Posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

Default OK, I give up, what's a good book?

"Upgrading" to Office 2007 has been one of my worst experiences that
didn't involve any threat to life or limb. Is there a Reader's Digest
category for that?

So, I guess I better do some studying.

Can anyone recommend a good book for users of previous versions of
Office to try and make sense of all the garbage on my screen and and
clues to where the geniuses at M$FT have hidden all of the useful
icons and options that I have been using for years?

I prefer something not from M$FT as I don't like to further reward bad
corporate behavior.

I probably need a general Office book and then a specialized Word and
Outlook book.

This "upgrade" has already cost me 3-4 days of lost productivity and I
am far from done.

--
Using Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert Robert is offline

Have a look at http://www.uwec.edu/help/word07.htm
--
Cheers
Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mary Mary is offline

The trouble with books on Office or windows is that so much needs updating or
correcting. I would suggest you take the tutorials at the office web site
first and see if that helps. If you want a book-- Using Microsoft Office
2007, Special Edition (Paperback) by Ed Bott (Author), Woody Leonard
(Author) should be useful. I like their website and newsletters. I'm sticking
with Office 2003 for now. Maybe you should consider picking up a copy of that
version instead before it's off the market.

"LurfysMa" wrote:

"Upgrading" to Office 2007 has been one of my worst experiences that
didn't involve any threat to life or limb. Is there a Reader's Digest
category for that?

So, I guess I better do some studying.

Can anyone recommend a good book for users of previous versions of
Office to try and make sense of all the garbage on my screen and and
clues to where the geniuses at M$FT have hidden all of the useful
icons and options that I have been using for years?

I prefer something not from M$FT as I don't like to further reward bad
corporate behavior.

I probably need a general Office book and then a specialized Word and
Outlook book.

This "upgrade" has already cost me 3-4 days of lost productivity and I
am far from done.

--
Using Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] is offline

Woody's newsletters are not exempt from the caveat "that so much needs updating or correcting." I haven't seen the new book.

Patricia Cardoza, a former Outlook MVP who now works for Microsoft, wrote Special Edition Using Outlook 2007 for Que. I haven't seen this new version, but her book for Outlook 2003 was very good.

You can also look up your specific questions here. Chances are that someone has already asked them.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"LurfysMa" wrote:

"Upgrading" to Office 2007 has been one of my worst experiences that
didn't involve any threat to life or limb. Is there a Reader's Digest
category for that?

So, I guess I better do some studying.

Can anyone recommend a good book for users of previous versions of
Office to try and make sense of all the garbage on my screen and and
clues to where the geniuses at M$FT have hidden all of the useful
icons and options that I have been using for years?

I prefer something not from M$FT as I don't like to further reward bad
corporate behavior.

I probably need a general Office book and then a specialized Word and
Outlook book.

This "upgrade" has already cost me 3-4 days of lost productivity and I
am far from done.

--
Using Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.newusers
F.H. Muffman F.H. Muffman is offline

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
[...]

The 2007 book is quite good as well. I've used both.

And I'm assuming it's the same author since the last name has changed.

Tho, to the OP, I can sympathise, when I first started with 2k7, I was a
little shocked at how different everything was. I don't think I'm even over
the UI changes in Access yet, but I found the learning curve to be very,
very short. OTOH, considering your use of "M$FT", I don't think any sort of
'Keep at it' type responses would work and I'd suggest maybe looking at Open
Office, especially if you don't want to reward bad corporate behaviour.
Just a thought. =)
--
f.h.

Posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Diane Poremsky [MVP] Diane Poremsky [MVP] is offline

Patricia Cardoza, a former Outlook MVP who now works for Microsoft,
wrote Special Edition Using Outlook 2007 for Que. I haven't seen this
new version, but her book for Outlook 2003 was very good.

You can also look up your specific questions here. Chances are that
someone has already asked them.

The 2007 book is quite good as well. I've used both.

And I'm assuming it's the same author since the last name has changed.

Yes, the same Patricia wrote both the 2003 and 2007 editions. As sue
mentioned, Woody's newsletters get a lot wrong, especially when it involves
Outlook, that I would not put much stock in them.

Posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] is offline

Yes! Pinch me for not remembering that!!! It's Patricia DiGiacomo for the 2007 book.

