Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Menikos Menikos is offline

Default FIX WORD 07 PAGE LAYOUT SETTING

Hello

My current setting (since installation) under Page Layout , like, Size &
Spacing is Letter and O pt for Spacing Before and 10 pt for After
respectively. I want to change that and have my new setting to remain, so
whenever I open any new document I still have that new setting.

I don't seem to find the function to effect this, your advice much
appreciated. Thanks.

Menk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Menikos

Menikos wrote:
My current setting (since installation) under Page Layout , like, Size &
Spacing is Letter and O pt for Spacing Before and 10 pt for After
respectively. I want to change that and have my new setting to remain, so
whenever I open any new document I still have that new setting.

as per default, any "new" document is based on your copy of Normal.dotm
(might be Normal.dotx). And most styles in there inherit their setting
from the style "Normal". There are various methods to change this ...

I don't seem to find the function to effect this, your advice much
appreciated. Thanks.

Open a new document. Display the style taskbar (in the Ribbon: Start |
Styles, click on the little icon in the lower right corner). Locate
"Normal". When you hover with the mouse over it, the Pilcrow sign
(paragraph mark) changes to a black triangle (indicating there's a
dropdown list available). Click on it, then on "Modify".

In the next dialog, click on Format | Paragraph. Change the settings to
your liking. Then hit OK. Now, before closing the outer dialog, there
are two radio buttons on the bottom of it. The first one reads "this
document only" (or close to it: I'm seeing a different language version
right now :-)). Choose the other option! Then click OK.

When you close Word, you are first asked whether you want to save the
changes to the document (which you don't have to). And then a message
should appear to the effect that your Normal.dotm will be changed (which
you will have to confirm).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Menikos Menikos is offline

Hello Robert

Thanks for responding. I was able follow your steps correctly, however, I've
not been able to change the Paper Size from Letter to A4. I tried doing that
under Page Setup but could not fix the size I want throughout. Where can I
do this?

Menk

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Hello Menikos

Menikos wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Menk

Menikos wrote:
Thanks for responding. I was able follow your steps correctly, however, I've
not been able to change the Paper Size from Letter to A4.
I tried doing that
under Page Setup but could not fix the size I want throughout. Where can I
do this?

sorry, didn't spot the page size issue.

Since that is a section property and not a style, you have to actually
locate your global template (Normal.dotm or Normal.dotx), open it
(choose "OPEN" instead of "NEW" in the context menu), then change the
setting, save, and close Word.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Not at all. Paper size, like anything else in the Page Setup dialog, can be
changed in Normal.dot by making the change in Page Seup (without making any
other changes) and clicking Default...

Menikos wrote:
Thanks for responding. I was able follow your steps correctly, however,
I've not been able to change the Paper Size from Letter to A4. I tried
doing that under Page Setup but could not fix the size I want throughout.
Where can I do this?

sorry, didn't spot the page size issue.

Since that is a section property and not a style, you have to actually
locate your global template (Normal.dotm or Normal.dotx), open it (choose
"OPEN" instead of "NEW" in the context menu), then change the setting,
save, and close Word.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Menikos wrote:
Ok Robert, got that too. Once again, thanks for your help.

you're welcome -- and see what Suzanne wrote (possible without locating
Normal after all ...).

[The funny thing is: I work on many different computers throughout the
week, sometimes throughout the day, and hence never really bother with
Normal.dot at all. Standard in Normal could be 15 pt pink italics for
all I care -- unless I'm doing some one-of-a-kind labels job :-)]

Greetinx
Robewrt
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Menikos Menikos is offline

Hello Suzanne

Thanks for sharing. It's comforting to know that there is a lot of expertise
out there for the asking that non-technical people like me dare to face the
computer!

Cheers to all of you.

Menk