Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pjburton42 pjburton42 is offline

Default How do I stop Word putting big spaces between lines?

I scanned a document using OmniPage Pro. and saved it as a Microsoft Word
2000XP.doc Some lines have very large spaces between them. I have set
single line spacing. How do I get proper single line spacing?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jan 28, 4:38*pm, pjburton42
wrote:
I scanned a document using OmniPage Pro. and saved it as a Microsoft Word
2000XP.doc *Some lines have very large spaces between them. *I have set
single line spacing. *How do I get proper single line spacing?

Turn on your non-printing characters (click the paragraph mark in the
toolbar) and see if OmniPage didn't insert a bunch of empty paragraphs
between some lines.

Get rid of them with Find and Replace: Find ^p^p (two paragraph marks
in a row), Replace with ^p

There might also be empty spaces in those empty paragraphs -- you can
remove them by Find ^p (that is, type a space before ^p) and again
replace with ^p.

(It wouldn't hurt to first replace all multiple spaces with a single
space -- just Find two spaces and Replace with one space, and repeat
until it tell you it found 0 examples.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pjburton42 pjburton42 is offline

Thanks. There were some empty paragraphs, which I deleted, and also some
section breaks, which can be removed by putting the cursor before the break
and pressing 'delete'.
I also cleared some of the space by choosing 'clear formatting' from the
style menu.

"grammatim" wrote:

On Jan 28, 4:38 pm, pjburton42
wrote:
I scanned a document using OmniPage Pro. and saved it as a Microsoft Word
2000XP.doc Some lines have very large spaces between them. I have set
single line spacing. How do I get proper single line spacing?

Turn on your non-printing characters (click the paragraph mark in the
toolbar) and see if OmniPage didn't insert a bunch of empty paragraphs
between some lines.

Get rid of them with Find and Replace: Find ^p^p (two paragraph marks
in a row), Replace with ^p

There might also be empty spaces in those empty paragraphs -- you can
remove them by Find ^p (that is, type a space before ^p) and again
replace with ^p.

(It wouldn't hurt to first replace all multiple spaces with a single
space -- just Find two spaces and Replace with one space, and repeat
until it tell you it found 0 examples.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ronaldnuma ronaldnuma is offline

I did the find and replace ^p^p with ^p which worked fine eliminating the
large gap between lines. However, as soon as I added another line of text,
the same gap reappeared. This happens each time I start a new MSWord
document. How do I eliminate this problem forever.

"grammatim" wrote:

On Jan 28, 4:38 pm, pjburton42
wrote:
I scanned a document using OmniPage Pro. and saved it as a Microsoft Word
2000XP.doc Some lines have very large spaces between them. I have set
single line spacing. How do I get proper single line spacing?

Turn on your non-printing characters (click the paragraph mark in the
toolbar) and see if OmniPage didn't insert a bunch of empty paragraphs
between some lines.

Get rid of them with Find and Replace: Find ^p^p (two paragraph marks
in a row), Replace with ^p

There might also be empty spaces in those empty paragraphs -- you can
remove them by Find ^p (that is, type a space before ^p) and again
replace with ^p.

(It wouldn't hurt to first replace all multiple spaces with a single
space -- just Find two spaces and Replace with one space, and repeat
until it tell you it found 0 examples.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You might have a different problem from pjburton42.

Go to Format Paragraph and see if the Line Spacing is set to
something weird instead of a normal "double" or even "single" -- maybe
there's an "exactly" value that's very large. Also check that "Space
After" and "Space Before" are set to 0.

On Aug 20, 1:30*pm, ronaldnuma
wrote:
I did the find and replace ^p^p with ^p which worked fine eliminating the
large gap between lines. However, as soon as I added another line of text,
the same gap reappeared. This happens each time I start a new MSWord
document. How do I eliminate this problem forever.

"grammatim" wrote:
On Jan 28, 4:38 pm, pjburton42
wrote:
I scanned a document using OmniPage Pro. and saved it as a Microsoft Word
2000XP.doc *Some lines have very large spaces between them. *I have set
single line spacing. *How do I get proper single line spacing?

Turn on your non-printing characters (click the paragraph mark in the
toolbar) and see if OmniPage didn't insert a bunch of empty paragraphs
between some lines.

Get rid of them with Find and Replace: Find ^p^p (two paragraph marks
in a row), Replace with ^p

There might also be empty spaces in those empty paragraphs -- you can
remove them by Find *^p (that is, type a space before ^p) and again
replace with ^p.

