Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ElliottM ElliottM is offline

Default Text direction

In one of my documents,the text is written vertically instead of
horizontally. How can I restore the normal orientation ?
--
EMEN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ElliottM ElliottM is offline

Dear Suzanne:
No. The text is the entire document in Microsoft
Word. When I try to send it, each line appears alone as a vertical column of
symbols.
--
EMEN

"ElliottM" wrote in message
In one of my documents,the text is written vertically instead of
horizontally. How can I restore the normal orientation ?
--
EMEN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Are you saying that the document appears normal until you try to print or
send? If so, that's a common printer bug. Or does the text appear in one
column from the outset?

"ElliottM" wrote in message
In one of my documents,the text is written vertically instead of
horizontally. How can I restore the normal orientation ?
--
EMEN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

According to Office MVP Bob Buckland:

It's a bug that is apparently related to an interaction between Word
Add-ins (Redaction is one) and some printer drivers and Word temp files.

You can often undo it by using File=Print and switching to another printer
then back, or close Word and recycle the files you find
using
Start=Search
~$*.*;*.tmp
then restart Word.

"ElliottM" wrote in message
In one of my documents,the text is written vertically instead of
horizontally. How can I restore the normal orientation ?
--
EMEN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ElliottM ElliottM is offline

Dear Suzanne:
Your two suggestions for overcoming the problem did
not work, but I'm not sure that I understood the second one about recycling
the files. How should I proceed with ~$*.*;*.tmp ? Thanks for your
patience!
Elliott Mendelson
--
EMEN

"ElliottM" wrote in message
In one of my documents,the text is written vertically instead of
horizontally. How can I restore the normal orientation ?
--
EMEN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ElliottM ElliottM is offline

Dear Ms. Barnhill:
Quite a few files came up as a result of the *.tmp search.
Is it safe to delete all of them ? I'm sorry to raise such a
question, but I am a complete duffer about such things.
Sincerely yours,
Elliott Mendelson

--
EMEN

"ElliottM" wrote in message
In one of my documents,the text is written vertically instead of
horizontally. How can I restore the normal orientation ?
--
EMEN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The conventional wisdom is that any file that has a .tmp extension is
intended to be a temporary file; only if Windows won't let you delete it
should you have second thoughts. Or, if you are nervous about deleting *all*
of them, you could delete just those that are in the My Documents folder (or
wherever you store Word documents).

"ElliottM" wrote in message
In one of my documents,the text is written vertically instead
of
horizontally. How can I restore the normal orientation ?
--
EMEN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ElliottM ElliottM is offline

Dear Ms. Barnhill:
Perhaps I should make the problem more definite.
It occurs with respect to only one document. The others are fine. (The
document is part of a manuscript for a new edition of a book.) With the bad
document, when I try to print it or when I send it as an e-mail and try to
print it, what appears on each of the resulting pages is a single column of
symbols. These symbols are the symbols that occur in the document, in the
same order as their appearance in the document.
I suspected at first that the problem might stem from incorrect placement of
the margin tab(s), but I can't see anything wrong.
I haven't deleted all the *.tmp occurrences yet. There were no ~$*.*
occurrences.
Thanks for your advice and patience.
Elliott Mendelson
--
EMEN

"ElliottM" wrote in message
In one of my documents,the text is written vertically instead
of
horizontally. How can I restore the normal orientation ?
--
EMEN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ElliottM ElliottM is offline

Dear Ms. Barnhill:
The problem seemed to involve margin settings,
although I don't know why or how. In any case, everything is OK now, and I
want to thank you for your help.
Sincerely yours,
Elliott Mendelson
--