Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Artemis Darkdreamer Artemis Darkdreamer is offline

Default Absolute Value (math)

How do I insert the "absolute value" sign in an equation in Word?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Absolute Value (math)

To insert the absolute value symbol in an equation in Word, you can follow these steps:
  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the absolute value symbol in your equation.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab in the top menu.
  3. Click on "Equation" in the "Symbols" section.
  4. In the "Equation Tools" tab that appears, click on "Design" in the top menu.
  5. Click on the "Bracket" button in the "Structures" section.
  6. Select the "Absolute Value" option from the drop-down menu.

Alternatively, you can also use the keyboard shortcut "Alt + |" (hold down the Alt key and press the pipe or vertical bar key) to insert the absolute value symbol directly into your equation.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

If you mean the two vertical lines, on the keyboard (well mine anyway) there
is a vertical line, sometimes called "pipe", on my keyboard it is on the same
key as \ but I have seen it above the Tab key on others.
This symbo, is also on the Insert Symbol listing between the open/close
brace brackets just after the"z".
Hope this helps
DeanH

How do I insert the "absolute value" sign in an equation in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

You didn't say which version of Word you're using. That information is
nearly always important when posting a question about Word.

Click on Insert. (Whether it's a menu or a tab on the Ribbon depends
on which version of Word you're using.) Find Object and click it. In
the list that appears, find Microsoft Equation 3.0. Click it. If
Microsoft Equation 3.0 isn't in the list, you can add it to the list,
but you may need your Office CD to do it.

With Equation Editor open, you'll see 2 rows of buttons. On the second
row, click the first one on the left. The absolute value template is
the first one in the second row. Click it. You'll get both bars, so
type whatever you need inside, then press the Tab key to get outside
the template. Continue typing the equation, then press the Esc key to
exit the Equation Editor.

The advantage this has over using the 2 vertical bar keys from the
keyboard is that it's the "real" absolute value symbol, rather than a
work-around. It'll look better.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor