laraak laraak is offline
Junior Member

Default Showing full embeded document in Word

I am trying to embed a Word document into a master Word document. I would like the embedded document to be linked to the original so that it is updated when the original is modified.

However, when I use the Insert/Object feature only the first page of the document is displayed.

How can I get the full document to display in the master document?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you are linking or embedding an entire file, only the first page will
be accessible in Word.

Since you are dealing with a Word document, use the INCLUDETEXT field
instead. In the Insert File dialog box, locate the file that you want to
insert. Click the arrow on the Insert button and choose Insert as Link.

You can update an INCLUDETEXT field by selecting the field and pressing F9.
Conversely, you can edit the field content directly and use Ctrl+Shift+F7 to
save the changes back to the linked file.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"laraak" skrev i meddelandet

I am trying to embed a Word document into a master Word document. I
would like the embedded document to be linked to the original so that it
is updated when the original is modified.

However, when I use the Insert/Object feature only the first page of the
document is displayed.

How can I get the full document to display in the master document?

Thanks.

--
laraak

laraak laraak is offline
Junior Member

I have tried this and unfortunately two things happen. First the document seems to lock up and I cannot view it in Print Layout or Print Preview. It does not show the graphic. Also the document did not print.

Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post

"laraak" skrev i meddelandet

I am trying to embed a Word document into a master Word document. I
would like the embedded document to be linked to the original so that it
is updated when the original is modified.

However, when I use the Insert/Object feature only the first page of the
document is displayed.

How can I get the full document to display in the master document?

Thanks.

--
laraak
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If it's a very large document, that might explain why it freezes (or appears
to). I'm assuming you are inserting a Word document (*.doc or *.docx)?

What does the document contain? Anything more besides pictures and text?
Could the text be formatted as hidden?

Since pictures don't show up, take a look at
http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/InvisibleGraphics.htm.

One more question: I'm guessing you are the person who posted a similar
question in the Microsoft community? In that case, note that it is a good
idea to mention the cross-posting.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"laraak" wrote in message

I have tried this and unfortunately two things happen. First the
document seems to lock up and I cannot view it in Print Layout or Print
Preview. It does not show the graphic. Also the document did not print.

Any thoughts?

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;494086']When you are linking or embedding an entire file, only the
first page will
be accessible in Word.

Since you are dealing with a Word document, use the INCLUDETEXT field
instead. In the Insert File dialog box, locate the file that you want to

insert. Click the arrow on the Insert button and choose Insert as Link.

You can update an INCLUDETEXT field by selecting the field and pressing
F9.
Conversely, you can edit the field content directly and use
Ctrl+Shift+F7 to
save the changes back to the linked file.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

...-