Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gino Gino is offline

Default Different Header for Each Chapter

Hi! Hope someone can provide some direction/guidance. I'm writing a
reference book for a software application, using Word 2003 for Windows, and I
would like the header in each chapter to reflect that chapter's name, while
the page numbering would continue uninterrupted. So, for instance, the
header for Chapter 2 would say "Chapter 2: xxxx xxxxxx xx xxxxxx", and the
page numbering would just continue on from the previous chapter. I would
imagine I need to accomplish this somehow through section breaks, but I can't
figure out how to do that without affecting the page numbering at the same
time.

Thanks in advance!
--
Gino
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You don't need section breaks to achieve this. You need a Styleref field in
the header to repeat the content of the unique style applied to the Chapter
heading (or part of the Chapter heading that you wish to reproduce).

Gino wrote:
Hi! Hope someone can provide some direction/guidance. I'm writing a
reference book for a software application, using Word 2003 for
Windows, and I would like the header in each chapter to reflect that
chapter's name, while the page numbering would continue
uninterrupted. So, for instance, the header for Chapter 2 would say
"Chapter 2: xxxx xxxxxx xx xxxxxx", and the page numbering would just
continue on from the previous chapter. I would imagine I need to
accomplish this somehow through section breaks, but I can't figure
out how to do that without affecting the page numbering at the same
time.

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But if you need section breaks for some other reason, you continue the
page numbering with the "Format Page Number" button on the Headers &
Footers toolbar that appears when your cursor is in a header or
footer.

On Jul 20, 1:44*am, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
You don't need section breaks to achieve this. You need a Styleref field in
the header to repeat the content of the unique style applied to the Chapter
heading (or part of the Chapter heading that you wish to reproduce).

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Gino wrote:
Hi! *Hope someone can provide some direction/guidance. *I'm writing a
reference book for a software application, using Word 2003 for
Windows, and I would like the header in each chapter to reflect that
chapter's name, while the page numbering would continue
uninterrupted. *So, for instance, the header for Chapter 2 would say
"Chapter 2: xxxx xxxxxx xx xxxxxx", and the page numbering would just
continue on from the previous chapter. *I would imagine I need to
accomplish this somehow through section breaks, but I can't figure
out how to do that without affecting the page numbering at the same
time.

Thanks in advance!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gino Gino is offline

Thanks for the feedback. I should have elaborated more. Again, this is a
book I'm writing, and I want the chapter title to appear in the header NEXT
TO THE PAGE NUMBER. On odd numbered pages that would be toward the right,
and on even numbered pages toward the left. Also, ideally the chapter name
would not show in the header of the first page of each chapter, since the
chapter title is already on the page. I suppose this is where I was thinking
I may need to break up each chapter as a separate section(?).

I may need some (paid) consulting via GoToMeeting, if anyone can recommend
someone who would be good at this.
--
Gino

Gino wrote:
Hi! Hope someone can provide some direction/guidance. I'm writing a
reference book for a software application, using Word 2003 for
Windows, and I would like the header in each chapter to reflect that
chapter's name, while the page numbering would continue
uninterrupted. So, for instance, the header for Chapter 2 would say
"Chapter 2: xxxx xxxxxx xx xxxxxx", and the page numbering would just
continue on from the previous chapter. I would imagine I need to
accomplish this somehow through section breaks, but I can't figure
out how to do that without affecting the page numbering at the same
time.

Thanks in advance!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, you can put your STYLEREF field wherever you want in the header.
Apparently you've already chosen Different Odd and Even, since you
have the page numbers in the outer corners; now also choose Different
First Page in the File Page Setup Layout panel. And then you will
indeed need a new Section for each chapter. You should probably make
the First Page Header blank, and put the page number centered in the
First Page Footer.

Note, though, that usually the chapter title appears in the right
running head and the book title in the left running head.

Gino wrote:
Hi! *Hope someone can provide some direction/guidance. *I'm writing a
reference book for a software application, using Word 2003 for
Windows, and I would like the header in each chapter to reflect that
chapter's name, while the page numbering would continue
uninterrupted. *So, for instance, the header for Chapter 2 would say
"Chapter 2: xxxx xxxxxx xx xxxxxx", and the page numbering would just
continue on from the previous chapter. *I would imagine I need to
accomplish this somehow through section breaks, but I can't figure
out how to do that without affecting the page numbering at the same
time.

Thanks in advance!--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what Peter has told you, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm. You'll need to enable both
"Different first page" and "Different odd and even."

If you have inserted page numbers using Insert | Page Numbers and selecting
Outside, delete these page fields (including the frames they're in) and
reinsert the page numbers and other text in the appropriate locations in the
Odd Page Header and Even Page Header.

http://word.mvps.org