Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melissa Melissa is offline

Default How do I turn off automatic word count?

The word count is automatically being calculated each time the cursor is
moved. How can I turn this feature off?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What version of Word? If this is Word 2007, right-click the Status Bar and
remove the check next to Word Count.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Melissa" wrote in message
The word count is automatically being calculated each time the cursor is
moved. How can I turn this feature off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tara[_2_] Tara[_2_] is offline

Please respond in the newsgroups so everyone can follow along."Melissa" wrote in message

Thewordcountis automatically being calculated each time the cursor is
moved. How can I turn this feature off?- Hide quoted text -

Hi Herb,

I found this post regarding automatic word count and I'm hoping you
can help. We are running Office 2003 Pro, SP2. Every couple of
seconds Word does an automatic word count which shows in the status
bar. This causes major slowdowns when typing in a document and also
when trying to save anything. It is driving folks crazy.

For what it's worth, this did not start happening until we upgraded
our workstations several months ago. That is the only thing that has
changed (same version of Office both on old and new machines).

I'm having a hard time finding any information about this at all. Is
there a way to disable this strange behavior?

Thanks so much!

Tara

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is not and never has been a built-in feature of Word 2003. Even if you
display the Word Count toolbar, you have to click on it to manually update
the count. You must have some add-in installed that is providing this
automatic functionality.

ups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tara[_2_] Tara[_2_] is offline

Thanks for the reply, Suzanne. I will try to determine if there is an
add-in causing the issue.

Tara

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
This is not and never has been a built-in feature of Word 2003. Even if you
display the Word Count toolbar, you have to click on it to manually update
the count. You must have some add-in installed that is providing this
automatic functionality.

ups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tara[_2_] Tara[_2_] is offline

On Apr 18, 3:43 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
This is not and never has been a built-in feature ofWord2003. Even if you
display theWordCounttoolbar, you have to click on it to manually update
thecount. You must have some add-in installed that is providing thisautomaticfunctionality.

Fairhope, Alabama USAWordMVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

ups.com...

wrote in message

Thewordcountis automatically being calculated each time the cursor is
moved. How can I turn this feature off?- Hide quoted text -

Hi Herb,

I found this post regardingautomaticwordcountand I'm hoping you
can help. We are running Office 2003 Pro, SP2. Every couple of
secondsWorddoes anautomaticwordcountwhich shows in the status
bar. This causes major slowdowns when typing in a document and also
when trying to save anything. It is driving folks crazy.

For what it's worth, this did not start happening until we upgraded
our workstations several months ago. That is the only thing that has
changed (same version of Office both on old and new machines).

I'm having a hard time finding any information about this at all. Is
there a way to disable this strange behavior?

Thanks so much!

Tara- Hide quoted text -

Hi again, Suzanne,

I am at a loss. I have started Word in safe mode, but the word count
continues even with add-in's disabled in safe mode. In the status bar
at the bottom of the screen, it flashes "word is calculating the word
count" every few seconds.

Any ideas at all what else I can check? I have also unchecked
everything in templates and add-in's and it still occurs.

??????

Thanks,
Tara

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Very, very bizarre. You started Word in Safe Mode by pressing Ctrl while
Word was started and then answering yes when asked if you wanted to start in
Safe Mode? And you still saw this while working in Safe Mode?

"Tara" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 18, 3:43 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
This is not and never has been a built-in feature ofWord2003. Even if

you
display theWordCounttoolbar, you have to click on it to manually update
thecount. You must have some add-in installed that is providing

thisautomaticfunctionality.

Fairhope, Alabama USAWordMVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

ups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tara Tara is offline

Yes on all counts. It is very frustrating. I have even uninstalled and
reinstalled Office. I have no idea what to try next.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Tara

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Very, very bizarre. You started Word in Safe Mode by pressing Ctrl while
Word was started and then answering yes when asked if you wanted to start in
Safe Mode? And you still saw this while working in Safe Mode?

"Tara" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 18, 3:43 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
This is not and never has been a built-in feature ofWord2003. Even if

you
display theWordCounttoolbar, you have to click on it to manually update
thecount. You must have some add-in installed that is providing

thisautomaticfunctionality.

Fairhope, Alabama USAWordMVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

ups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm out of ideas, too, I'm afraid.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Very, very bizarre. You started Word in Safe Mode by pressing Ctrl while
Word was started and then answering yes when asked if you wanted to

start in
Safe Mode? And you still saw this while working in Safe Mode?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Tara" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 18, 3:43 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
This is not and never has been a built-in feature ofWord2003. Even

if
you
display theWordCounttoolbar, you have to click on it to manually

update
thecount. You must have some add-in installed that is providing

thisautomaticfunctionality.