(It wouldn't hurt to first replace all multiple spaces with a single
space -- just Find two spaces and Replace with one space, and repeat
until it tell you it found 0 examples.)-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ronaldnuma ronaldnuma is offline

Thanks for the response. This seems to be a paragraph problem as simply
typing line to line, the second line is one space down as should it be.
Paragraph is set to: Indent = left 0, right 0; spacing = before 0pt, after
0pt; special = (none); line spacing = single. When view is normal, paragraph
spacing is one line as it should be. However, when view is print layout, a
great space appears between paragraphs with no editing symbol at all between
paragraph symbol. Something automatic in Word creats this gap in every new
document I create. Previously created documents open fine without this
paragraph spacing. What could it be?

wrote:
I did the find and replace ^p^p with ^p which worked fine eliminating the
large gap between lines. However, as soon as I added another line of text,
the same gap reappeared. This happens each time I start a new MSWord
document. How do I eliminate this problem forever.

"grammatim" wrote:
On Jan 28, 4:38 pm, pjburton42
wrote:
I scanned a document using OmniPage Pro. and saved it as a Microsoft Word
2000XP.doc Some lines have very large spaces between them. I have set
single line spacing. How do I get proper single line spacing?

Turn on your non-printing characters (click the paragraph mark in the
toolbar) and see if OmniPage didn't insert a bunch of empty paragraphs
between some lines.

Get rid of them with Find and Replace: Find ^p^p (two paragraph marks
in a row), Replace with ^p

There might also be empty spaces in those empty paragraphs -- you can
remove them by Find ^p (that is, type a space before ^p) and again
replace with ^p.

(It wouldn't hurt to first replace all multiple spaces with a single
space -- just Find two spaces and Replace with one space, and repeat
until it tell you it found 0 examples.)-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On the Layout tab of Page Setup, change the vertical alignment from
Justified to Top.

wrote:
I did the find and replace ^p^p with ^p which worked fine eliminating
the
large gap between lines. However, as soon as I added another line of
text,
the same gap reappeared. This happens each time I start a new MSWord
document. How do I eliminate this problem forever.

"grammatim" wrote:
On Jan 28, 4:38 pm, pjburton42
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ronaldnuma ronaldnuma is offline

Thank you Suzanne, that worked.

wrote:
I did the find and replace ^p^p with ^p which worked fine eliminating
the
large gap between lines. However, as soon as I added another line of
text,
the same gap reappeared. This happens each time I start a new MSWord
document. How do I eliminate this problem forever.

"grammatim" wrote:
On Jan 28, 4:38 pm, pjburton42
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
traci718 traci718 is offline

I followed all the steps the ^p replacing,and there were 38 of them. Then did
the justified to the top setting and all this worked. No more typing one
sentence hitting enter and the next sentence starts at the bottom of the
page.
But I opened a new page and tried a couple sentences to see if it still
worked correctly, but it didn't. I have to change the setting from justified
to top so all sentences stay together.
Please help.
And if you can tell me how to get back to a plain sheet of paper instead of
a graph paper each time I open a new document cause I have no ideal how that
happened. I opened it up and there it was.

"pjburton42" wrote:

I scanned a document using OmniPage Pro. and saved it as a Microsoft Word
2000XP.doc Some lines have very large spaces between them. I have set
single line spacing. How do I get proper single line spacing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

For the top justification problem, you have to do the same fix in the Normal.dot
template (or Normal.dotm if you have Word 2007). After changing the setting in
the Page Setup dialog, click the Default button at the bottom of the dialog to
change the Normal template.

To remove the grid, if you have Word 2003 or earlier, display the Drawing
toolbar. Click the Draw button at the left end, click Grid, and uncheck the
"Display gridlines on screen" option. If you have Word 2007, click the View tab
of the ribbon and uncheck the Gridlines box in the Show/Hide group.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"pjburton42" wrote:

I scanned a document using OmniPage Pro. and saved it as a Microsoft Word
2000XP.doc Some lines have very large spaces between them. I have set
single line spacing. How do I get proper single line spacing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In a new Blank Document, without making any other changes, go to Page Setup
and change the vertical alignment to Top. Then click Default... and answer
yes to the ensuing dialog.

http://word.mvps.org

"pjburton42" wrote:

I scanned a document using OmniPage Pro. and saved it as a Microsoft Word
2000XP.doc Some lines have very large spaces between them. I have set
single line spacing. How do I get proper single line spacing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lovehunter lovehunter is offline