Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve[_13_] Steve[_13_] is offline

Default Hyphen character

I copy/pasted an article from the web, and it contains many extraneous
characters that look like hyphens. I tried to eliminate these
characters using find/replace in Word, but apparently Word does not
recognize them (tried the keyboard hyphen and all the characters
listed under Special). How do I determine what these characters are,
so I can delete them? Thanks!

--

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.

....WC Fields
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Did you try copy/paste the symbol into the Find/Replace dialog? (Note you
must use keyboard commands in the F&R dialog).

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Steve" wrote in message
I copy/pasted an article from the web, and it contains many extraneous
characters that look like hyphens. I tried to eliminate these
characters using find/replace in Word, but apparently Word does not
recognize them (tried the keyboard hyphen and all the characters
listed under Special). How do I determine what these characters are,
so I can delete them? Thanks!

--

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on
people.

...WC Fields

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve[_13_] Steve[_13_] is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote:
I copy/pasted an article from the web, and it contains many extraneous
characters that look like hyphens. I tried to eliminate these
characters using find/replace in Word, but apparently Word does not
recognize them (tried the keyboard hyphen and all the characters
listed under Special). How do I determine what these characters are,
so I can delete them?

Did you try copy/paste the symbol into the Find/Replace dialog? (Note you
must use keyboard commands in the F&R dialog).

Well, duh, you'd think that would be the first thing I tried, but I
never thought of it. And it worked, thanks!

It's a small dash that appears in front of lots of words, like this:
*program

Interestingly, it does not appear in the original article - it appears
only after I copy/paste. Must be some sorta hex symbol?