Maročka krtica

Default MS-Word 2003: Cannot save customized toolbar

Terry,
I checked the "Prompt to save Normal.dot" in the Options, but it didn't
prompt me to save anything when exiting Word.
I don't use Outlook at all. I checked all fixed drives for "Normal.dot" and
there was only one occurence in "Documents and Settings\Username\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates". I checked its timestamp - it was on the day I
installed MS Office 2003 (24.01.2005).
The only file attribute set is only "A" (for Archive).
Have you got any other suggestions? I distinctly remember that I had no
problems whatsoever during the Office setup.
Thanks,

Maroska Krtica
"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message

Maroska

It certainly should save them to normal.dot and prompt you first (the

setting for the Prompt is under Tools, Options, Save Tab and should be

checked). If you may another change that requires to saved to normal.dot -

try Format, Font, change the font and press Default - does that get saved

correctly? (Note that if you have been using Outlook with Word as your
email

editor, you need to close both Outlook and Word before the normal.dot is

saved.)

If normal.dot is still not saving your changes, then I suggest you search

your hard drive for normal.dot and make sure that there is just the one
copy

in your user profile. (See Tools, Options, File Locations, User Templates

for correct location.)

--

Terry Farrell - Word MVP

http://word.mvps.org/

"Maročka krtica" wrote in message

:I put several icons to my "Standard" Word 2003 toolbar (for example I put

: Save As, Properties and Word Count as shortcuts to my toolbar). After I

: close Word and reload it, the new icons are not present - only the usual

: default icons are there.

: I guess this information is saved in Normal.dot, right? If so, I wonder

why

: Word 2003 didn't ask to save changes to Normal.dot when I tried to close

the

: application.

: Please, help me put my custom icons to the toolbar.

:

: Maroska Krtica

:

:

TF

Well be default, Word 2003 does not create a normal.dot until such time as
it needs to save customisations. As yours isn't saving any changes, the
normal.dot that you are seeing must belong to an old installation. Rename
normal.dot as normal.old and test it again.

Terry

"Maročka krtica" wrote in message
: Terry,
: I checked the "Prompt to save Normal.dot" in the Options, but it didn't
: prompt me to save anything when exiting Word.
: I don't use Outlook at all. I checked all fixed drives for "Normal.dot"
and
: there was only one occurence in "Documents and
Settings\Username\Application
: Data\Microsoft\Templates". I checked its timestamp - it was on the day I
: installed MS Office 2003 (24.01.2005).
: The only file attribute set is only "A" (for Archive).
: Have you got any other suggestions? I distinctly remember that I had no
: problems whatsoever during the Office setup.
: Thanks,
:
: Maroska Krtica
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
:
: Maroska
:
:
:
[...]
: --
:
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
:
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
:
:
[...]
: :
:
: : Maroska Krtica
:
: :
:
: :
:
:
:
:
:
:

Maroska Krtica

I renamed the Normal.dot to Normal.old, loaded Word and checked "Prompt to
save Normal template". After I added one icon to my Standard toolbar I
closed Word. There was no question whether to save changes.
After I reloaded Word, there was again the standard "Standard" toolbar
without my newly added icon.

I also tried adding an icon to the "Standard" toolbar in Excel 2003 and it
was no problem. When I reloaded Excel, the new icon was there.
What else can we try?

[...]

Someone else in one of these NGs experienced a similar problem recently, and
I believe the upshot of it was that an add-in was setting the Saved property
of Normal.dot to True (which would cause Word not to prompt you to save it
and consequently not save it). Look in Tools | Templates and Add-ins (as a
start) to see what add-ins are listed. You can also use the Save All command
on saving a file based on Normal.dot to force Word to save Normal.dot along
with it. Alternatively, have you tried opening Normal.dot directly, adding
toolbar buttons, and then explicitly saving it?

"Maroska Krtica" wrote in message
[...]

garfield-n-odie

Is Adobe Acrobat 7.0 installed on the computer? If so, there is a
conflict between Acrobat 7.0 and Word 2003 that prevents Word 2003 from
automatically saving changes to the normal.dot template. Add the
toolbar button again, and press "Shift+File | Save All" to force Word
2003 to save the normal.dot template.

Maroska Krtica wrote:

[...]

TF

Note another Adobe add-in bug!!!!!

Terry

: Maroska Krtica wrote:
:
[...]
: : ...
:
:
: :
:
:
: : Maroska
:
:
: :
:
:
: :
:
:
: :
:
:
[...]
: : --
:
:
: :
:
:
: : Terry Farrell - Word MVP
:
:
: :
:
:
: : http://word.mvps.org/
:
:
: :
:
:
: :
:
:
: :
:
:
[...]
: : :
:
:
: :
:
:
: : : Maroska Krtica
:
:
: :
:
:
: : :
:
:
: :
:
:
: : :
:
:
: :
:
:
: :
:
:
: :
:
:
: :
:
:
: :
:
:
: :
:
:
:
:
:
:

garfield-n-odie

Yeah, there is a post about the problem in the Acrobat forum at
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/[email protected]
(click on "Log in as guest" to read the post).

: Maroska Krtica wrote:
:
[...]

TF

Thank you for the link. That explains a few problems.

: TF wrote:
:
: Note another Adobe add-in bug!!!!!
:
: Terry
:
:
: "garfield-n-odie" wrote in
message
: ...
: : Is Adobe Acrobat 7.0 installed on the computer? If so, there is a
: : conflict between Acrobat 7.0 and Word 2003 that prevents Word 2003
from
: : automatically saving changes to the normal.dot template. Add the
: : toolbar button again, and press "Shift+File | Save All" to force Word
: : 2003 to save the normal.dot template.
: :
: : Maroska Krtica wrote:
: :
[...]
: : : ...
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
: : : Maroska
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
[...]
: : : --
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
: : : Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
: : : http://word.mvps.org/
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
[...]
: : : :
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
: : : : Maroska Krtica
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
: : : :
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
: : : :
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
: : :
: :
: :
: :
: :
: :
: :
:
:
:

Maroska Krtica

Great! You've found it! I DO have Acrobat 7.0 installed
Thanks everyone for helping me!
I'd never have thought that an innocent plug-in such as that would cause
this much problems.
I wish you all a nice day!

: TF wrote:

:

: Note another Adobe add-in bug!!!!!

:

: Terry

:

:

: "garfield-n-odie" wrote in

message

: ...

: : Is Adobe Acrobat 7.0 installed on the computer? If so, there is a

: : conflict between Acrobat 7.0 and Word 2003 that prevents Word 2003

from

: : automatically saving changes to the normal.dot template. Add the

: : toolbar button again, and press "Shift+File | Save All" to force
Word

: : 2003 to save the normal.dot template.

: :

: : Maroska Krtica wrote:

: :

[...]

JASON