Make 2003 cool its jets after a crash

Old February 27th 05, 10:11 PM
Mark Tangard

Default Make 2003 cool its jets after a crash

Is there any way to stop Word 2003 from making such a grand purple fuss after it
crashes? In prior versions I could delete the temp-file debris, relaunch, and
be back to work in under 30 seconds. Now I must [1] listen to its plaintive
whimper about sending an error report, AND [2] endure the pointless (for me)
task pane that insists on me confirming that I want to reopen the recovered
files. It's like an old lady smothering a kid who's scraped his knee, refusing
to let him return to the playground right away.

Both of these processes happen quite slowly on my (new and very fast) machine.
I can't think of an instance when I *wouldn't* want to reopen what I was working
on and get back to business, but I'd rather do it without grandma serving it to
me on a doily. Is there a switch or registry hack somewhere that'll cut that
stuff out, or at least speed it up?

TIA

------------
Mark Tangard
"Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters

Old February 28th 05, 08:39 AM
Graham Mayor

From Windows Help -
To disable error reporting

1.. Open System in Control Panel.
2.. On the Advanced tab, click Error Reporting.
3.. Click Disable error reporting.

The autorecovery task pane is something you will have to live with, but at
least now autorecovery does at least work a tad more reliably.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Mark Tangard wrote:
[...]

Attached Images

Old February 28th 05, 02:42 PM
TF

Mark

And from Word, Help, Customer Feedback options, uncheck the appropriate
boxes too.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: ------------

Old March 1st 05, 04:18 PM
Mark Tangard

Thanks, Graham and Terry. Any time savings at all is a huge help for us.

MT

Old March 1st 05, 04:55 PM
Greg

It's like an old lady smothering a kid who's scraped his knee, refusing

to let him return to the playground right away.

Must be a old lady living in the past. The legal savvy would contact
an attorney and file a lawsuit before letting junior back on the
playground :-)