Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
hans hans is offline

Default Automatic template update isn't updating docs

I have a doc pointed to a template. The doc is set to automatically update
document styles; however, they are not updating. I have tried
opening/closing/print previewing/removing and re-adding the template/etc. but
no love.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Hans
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that the styles of the template must be applied to text in the
document; otherwise the automatically update won't work.

Also, the text formatting may not update to match that of the template if
direct formatting has been applied. To clear direct formatting from the
selection: press Ctrl+SpaceBar (clears direct font formatting), and press
Ctrl+Q (clears direct paragraph formatting).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Hans" wrote in message
I have a doc pointed to a template. The doc is set to automatically update
document styles; however, they are not updating. I have tried
opening/closing/print previewing/removing and re-adding the template/etc.
but
no love.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Hans

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
hans hans is offline

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your response. I figured it out last night: It looks like I
was making changes to the styles in the template without ticking the
Automatically Update box. I seem to recall in the past that making style
changes in a template were automatic given that it's a template, not a doc,
but, apparently, that is not the case.

:-)

Cheers,

-Hans

"Hans" wrote in message
I have a doc pointed to a template. The doc is set to automatically update
document styles; however, they are not updating. I have tried
opening/closing/print previewing/removing and re-adding the template/etc.
but
no love.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Hans

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you make sure to *open* the template as a document, via the Open dialog
box, you can edit its styles directly, that is correct.

Note, however, that "Automatically update" in the style definition is
different from "Automatically update document styles" in the Templates and
Add-Ins dialog box. The former option forces Word to incorporate direct
formatting into the style (it is enabled, by default, for the TOC styles,
among others); the latter option restores all style definitions from the
attached template when a document is opened.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news