DSG

Default Change XE text to blue while indexing a document

Windows 2000 Pro XP2
Office 2000 Pro SP3
What can I do to provide blue text for the XE markups in the document when
creating an index?

DSG

Windows XP Pro SP2 Office 2000 Pro SP3
.................................................. ....................
While I am indexing: I can't find where I can change the XE text blue, but
I did find Tools Options View Field Codes "shading always" or "when
selected"

But I don't see it happening either way.

Nor allowing hidden text to show (and a color applied to hidden text)

If we just can't do this, could someone tell me?
Darlene

Daiya Mitchell

Why are you trying to do this? What's the point? To easily see what you've
indexed?

These are field codes--they aren't really text so I don't think you can
apply text formatting to them. It's not like you can change a style
definition for them. I got a field code to show up green, but only by
turning the field result green.

So, this *might* work, but you will have to undo it at the end, or you will
have a blue index.

TEST ON A COPY--test both doing it and un-doing it--before you change your
document. I have not tested this. This is an untested EXPERIMENT and may be
bad advice.

View Field Codes and Hidden Text so that the fields are visible.
Edit | Replace.
In Find, enter ^19 XE (this will find all index fields)
Leave the Replace box blank but with the cursor in it, click on More, then
Format and Format the Replace box with Font: Blue. This should turn all the
index entries blue, and then the field codes should also be blue. You may
need to Toggle Field Codes a couple of times for it to show up.

YOU WILL HAVE TO UNDO THIS or you will have a blue index SO TEST ON A COPY
to make sure it works and you can undo it by, presumably, running a Find and
Replace that formats the index entries back to black in the same way.

Hope that helps,
DM

On 11/8/05 10:41 AM, "DSG" wrote:

Windows XP Pro SP2 Office 2000 Pro SP3
.................................................. ...................

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

DSG

I finally found out what works: and it does not affect the index text color.
I'm settling for just coloring the XE (two letters - not the whole entry). I
knew it had to be possible:

With the SHOW button on (to show the XE entries in the main document)
Edit Find what: XE
Font color: auto

Replace with XE Format Font Times New Roman, Regular, 12, Font Color:
RED OK Replace All
-----------------------------
For newbies:
If you are working with Arial font (or other) besides Times New Roman, take
that into consideration.
Thanks Daiya, for at least another alternate to try. Yes, it is not to see
what I've indexed, though that is helpful, but I use a second window which
shows the actual index entries since this is a long document and with two
windows open, the main text is smaller than I like to work with. My screen
is a good size, but my vision needs just a little help

.. .

On 11/8/05 10:41 AM, "DSG" wrote:

Windows XP Pro SP2 Office 2000 Pro SP3
.................................................. ...................

While I am indexing: I can't find where I can change the XE text blue,
but
I did find Tools Options View Field Codes "shading always" or
"when
selected"

But I don't see it happening either way.

Nor allowing hidden text to show (and a color applied to hidden text)

If we just can't do this, could someone tell me?
Darlene

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Daiya Mitchell

Thanks for a new trick. Interestingly, though I had tested selecting and
applying color, I must have been doing something wrong, because it didn't
work then. But it works now.

Why not change the Zoom when using two windows?

Re your F&R--I suspect you don't have to bother to specify all those options
in the Find, and you should be able to specify only the color in the
Replace. If you don't mention a particular format when doing an F&R like
this, then Word just ignores it.

On 11/8/05 10:41 AM, "DSG" wrote:

Windows XP Pro SP2 Office 2000 Pro SP3
.................................................. ...................

While I am indexing: I can't find where I can change the XE text blue,
but
I did find Tools Options View Field Codes "shading always" or
"when
selected"

But I don't see it happening either way.

Nor allowing hidden text to show (and a color applied to hidden text)

If we just can't do this, could someone tell me?
Darlene

DSG

Your comments are interesting Daiya. The reason I used the Rube Goldberg
routine on the Find & Replace is because the first time I tried it (the
simple way) it wouldn't work. Must be a "Word" thing, or we both would not
have experienced that.

I do use the zoom on the main text document at 120%. With the red XE's I can
quickly locate a place to correct an error. The red XE's make the reviewing
and the corrections going really fast - and with the constant updating of
the skinny panel of the index in the other window, I can do all three levels
on the first run through. I have a five page-double column index at 10 pt.
and it is beautiful. Have never done this before. This is a research
document, so there is lots of cross referencing also.
Darlene

On 11/8/05 12:10 PM, "DSG" wrote:

I finally found out what works: and it does not affect the index text
color.
I'm settling for just coloring the XE (two letters - not the whole
entry). I
knew it had to be possible:

With the SHOW button on (to show the XE entries in the main document)
Edit Find what: XE
12,