frogmouth

Default Auto Correction and Global Templates

I sucessfully managed to set up a paragraph numbering system using the SEQ
function. It works via the Auto Correct function - I type in a combination of
keystrokes and it inserts the next number in a sequence. Different keystrokes
give me different number sequences. Terrific, so far, just what I wanted. (
I first saw this function described by Jean Hollis Weber (MVP?) so I don't
take any credit for this very stable numbering system).

I added this function to Normal.dot and it worked in any document that I
opened, which is what I expected.
Then I thought it would be better to put this function into a separate
global template so I could apply it only to those documents that I wanted. So
far, so good.
Except, that when I apply the global template as an add-in (as you would)
the auto-corrections are not added.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Does Normal.dot behave differently
to other global templates? Do global templates pass on auto-correction
functionality?

Hope someone can help.
Daiya Mitchell

AutoCorrect isn't saved in Normal.dot, but in an .acl file that is not only
application-wide, but Office-wide--several other programs use it as well.

AutoText is saved in templates and can be limited as you suggest.

*However*, neither of those are retroactive, but must be triggered as you
type, so applying a template after you have typed the doc will do nothing.

In addition, you can't apply a template as an add-in to only certain
documents. Add-ins are global templates that are available to the entire
application when loaded.

You can *attach* a template to a particular doc, but that's not an add-in.
And attaching a template will never change aspects of text, layout, etc, but
really only style definitions.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

frogmouth

(Daiya) Having had time to digest your comments, it all makes a lot more
sense.

Many thanks for taking the time to answer.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

Glad to help.

Here are some additional references, if you like--more detail on how these
features work, and where the .acl file I mentioned is kept--good idea to
back it up.

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/AutoCorrect.htm

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm

To save and exchange AutoCorrect across computers or re-installations:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...utocorrect.htm

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

Oops. I gave you one piece of wrong information. AutoCorrects for SEQ field
are formatted text, and formatted text AutoCorrects are saved in Normal.dot.

But it still won't be retroactive.

Also, what did you do to save the SEQ autocorrect in a global template? I
didn't think that was possible.

(