Template files (*.dot) and when he
does, Word opens the actual template file instead of creating a new doc
(.doc file) which seems to be the default for all other users.

Keep in mind the users have the actual .dot files stored and prefer working
from them right for the icons, which is why they double-click. All users
except one will have new .doc file created based on the .dot file.

The .dot files are stored on a network drive that they all have access to.

Any advice on how to change the default double-click action on a .dot file?

Thanks!

JJ

The double-click will execute the default action for the selected file
type. It isn't generally known that you can change the default action,
and this apparently is what happened to your user (although I have no
idea *how* it happened without human intervention).

To change it back:

- Open Windows Explorer (the file manager thingy, not Internet
Explorer).
- Click Tools File Options File Types.
- Select the DOT file type in the list.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Normally the default action for DOT files is New, but the symptoms
indicate that your user has it set to Open. Click New and then click
the Set Default button.
- OK out of all dialogs and try double-clicking a template's icon.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

A quick way to "reset" Word's file associations to the default is to
"reregister" Word. To do this, type

winword /r

at the Start | Run prompt and press Enter.

news