Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
binar binar is offline

Default CGM Graphic Import Problem

Fellow Forum Members,

I'm importing CGM graphic files into Word for a technical manual I'm working
on. First problem I'm having is that the Thumbnail view in Word does not show
a thumbnail view of the grahic in the Import Picture Dialog Window. Is there
anyway to add CGM graphic format thumbnail view capability in Word?

Second, I'm editing my CGM illustrations files using Corel Draw and then
export them as CGM. The text in the Corel illustration is ARIAL. But when I
import the CGM illustration into Word for some reason I don't understand WORD
is changing the all the ARIAL fonts into Times New Roman. Is there anyway to
tell WORD that all imported graphics need to be imported as ARIAL?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

In answer to your first question - no!
I suspect the problem with text conversion is related to the Corel
converter.
Given all the graphics formats you could have chosen, why did you choose
CGM?

binar wrote:
Fellow Forum Members,

I'm importing CGM graphic files into Word for a technical manual I'm
working on. First problem I'm having is that the Thumbnail view in
Word does not show a thumbnail view of the grahic in the Import
Picture Dialog Window. Is there anyway to add CGM graphic format
thumbnail view capability in Word?

Second, I'm editing my CGM illustrations files using Corel Draw and
then export them as CGM. The text in the Corel illustration is
ARIAL. But when I import the CGM illustration into Word for some
reason I don't understand WORD is changing the all the ARIAL fonts
into Times New Roman. Is there anyway to tell WORD that all imported
graphics need to be imported as ARIAL?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
binar binar is offline

Graham,
Thanks for the post. To answer your question the CGM format is widely used
among all the Defense Contractors I have worked for in the past. This file
format has a small file size and produces ultrasharp lines since the artwork
is made up of line objects and not pixels like a JPEG or TIFF file format.
It's exported from apps like ProE, Inventor, AutoCad for use in technical
manuals. The problem I'm supspecting is with WORD. Corel displays ARIAL,
and when I import the CGM file I exported out of COREL into some other app
like Adobe Illustrator the fonts still display as ARIAL. It's only when I
import the COREL CGM export file into WORD that all of the ARIAL fonts get
mysteriously changed to TIMES NEW ROMAN. I'm guessing WORD has to have a
setting some where where one can GLOBALLY set the default font to ARIAL. If
anyone else has any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

binar wrote:
Fellow Forum Members,

I'm importing CGM graphic files into Word for a technical manual I'm
working on. First problem I'm having is that the Thumbnail view in
Word does not show a thumbnail view of the grahic in the Import
Picture Dialog Window. Is there anyway to add CGM graphic format
thumbnail view capability in Word?

Second, I'm editing my CGM illustrations files using Corel Draw and
then export them as CGM. The text in the Corel illustration is
ARIAL. But when I import the CGM illustration into Word for some
reason I don't understand WORD is changing the all the ARIAL fonts
into Times New Roman. Is there anyway to tell WORD that all imported
graphics need to be imported as ARIAL?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

OK. My guess on the font issue is that the converter uses the normal style
to format the text. Word on installation uses Times New Roman as default
font. Try changing the font in the normal paragraph style for Arial. I could
be wrong, but I doubt that the converter has a separate means of setting the
font used. However I have cross posted this thread to the graphics forum
where someone else may have some insights.

binar wrote:
Fellow Forum Members,

I'm importing CGM graphic files into Word for a technical manual I'm
working on. First problem I'm having is that the Thumbnail view in
Word does not show a thumbnail view of the grahic in the Import
Picture Dialog Window. Is there anyway to add CGM graphic format
thumbnail view capability in Word?

Second, I'm editing my CGM illustrations files using Corel Draw and
then export them as CGM. The text in the Corel illustration is
ARIAL. But when I import the CGM illustration into Word for some
reason I don't understand WORD is changing the all the ARIAL fonts
into Times New Roman. Is there anyway to tell WORD that all
imported graphics need to be imported as ARIAL?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics
Mary Sauer Mary Sauer is offline

Can you change the text to curves in Corel? (Arrange, Convert to curves).

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

binar wrote:
Fellow Forum Members,

I'm importing CGM graphic files into Word for a technical manual I'm
working on. First problem I'm having is that the Thumbnail view in
Word does not show a thumbnail view of the grahic in the Import
Picture Dialog Window. Is there anyway to add CGM graphic format
thumbnail view capability in Word?

Second, I'm editing my CGM illustrations files using Corel Draw and
then export them as CGM. The text in the Corel illustration is
ARIAL. But when I import the CGM illustration into Word for some
reason I don't understand WORD is changing the all the ARIAL fonts
into Times New Roman. Is there anyway to tell WORD that all
imported graphics need to be imported as ARIAL?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics
binar binar is offline

Thanks to all for their posts. I figured out how to fix the problem. The
Engineer exports out of PRO Engineer a CGM which I then import into
CorelDRaw. CorelDraw displays all the FONTS as plain Arial, but for some
reason it applies BOLD and this is what was causing the problem. For some
reason WORD does not like CGM graphics with FONTS that have bold applied. It
doesn't know how to handle such a file therefore it converts all the text to
Times New Roman. The solution is to remove the BOLD from all the text in the
CGM graphic from within CorelDraw and then export it as a CGM for import into
WORD. Doing this keeps the CGM graphic loyal to its original source which is
the ProEngineer file. The end result is that my cockpit instrumentation
graphics appear with the correct FONT and this is was my only concern.