Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
obillo obillo is offline

Default Suddenly Typing in Red Underline!!!!

Typing in a new Word doc, all of a sudden my typing turns to red
underline--and won't allow me to change back to normal. I know I accidentally
brushed some key or other w/fingers of my right hand (I'm a v. bad 2-finger
typist) just before that happened.
Also--there are red dotted lines in my doc showing what I deleted, notes of
formatting. There's a box marked 'final showing markup' visible up in the
tool bar--I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before. Obviously I've accidentally
activated some feature or other. How do I ghet back to normal? (Normal to me
means just plain letters on the screen in the size and color of my
choice--and nothing else.)
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Suddenly Typing in Red Underline!!!!

It sounds like you accidentally turned on the Track Changes feature in Microsoft Word. This feature is commonly used when collaborating on a document with others, as it allows you to see any changes made to the document and who made them.

To turn off Track Changes and get back to normal, follow these steps:
  1. 1. Look for the Review tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
    2. If the Track Changes button is highlighted in blue, click on it to turn it off.
    3. If there is a drop-down arrow next to the Track Changes button, click on it and select "Track Changes Off" from the menu.
    4. If you see a button labeled "Final Showing Markup" in the ribbon, click on it and select "Final" from the drop-down menu. This will hide any tracked changes or comments in the document.
    5. If you still see red underlines in your text, it may be because you have spelling or grammar errors. To turn off these underlines, go to the File tab, select Options, and then select Proofing. From there, you can uncheck the boxes for "Check spelling as you type" and "Mark grammar errors as you type."

Once you've completed these steps, your document should be back to normal with no red underlines or tracked changes.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You have activated the option to track changes. Turn off that option and
accept all changes.
In Word to 2003 you can do that from the Review toolbar. In Word 2007 its
the review tab on the ribbon.

obillo wrote:
Typing in a new Word doc, all of a sudden my typing turns to red
underline--and won't allow me to change back to normal. I know I
accidentally brushed some key or other w/fingers of my right hand
(I'm a v. bad 2-finger typist) just before that happened.
Also--there are red dotted lines in my doc showing what I deleted,
notes of formatting. There's a box marked 'final showing markup'
visible up in the tool bar--I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before.
Obviously I've accidentally activated some feature or other. How do I
ghet back to normal? (Normal to me means just plain letters on the
screen in the size and color of my choice--and nothing else.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Turn off Track Changes: Ctrl-Shift-E, or double-click "TRK" in the
status bar at the bottom, or click the icon on the Reviewing toolbar
(or the Reviewing tab of the ribbon).

Then find the icon on that same toolbar/ribbon section for Accept
Change -- it's a blue checkmark. In 2003 there's a tiny arrow next to
it; click that and choose Accept All Changes. In 2007 it's a big icon
with an arrow below it -- click that and choose Accept All Changes.

On May 20, 7:49*am, obillo wrote:
Typing in a new Word doc, all of a sudden my typing turns to red
underline--and won't allow me to change back to normal. I know I accidentally
brushed some key or other w/fingers of my right hand (I'm a v. bad 2-finger
typist) just before that happened.
Also--there are red dotted lines in my doc showing what I deleted, notes of
formatting. *There's a box marked 'final showing markup' visible up in the
tool bar--I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before. Obviously I've accidentally
activated some feature or other. How do I ghet back to normal? (Normal to me
means just plain letters on the screen in the size and color of my
choice--and nothing else.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
obillo obillo is offline

obillo wrote:
Typing in a new Word doc, all of a sudden my typing turns to red
underline--and won't allow me to change back to normal. I know I
accidentally brushed some key or other w/fingers of my right hand
(I'm a v. bad 2-finger typist) just before that happened.
Also--there are red dotted lines in my doc showing what I deleted,
notes of formatting. There's a box marked 'final showing markup'
visible up in the tool bar--I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before.
Obviously I've accidentally activated some feature or other. How do I
ghet back to normal? (Normal to me means just plain letters on the
screen in the size and color of my choice--and nothing else.)

Thanks, Graham, but I should have mentioned my dinosaur status. That is, I'm too technologically backward to know what a Review Toolbar is (I have W.2003). I don't see anything so marked on my screen. But, while fearfully strolling around the toolbars I can see, I came to the TOOLS menu, which has Track Changes (CTRL+Shift+E). This seems to be a toggle (turn on/turn off), for a feature that allows keeping track of editing changes in a document. I can't imagine how I accidentally activated it, although I have noticed that accidentally brushing space bar and 1 or more other keys with my draggy-saggy fingers see,s to short-circuit the kbd into doing odd things (includng erasing entire documents). I certainly did NOT enter CTRL+Shift+E! Anyway--problem solved and I sally forth better informed. Thank you for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] tonykiema10@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:11:42 PM UTC+8, grammatim wrote:
Turn off Track Changes: Ctrl-Shift-E, or double-click "TRK" in the
status bar at the bottom, or click the icon on the Reviewing toolbar
(or the Reviewing tab of the ribbon).

wow thanks....Ctrl-Shift-E just did a good job atleast will help me finish my thesis.....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] pereira.peter@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 7:49:01 AM UTC-4, obillo wrote:
Typing in a new Word doc, all of a sudden my typing turns to red
underline--and won't allow me to change back to normal. I know I accidentally
brushed some key or other w/fingers of my right hand (I'm a v. bad 2-finger
typist) just before that happened.
Also--there are red dotted lines in my doc showing what I deleted, notes of
formatting. There's a box marked 'final showing markup' visible up in the
tool bar--I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before. Obviously I've accidentally
activated some feature or other. How do I ghet back to normal? (Normal to me
means just plain letters on the screen in the size and color of my
choice--and nothing else.)

thank you. this posting helped.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] abdimustafa419@gmail.com is offline

**** you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] celestes5911@gmail.com is offline

On May 20, 7:49Â*am, obillo wrote:
Typing in a new Word doc, all of a sudden my typing turns to red
underline--and won't allow me to change back to normal. I know I accidentally
brushed some key or other w/fingers of my right hand (I'm a v. bad 2-finger
typist) just before that happened.
Also--there are red dotted lines in my doc showing what I deleted, notes of
formatting. Â*There's a box marked 'final showing markup' visible up in the
tool bar--I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before. Obviously I've accidentally
activated some feature or other. How do I ghet back to normal? (Normal to me
means just plain letters on the screen in the size and color of my
choice--and nothing else.)

Thank you so much!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] nur.ellena.dadameah@gmail.com is offline

You just have to press alt+ctrl+the plus on the number keyboard.😊