I'm struggling with the Access UI a bit myself.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"F.H. Muffman" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I recommend Advanced Microsoft Office 2007 Edition Inside Out by Stephanie
Krieger: this is real gem. It is particularly good for someone trying to
support a small business as it it includes an excellent section on how to
set up Word to run in the Office environment to the best effect. I haven't
seen Ed Bott's 2007 book, but MY opinion of his 2003 book would probably get
me into trouble if I repeated it here!

Also, have you downloaded the Get Started Add-on Ribbon tab from Microsoft
Office On Line? This adds access to the indispensible Interactive Command
Guide and many Training Videos. These are good efforts and are free.

It is here

Terry Farrell

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
"Upgrading" to Office 2007 has been one of my worst experiences that
didn't involve any threat to life or limb. Is there a Reader's Digest
category for that?

So, I guess I better do some studying.

Can anyone recommend a good book for users of previous versions of
Office to try and make sense of all the garbage on my screen and and
clues to where the geniuses at M$FT have hidden all of the useful
icons and options that I have been using for years?

I prefer something not from M$FT as I don't like to further reward bad
corporate behavior.

I probably need a general Office book and then a specialized Word and
Outlook book.

This "upgrade" has already cost me 3-4 days of lost productivity and I
am far from done.

--
Using Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook][_2_] Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook][_2_] is offline

I suspect, Terry, that many of us share the same "esteem" for Ed Bott.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Terry Farrell asked:

| I recommend Advanced Microsoft Office 2007 Edition Inside Out by
| Stephanie Krieger: this is real gem. It is particularly good for
| someone trying to support a small business as it it includes an
| excellent section on how to set up Word to run in the Office
| environment to the best effect. I haven't seen Ed Bott's 2007 book,
| but MY opinion of his 2003 book would probably get me into trouble if
| I repeated it here!
|
| Also, have you downloaded the Get Started Add-on Ribbon tab from
| Microsoft Office On Line? This adds access to the indispensible
| Interactive Command Guide and many Training Videos. These are good
| efforts and are free.
|
| It is here
| http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
|
| Terry Farrell
|
| "LurfysMa" wrote in message
|| "Upgrading" to Office 2007 has been one of my worst experiences that
|| didn't involve any threat to life or limb. Is there a Reader's Digest
|| category for that?
|| So, I guess I better do some studying.
|| Can anyone recommend a good book for users of previous versions of
|| Office to try and make sense of all the garbage on my screen and and
|| clues to where the geniuses at M$FT have hidden all of the useful
|| icons and options that I have been using for years?
|| I prefer something not from M$FT as I don't like to further reward
|| bad corporate behavior.
|| I probably need a general Office book and then a specialized Word and
|| Outlook book.
|| This "upgrade" has already cost me 3-4 days of lost productivity and
|| I am far from done.
|| --
|| Using Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000
Posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Milly

Thanks for sharing that: it is good to know that I'm not alone. g

Terry

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
wrote in message
I suspect, Terry, that many of us share the same "esteem" for Ed Bott.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Terry Farrell asked:

| I recommend Advanced Microsoft Office 2007 Edition Inside Out by
| Stephanie Krieger: this is real gem. It is particularly good for
| someone trying to support a small business as it it includes an
| excellent section on how to set up Word to run in the Office
| environment to the best effect. I haven't seen Ed Bott's 2007 book,
| but MY opinion of his 2003 book would probably get me into trouble if
| I repeated it here!
|
| Also, have you downloaded the Get Started Add-on Ribbon tab from
| Microsoft Office On Line? This adds access to the indispensible
| Interactive Command Guide and many Training Videos. These are good
| efforts and are free.
|
| It is here

| Terry Farrell
|
| "LurfysMa" wrote in message
|| "Upgrading" to Office 2007 has been one of my worst experiences that
|| didn't involve any threat to life or limb. Is there a Reader's Digest
|| category for that?
|| So, I guess I better do some studying.
|| Can anyone recommend a good book for users of previous versions of
|| Office to try and make sense of all the garbage on my screen and and
|| clues to where the geniuses at M$FT have hidden all of the useful
|| icons and options that I have been using for years?
|| I prefer something not from M$FT as I don't like to further reward
|| bad corporate behavior.
|| I probably need a general Office book and then a specialized Word and
|| Outlook book.
|| This "upgrade" has already cost me 3-4 days of lost productivity and
|| I am far from done.
|| --
|| Using Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ian[_2_] Ian[_2_] is offline

I'm using the O'Reilly book "Word 2007: The Missing Manual", which was
published in December.

Hope you're well,
Ian
--