Fairhope, Alabama USAWordMVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

ups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Occasionally I've found different behaviors starting Word with the /a switch
and using Word's Safe Mode. (Even though Safe Mode is supposed to do the
same things as the /a switch plus more.)

See if the behavior still occurs when you start Word using the /a switch. Go
to Start/Run and type:

winword /a

Note the space before the forward slash.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Very, very bizarre. You started Word in Safe Mode by pressing Ctrl while
Word was started and then answering yes when asked if you wanted to start
in
Safe Mode? And you still saw this while working in Safe Mode?

so
all may benefit.

"Tara" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 18, 3:43 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
This is not and never has been a built-in feature ofWord2003. Even if

you
display theWordCounttoolbar, you have to click on it to manually
update
thecount. You must have some add-in installed that is providing

thisautomaticfunctionality.

Fairhope, Alabama USAWordMVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

ups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tara Tara is offline

Thanks, Beth. I will give that a shot.

Tara

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Very, very bizarre. You started Word in Safe Mode by pressing Ctrl while
Word was started and then answering yes when asked if you wanted to start
in
Safe Mode? And you still saw this while working in Safe Mode?

so
all may benefit.

"Tara" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 18, 3:43 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
This is not and never has been a built-in feature ofWord2003. Even if
you
display theWordCounttoolbar, you have to click on it to manually
update
thecount. You must have some add-in installed that is providing
thisautomaticfunctionality.

Fairhope, Alabama USAWordMVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

ups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jason Insearching1977 Jason Insearching1977 is offline

Tara must have given up. I have had this problem in the last three days, and
I think I've probably wasted productivity hours of about 6 hours.

I have tried opening the document with winword /a, but it still behaves like
this. Come on Microsoft, it is obviously an issue that needs a patch!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Very, very bizarre. You started Word in Safe Mode by pressing Ctrl while
Word was started and then answering yes when asked if you wanted to start
in
Safe Mode? And you still saw this while working in Safe Mode?

so
all may benefit.

"Tara" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 18, 3:43 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
This is not and never has been a built-in feature ofWord2003. Even if
you
display theWordCounttoolbar, you have to click on it to manually
update
thecount. You must have some add-in installed that is providing
thisautomaticfunctionality.

Fairhope, Alabama USAWordMVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

ups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

What version of Word do you use 2007 Herb gave you answer if you don't want
to look at word counts.

2003 - it doesn't have this feature.

Perhaps you have a timed MACRO that runs? Are you a network or a standalone
operation?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Very, very bizarre. You started Word in Safe Mode by pressing Ctrl
while
Word was started and then answering yes when asked if you wanted to
start
in
Safe Mode? And you still saw this while working in Safe Mode?

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

ups.com...
wrote:
This is not and never has been a built-in feature ofWord2003.
Even if
you
display theWordCounttoolbar, you have to click on it to manually
update
thecount. You must have some add-in installed that is providing
thisautomaticfunctionality.

Fairhope, Alabama USAWordMVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

ups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jason Insearching1977 Jason Insearching1977 is offline

I have Winword 2003, and I have already:
* checked for add ons
* dont know about macros (but I have confirmation pop-ups when there are
macros in documents. And I didn't for this document).

My computer is a work laptop which connects to our network. My document is
large (just under 25,000 words) and over 110 pages.

Anyhow, whilst I'm not a MSVP, it seems Word (2003) is behaving nicely when
I went to the Toolbar and put the display up on top of the status bar.

I hope that other reader's Word behave nicely after doing this also, so that
that you can keep doing whatever important work you have to do without the
constant insanity-producing interruptions of "word is calculating your word
count" messages.

Jason.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Very, very bizarre. You started Word in Safe Mode by pressing Ctrl
while
Word was started and then answering yes when asked if you wanted to
start
in
Safe Mode? And you still saw this while working in Safe Mode?

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

ups.com...
wrote:
This is not and never has been a built-in feature ofWord2003.
Even if
you
display theWordCounttoolbar, you have to click on it to manually
update
thecount. You must have some add-in installed that is providing
thisautomaticfunctionality.

Fairhope, Alabama USAWordMVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

ups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To reiterate one more time: There is *no* feature in Word 2003 that will
give an automatic word count or a "Word is calculating your word count"
message. If you are getting such a message then there *must* be some sort of
macro or add-in running.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Very, very bizarre. You started Word in Safe Mode by pressing

Ctrl
while
Word was started and then answering yes when asked if you wanted

start
in
Safe Mode? And you still saw this while working in Safe Mode?

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

ups.com...
wrote:
This is not and never has been a built-in feature

ofWord2003.
Even if
you
display theWordCounttoolbar, you have to click on it to

manually
update
thecount. You must have some add-in installed that is

providing
thisautomaticfunctionality.

Fairhope, Alabama USAWordMVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Tara" wrote in message