Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NeilL NeilL is offline

Default Word 2007 workgroup templates

I have a macro template (a .dotm file) that installs to the workgroup
template location and have the file locations for workgroup templates set
properly but when I go to create a new document the template is not anyplace
on the list that I can find.

Can someone clue me in on how I get to Workgroup templates when creating a
new document?

Thanks
--
Neil
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, MVP Dawn Crosier, MVP is offline

Once you are in the Templates Dialog box, click on the link for "My
Templates", then you should see another dialog box indicating the templates
in your Workgroup location as well as any templates which are stored in the
Microsoft Default template location: C:\Documents and
Settings\[UserName]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"NeilL" wrote in message
I have a macro template (a .dotm file) that installs to the workgroup
template location and have the file locations for workgroup templates set
properly but when I go to create a new document the template is not
anyplace
on the list that I can find.

Can someone clue me in on how I get to Workgroup templates when creating a
new document?

Thanks
--
Neil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NeilL NeilL is offline

Ok, thanks. I do that now that I look carefully.

My problem was (is) that I had (for testing) a template with the same name
in my template directory C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates and the dialog did not list both. Only the one in my
template directory is displayed and not the one in the workgroup templates
folder.

I'm not sure if this is the way this has always worked (Word 2003 and
earlier) as I never noticed before but would think not being able to show
duplicates could be a problem for some users (as it was for me).

Thanks again for your help.
--
Neil

"NeilL" wrote in message
I have a macro template (a .dotm file) that installs to the workgroup
template location and have the file locations for workgroup templates set
properly but when I go to create a new document the template is not
anyplace
on the list that I can find.

Can someone clue me in on how I get to Workgroup templates when creating a
new document?

Thanks
--
Neil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DPete14 DPete14 is offline

Okay, but how can you by-pass this setting so it will automatically display
the My Templates dialog box? I know there is a setting (because I have used
it before), but I forget where it is.

Thanks, Dan

"NeilL" wrote in message
I have a macro template (a .dotm file) that installs to the workgroup
template location and have the file locations for workgroup templates set
properly but when I go to create a new document the template is not
anyplace
on the list that I can find.

Can someone clue me in on how I get to Workgroup templates when creating a
new document?

Thanks
--
Neil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Dan,

There are a few ways you can do it,

- Install the optional 'New Office Document' shortcut from the Microsoft Office choice in Add/Remove Programs in the windows
control panel.

- There are some registry/policy settings that can allow you to disable/limit when you see the new, Office 2007 New Document dialog
from 'Office Button=New' (not recommended)

- You can use the Office Button=New choice as is and click the
'My templates' link to see the old version dialog. This one's probably the easiest in a default Office 2007 installation

- You can use and XML file and registry change to create custom sections and templates in the new, New Document dialog.

============
"DPete14" wrote in message ...
Okay, but how can you by-pass this setting so it will automatically display
the My Templates dialog box? I know there is a setting (because I have used
it before), but I forget where it is.

Thanks, Dan
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DPete14 DPete14 is offline

I finally figured out my own answer:

Choose the "Customize Quick Access Tool Bar" down arrow
Select "More Commands"
Under the "Choose Commands" option, choose "All Commands"
Go down and select "New Document or Template..."