Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Decks05 Decks05 is offline

Default Automatically change footer?

I did a search, but there were so many footer questions...
Is it possible, when creating a template, to have the footer change
automatically from one footer (a signature box) when my template is one page
to another footer (page 1 of x) when it runs 2 pages? My template is a bid
proposal and most of them are one page long. But if it has to be two pages,
can word automatically change the footer? Thanks for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Yes. You can use a field of this type:

{ IF { NUMPAGES } 1 "Footer you want on a 2+-page document" "Footer you
want on a one-page document" }

If you don't know how to insert these fields, post back.

"Decks05" wrote in message
I did a search, but there were so many footer questions...
Is it possible, when creating a template, to have the footer change
automatically from one footer (a signature box) when my template is one

page
to another footer (page 1 of x) when it runs 2 pages? My template is a

bid
proposal and most of them are one page long. But if it has to be two

pages,
can word automatically change the footer? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Decks05 Decks05 is offline

No I don't know how to insert those fields. Can you tell me how?
Thanks for the help!

"Decks05" wrote in message
I did a search, but there were so many footer questions...
Is it possible, when creating a template, to have the footer change
automatically from one footer (a signature box) when my template is one

page
to another footer (page 1 of x) when it runs 2 pages? My template is a

bid
proposal and most of them are one page long. But if it has to be two

pages,
can word automatically change the footer? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

With the selection in the desired place in the footer, hold down the Ctrl
key and press F9. That will insert a pair of field delimiters into the
Footer

{ }

between them, type IF

{ IF }

With the selection between the F and the closing }, do a Ctrl+F9 again

{ IF { }}

Inside the inner pair of delimiters, type NUMPAGES

{ IF { NUMPAGES } }

Now, type
1 "Footer you want on a 2+-page document" "Footer you want on a one-page

document"

between the two closing } }, making sure that you have a space either site
of the

Press Alt+F9 to toggle off the display of field codes.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Yes. You can use a field of this type:

{ IF { NUMPAGES } 1 "Footer you want on a 2+-page document" "Footer you
want on a one-page document" }

If you don't know how to insert these fields, post back.

so
all may benefit.

"Decks05" wrote in message
I did a search, but there were so many footer questions...
Is it possible, when creating a template, to have the footer change
automatically from one footer (a signature box) when my template is one

page
to another footer (page 1 of x) when it runs 2 pages? My template is a

bid
proposal and most of them are one page long. But if it has to be two

pages,
can word automatically change the footer? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Decks05 Decks05 is offline

Sort of have it working...I didn't type in the "", but the footer for a two
page document is showing up for a one page document.

"Decks05" wrote in message
I did a search, but there were so many footer questions...
Is it possible, when creating a template, to have the footer change
automatically from one footer (a signature box) when my template is one
page
to another footer (page 1 of x) when it runs 2 pages? My template is a
bid
proposal and most of them are one page long. But if it has to be two
pages,
can word automatically change the footer? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Decks05 Decks05 is offline

I got it to work, but it's still not what I am looking for. I need the last
footer to remain the same whether it's one page, two or three. If my
document turns into two or three pages, I need the footer to change to "page
1 of x" or "page 2 of x" and so on. Is this possible?

"Decks05" wrote in message
I did a search, but there were so many footer questions...
Is it possible, when creating a template, to have the footer change
automatically from one footer (a signature box) when my template is one
page
to another footer (page 1 of x) when it runs 2 pages? My template is a
bid
proposal and most of them are one page long. But if it has to be two
pages,
can word automatically change the footer? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Sometimes you have to update the field manually (F9) to see the correct
results.

Are you saying you want a different footer on page 1 from the other pages?
If so, you can enable "Different first page." See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm for more on that. Also
note that the TrueText can include *everything* you want to appear in the
footer of a multipage document, and the FalseText can include what you want
for a single-page document. That is, it doesn't have to be just the part
that changes.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Yes. You can use a field of this type:

{ IF { NUMPAGES } 1 "Footer you want on a 2+-page document" "Footer

you
want on a one-page document" }

If you don't know how to insert these fields, post back.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.