Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LauraK LauraK is offline

Default MS Word 2007 Incredibly Slow Start Up Time

I just bought my new laptop a few months ago and along with it came a trial
version of MS Office 2007. Since the software I most frequently use is MS
Word, I was pretty excited about the whole new interface and upgraded
functions.

The problem I'm experiencing is that when I double-click on the Word 2007
icon on the desktop, it takes a good 3-4 minutes to actually open the
software.

My own two possible explanations for this weird disfunction are

1) because my laptop also came with MS Works WordProcessor (which does not
have all the functions I need and does not allow me to copy and paste ANY
length of the document from the web: almost useless)

OR
2)because I'm using a trial version which expires in about a month.

I haven't been able to boldly delete the MS WORKS program as a whole because
I was afraid that Word 2007 wouldn't work properly EVEN after that and I
would be suddenly without any tool for word processing.

Any suggestions or possible explanation for this problem? I would really
appreciate it. Thanks for taking time to read this.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

I would take a hard look at your Antivirus software. Norton in particular
feels the need to perform antivirus duties on the opening of every document
including the blank one that is created upon opening of Word. This article
may give you some clues:

Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP
"Education Lasts a Lifetime"

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.