Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edward Edward is offline

Default Alternating page numbers in portrait and landscape

I am trying to format my dissertation using the page number command (under
header and footer tab). I have my sections in portrait and landscape with
the numbers of pages sequentially on all the pages. I even have the page
numbers in the proper location (portrait - top right & landscape - bottom
right), however I cannot rotate the landscape page numbers since they are not
in a table nor can I use the footer command b/c I have more than just one
page (twelve in landscape thus far).

Does anyone know how I can rotate the numbers in the landscape portion of
the document? I have viewed all I can find in these community forums but
none have had the same issue that I can find. Any help is much appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edward Edward is offline

BTW - I am not interested in dummy pages b/c I need to submit my dissertation
electronically in PDF format so they will not work in this case b/c I will
not be submitting a printed copy.

"Edward" wrote:

I am trying to format my dissertation using the page number command (under
header and footer tab). I have my sections in portrait and landscape with
the numbers of pages sequentially on all the pages. I even have the page
numbers in the proper location (portrait - top right & landscape - bottom
right), however I cannot rotate the landscape page numbers since they are not
in a table nor can I use the footer command b/c I have more than just one
page (twelve in landscape thus far).

Does anyone know how I can rotate the numbers in the landscape portion of
the document? I have viewed all I can find in these community forums but
none have had the same issue that I can find. Any help is much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edward Edward is offline

PS: I am using Word 2007. Also, I cannot use "dummy pages" b/c I need to
submit the document electronically in PDF format. I will not be submitting a
printed copy (as in the old days).

"Edward" wrote:

I am trying to format my dissertation using the page number command (under
header and footer tab). I have my sections in portrait and landscape with
the numbers of pages sequentially on all the pages. I even have the page
numbers in the proper location (portrait - top right & landscape - bottom
right), however I cannot rotate the landscape page numbers since they are not
in a table nor can I use the footer command b/c I have more than just one
page (twelve in landscape thus far).

Does anyone know how I can rotate the numbers in the landscape portion of
the document? I have viewed all I can find in these community forums but
none have had the same issue that I can find. Any help is much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edward Edward is offline

Thanks. I have seen that document but it doesn't address my needs at this
point. I just spoke to one of the senior staff at our computer help desk at
the Univ. and they tell me that Microsoft removed that function from Word
2007. How disappointing!

"Edward" wrote in message
I am trying to format my dissertation using the page number command (under
header and footer tab). I have my sections in portrait and landscape with
the numbers of pages sequentially on all the pages. I even have the page
numbers in the proper location (portrait - top right & landscape - bottom
right), however I cannot rotate the landscape page numbers since they are
not
in a table nor can I use the footer command b/c I have more than just one
page (twelve in landscape thus far).

Does anyone know how I can rotate the numbers in the landscape portion of
the document? I have viewed all I can find in these community forums but
none have had the same issue that I can find. Any help is much
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edward Edward is offline

The function to rotate page numbers using Text Direction in alternating
portrait and landscape pages using the regular header and footer page number
commands.

"Edward" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That has not been possible in any version of Word. In order to rotate text
you must have it in a text box, frame, or table cell. If you used Insert |
Page Numbers in an earlier version of Word (as opposed to the Insert Page
Number command on the Header and Footer toolbar), then the page number was
already in a frame.

"Edward" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edward Edward is offline

Then are you implying that when you add a page number using the Header and
Footer toolbar using Word 2007 it does not use a text box, frame or table
cell? Because if it were, then I would be able to rotate the text using the
Text Direction command? Sorry if I sound contrary - don't mean to be - just
trying to understand all this lingo. I am not a technical software user by
training - just learning on the "fly".

I guess what is throwing me is the term frame? I know what a text box is
and what a table is, but not sure what a frame is. The down side to this is
having to go in and manually use text boxes on each landscape page and
manually type in the page number and also being able to turn the page numbers
90 degrees - not to mention trying to align the page numbers with the rest of
the pages. Are there any simpler solutions? I am afraid I have run into the
end of any better choices.

"Edward" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's correct. When you use the Insert Page Number command on the H&F
toolbar, the PAGE field is inserted directly into the Header paragraph.
Although Header & Footer Tools | Design | Header & Footer | Page Number is
given as the equivalent of the Insert | Page Numbers command, I suspect that
it is not in fact inserting page numbers the same way Insert | Page Numbers
did, though few users would realize this.

A frame is somewhat like a text box--an older technology that the text box
was supposed to replace but, for a variety of reasons, didn't quite. For
more on that, see "WD2000: General Information About Floating Objects" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=268713

Word 97 removed the Frame command from the Insert menu and made it
devilishly hard to restore by labeling it "Horizontal" in the Customize
dialog. Word 2000 corrected the Customize dialog listing, but complicated
the issue by introducing an entirely new (Web-specific) kind of frame, which
caused even more confusion. No subsequent version has restored it to the
Insert menu (though savvy users may do so). It's possible you can find it in
Customize in Word 2007 somewhere among the "Commands Not in the Ribbon." But
since a text box will serve your needs as well as a frame for this purpose,
I suspect, there's no real need to learn how to use frames.

Until this thread, however, I have to confess that it had never occurred to
me that this was a built-in benefit of using Insert | Page Numbers (which
can otherwise cause so many problems because there's no way to remove the
number as easily as you insert it--see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...yIndented.htm). The article
at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...apeSection.htm should probably
be revised to take this into account for users of older versions.

"Edward" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edward Edward is offline

Thank you very much for your patience and explanation. It is very much
appreciated. Come to think of it - I do know what a frame is - I just didn't
know what they were called. I have used them in the past.

It would seem to me that Microsoft would be able to revise the program to be
able to use a Text Direction function (by inserting page numbers in either
table, frame or text box) on something like this where you alternate between
landscape and portrait because many people who type documents (i.e.
dissertations, white papers, etc) would be able to use this feature all the
time. I can't tell you how many times I've given up on trying to "figure
this out" in the past for papers done at work. It's not until now that I
have no choice in the page numbers that I have to learn (or improvise) about
getting the pages numbers correctly. Perhaps we can see some modifications
to the program in the future to address this minor issue. It would sure make
life a little easier by typing a document using both page orientations - as
well as many of my colleagues - by not having to use individual text boxes
for each page and manually paginate them.

Again, I appreciate the help and THANK YOU!

"Edward" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Making it easier to put portrait page numbers on a landscape page has been
on the MVP Wish List for each new version of Office for some time, IIRC.
Maybe this will make it into Word 14.