Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeffrey Wilson Jeffrey Wilson is offline

Default Formatting a book with pictures in word

How can I add a caption to an image that I import into Word? Also, can the
image be fixed to 'move' with text as you add or delete text above or below
as you write a story?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?SmVmZnJleSBXaWxzb24=?=,

How can I add a caption to an image that I import into Word? Also, can the
image be fixed to 'move' with text as you add or delete text above or below
as you write a story?

In order to give you exact instructions we need to know which version of Word
you have. For the first, you'll find it in the Insert menu; depending on your
version of Word, under "References".

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeffrey Wilson Jeffrey Wilson is offline

I have Word 2003. What I want to do is write a documentary book of my
families history. I have old pictures to scan, so need captions for those.
Then, I want to add some text to say who or where the picture refers to. Or
in some circumstances a picture of a headstone in a cemetery, but need to add
more info. What I've found is that if I insert some text or another picture
the original picture and text do not move up or down together. Is word best?
or is there some other software better suited for this. I have the entire
Office 2003 suite.

Thanks for your help

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?SmVmZnJleSBXaWxzb24=?=,

How can I add a caption to an image that I import into Word? Also, can the
image be fixed to 'move' with text as you add or delete text above or below
as you write a story?

In order to give you exact instructions we need to know which version of Word
you have. For the first, you'll find it in the Insert menu; depending on your
version of Word, under "References".

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Word can handle all of this pretty easily provided you're not trying to wrap
text around full-page graphics. There are two ways to insert graphics
("pictures") in Word. If you insert them In Line With Text, then your
picture is in a separate paragraph and moves with the text. If you apply
some other wrapping style, then the picture is anchored to a text paragraph.
You can have a picture by itself (or with its caption) on a page, but you
can't have text on the previous subsequent pages flow around it.

One way to keep pictures and captions together is to use the "Keep with
next" property for the appropriate paragraph styles. This works for inline
graphics. If you want to wrap the graphics, put both picture and caption
together in a frame and wrap text around that. One simple way to deal with
pictures (especially if you want them two or more abreast) is to put them in
a table with the appropriate number of columns and rows (you can put the
captions in the same row or a separate one).

For more, see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/figu...thcaption.html

"Jeffrey Wilson" wrote in message
I have Word 2003. What I want to do is write a documentary book of my
families history. I have old pictures to scan, so need captions for

those.
Then, I want to add some text to say who or where the picture refers to.

Or
in some circumstances a picture of a headstone in a cemetery, but need to

add
more info. What I've found is that if I insert some text or another

picture
the original picture and text do not move up or down together. Is word

best?
or is there some other software better suited for this. I have the

entire
Office 2003 suite.

Thanks for your help

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?SmVmZnJleSBXaWxzb24=?=,

How can I add a caption to an image that I import into Word? Also,

can the
image be fixed to 'move' with text as you add or delete text above or

below
as you write a story?

In order to give you exact instructions we need to know which version of

Word
you have. For the first, you'll find it in the Insert menu; depending on

your
version of Word, under "References".

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland