Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bob Arnett Bob Arnett is offline

Default columns in header, footer, text box in Word

Is there a way to have columns in a header or footer? How about in a text
box? I had a document in Lotus WordPro but after saving it into a Word 97
document and then loading it into Word 2007, the columns that were in the
header, footer and text box (called a frame in WP) were gone. Each of these
three items contained a rather narrow table that would just continue in the
next column and made numbering and sorting the items in the table very easy.
I realize I could make a table with more columns but then the numbering and
sorting of the items gets a lot more complicated. If this isn't possible in
Word 2007, any other ideas or suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Word does not support columns in headers, footers, or text boxes. You will
have to use linked text boxes instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bob Arnett" wrote in message
Is there a way to have columns in a header or footer? How about in a text
box? I had a document in Lotus WordPro but after saving it into a Word 97
document and then loading it into Word 2007, the columns that were in the
header, footer and text box (called a frame in WP) were gone. Each of
these
three items contained a rather narrow table that would just continue in
the
next column and made numbering and sorting the items in the table very
easy.
I realize I could make a table with more columns but then the numbering
and
sorting of the items gets a lot more complicated. If this isn't possible
in
Word 2007, any other ideas or suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I'm having a problem visualizing exactly what you want to do - headers,
footers, & text boxes are all separate & distinct from the main content in a
Word doc - so please pardon me if I'm off track.

Would it provide what you want if you go to the Page Layout tab of the
Ribbon & select a 2-column layout, then create a table in the first column.
As the table grows to the bottom of the column it will wrap to the top of
the next. Although it may appear to be a separate table it is actually a
continuation of the one in the first column & will even carry on to
additional pages.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac