Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gitte Gitte is offline

Default Repeating form fields in page header

Hi
I use Word 2003 sp2.
I have a template with a lot of text form fields in the body area. These
fields are filled out with data from another program when opening the
template.
If the document is continued on more than one page, I would like to have
some of the form fields to be repeated on the top of page 2, 3 etc.
I have tryed to insert a REF field in the heading of the template, but that
didn't work. Is it possible to repeat a formfield on another page fx. in the
pageheader? If yes - how?
Thanks in advance
Gitte
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

What does "that didn't work" mean? What does the field code of the REF field
contain? Does it refer to the "bookmark name" of a valid text form field?
Did you update the fields in the headers (either select them and press F9,
or check "Update fields" in Tools Options Print and then go to Print
Preview and back)?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Gitte wrote:
Hi
I use Word 2003 sp2.
I have a template with a lot of text form fields in the body area.
These fields are filled out with data from another program when
opening the template.
If the document is continued on more than one page, I would like to
have some of the form fields to be repeated on the top of page 2, 3
etc.
I have tryed to insert a REF field in the heading of the template,
but that didn't work. Is it possible to repeat a formfield on another
page fx. in the pageheader? If yes - how?
Thanks in advance
Gitte

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If the fields are all in the same paragraph, you could apply a unique
style and then use a STYLEREF field in the header.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Gitte" wrote in message
Hi
I use Word 2003 sp2.
I have a template with a lot of text form fields in the body area.

These
fields are filled out with data from another program when opening

the
template.
If the document is continued on more than one page, I would like to

have
some of the form fields to be repeated on the top of page 2, 3 etc.
I have tryed to insert a REF field in the heading of the template,

but that
didn't work. Is it possible to repeat a formfield on another page

fx. in the
pageheader? If yes - how?
Thanks in advance
Gitte

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

REF fields in the header of a protected form will not update automatically,
so they don't appear to work. Although it's possible to use a macro to
explicitly update them, it's generally more satisfactory to use a StyleRef
field, which does update automatically. This is usually implemented by
defining a particular character style for each form field to be referenced.
Apply the character style (which can be Default Paragraph Font + nothing,
that is, no actual change in font formatting) to the form field and
reference it in the header. You'll need a unique character style for each
form field to be referenced, and you need to be careful to ensure that this
style is not applied anywhere else in the document. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm for more.

"Gitte" wrote in message
Hi
I use Word 2003 sp2.
I have a template with a lot of text form fields in the body area. These
fields are filled out with data from another program when opening the
template.
If the document is continued on more than one page, I would like to have
some of the form fields to be repeated on the top of page 2, 3 etc.
I have tryed to insert a REF field in the heading of the template, but

that
didn't work. Is it possible to repeat a formfield on another page fx. in

the
pageheader? If yes - how?
Thanks in advance
Gitte

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gitte Gitte is offline

Default SOLUTION - Repeating form fields in page header

I solved the problem by adding a Styleref to the page header (just as
described in the document Suzanne linked to)
Thank you all for your help :-)
Best regards - Gitte