yongkalep

Default What are bar tabs used for?

I understand how to set tabs etc. But I'm not really clear on the WHY
concerning Bar Tabs. What are they for? Please provide some common examples
of Bar Tab usage.

THANKS!
Greg Maxey

Yongkalep,

The following is a qoute from a sage in the newsgroups:

"They keep you from having to pay for each drink as it is delivered. g
Seriously, I believe they are a holdover from an earlier time when they
could be used in conjunction with underlines to create tables. They are
almost totally undocumented, and their uses are highly individualized. I
actually do use them to create a table effect in a couple of specific
applications."

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

yongkalep wrote:
I understand how to set tabs etc. But I'm not really clear on the WHY
concerning Bar Tabs. What are they for? Please provide some common
examples of Bar Tab usage.

THANKS!

To cite one specific individualized application, I use them in the monthly
attendance rolls of my Rotary club. Since these are printed out and filled
in by hand, it doesn't matter that the lines created by the bar tabs don't
create actual table cells, and the advantage is that it is easy to add and
remove member names, since each name is a paragraph formatted with a style
including a bottom border and the tabs. The listings are in three
newspaper-style columns and reflow freely as names are added and removed.

yongkalep wrote:
I understand how to set tabs etc. But I'm not really clear on the WHY
concerning Bar Tabs. What are they for? Please provide some common
examples of Bar Tab usage.

THANKS!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bernadette Bernadette is offline

This is exactly what I am looking for!!! Both the bar that will give me a
tab (margartis here I come), but mostly how to set 'bar tabs' for MS Word
2003. Tables are fine, but sometimes just setting the tabs would be easier
for what I need. So, on that note, how do I set a "bar tab?"

--
Bernadette

yongkalep wrote:
I understand how to set tabs etc. But I'm not really clear on the WHY
concerning Bar Tabs. What are they for? Please provide some common
examples of Bar Tab usage.

THANKS!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can set bar tabs directly from the ruler in Word 2003; just keep
clicking on the button that changes the tab type till you get to one that
looks like |.

http://word.mvps.org

Tabs in table HT New Users 1 May 8th 05 07:51 PM
Problems with setting tabs accurately (metric) Eric G Page Layout 3 March 5th 05 04:29 PM
remove tabs from Word template dialog? Lori H Microsoft Word Help 5 January 12th 05 03:45 PM
How do I correct existing margins & tabs in word project POdom Microsoft Word Help 1 December 27th 04 05:58 PM
remove default File, New template tabs Ricki Miles Microsoft Word Help 3 December 15th 04 09:49 PM