Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Saltlick Saltlick is offline

Default Footers in Word 2007

Hello,
I'm working in a lengthy manual, using mirror margins so that the document
has 2" of border on the outside of each portrait page. The doc will be
printed front and back. My problem is that I am unsure how to format the
footers. Currently, I am using first page, odd and even footers. Talk about a
complicated doc! Additionally, the Appendix has landscape documents as well.
The issues I am having are these:
1. The front matter is paginated with Roman numerals. They are not appearing
sequentially--why?
2. The chapters each have an intro page (odd-numbered) and a beginning page
(also odd-numbered). Word is not numbering any of these sections. I am having
to go in and manually number. How do I force it to number?
3. Each footer must contain a graphic jpeg of the company's logo. Wow. Word
footers sure don't like that arrangement with copyright text I have. On
mirror images, the footer is formatting differently on the odd and even
footers. How do I correct this?

Thanks for your help!
Salty
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

1. If you are saying that numbers are missing, note that you have to insert
page numbers separately for each type of footer (odd, even, continuous).
Also, in a document with multiple sections, each type of section can be
linked or unlinked to its "neighbor" in the preceding section. For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...rontMatter.htm and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm.

2. See above.

3. Is the logo positioned "In line with text"?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Saltlick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Saltlick" wrote in message
[...]

The article might be helpful if it was geared to Word 2007. I knew exactly how to do all this in Word 2003 and was all over it. Now, with the ribbon, it is almost impossible. Can you provide detailed steps to accomplish everything in Suzanne's article please? Why did Microsoft make this so complicated in 2007? ARGHHHHH!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles W Davis Charles W Davis is offline

Saltlick,
That is an extremely long article. For you to expect someone to rewrite it
for your benefit is kind of out of line.
If you would get over the "Why did they change..." attitude, you would find
that almost everthing discussed in that article applies to Word 2007. It'll
look a bit different, but there is little function added or deleted, just
the GUI has changed.

"Saltlick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Saltlick Saltlick is offline

Isn't this the point to technical documentation? So that your user
understands how to use it?

I am not finding a logical work flow to creating different footers in Word
2007 and that is why I am asking for one. Surely the person who developed the
interface for Word 2007 followed a logic. If Microsoft--or any software
company for that matter--is changing their GUI, they should also update their
tech docs, so users understand these changes.

Perhaps I am out of line. I should be using FrameMaker for all my manuals.
Thanks for pointing this out.

Salty

"Saltlick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You need to understand that the "tech docs" you've been pointed to are not
created by Microsoft but by peer volunteers. As it happens, I wrote both of
those articles. I am not yet using Word 2007, so I have been unable to
update any of my articles yet.

Perhaps you also don't understand that you are not addressing Microsoft in
this forum, either. All the support here is provided by other users.

If you want to consult official MS documentation, I suggest you start at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx.

"Saltlick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

As Charles wrote, the concepts are pretty much the same, but the commands
have new locations (which, of course, could be confusing at times). After
you've activated the header/footer area (you can do this by double-clicking
the header or footer), you'll note the following: The Link to Previous
command, previously on the Header and Footer toolbar, is now on the ribbon
(on the Header & Footer Tools / Design tab). You can access "Different first
page" and "Different odd and even" on the same tab (or, as before, in the
Page Setup dialog box).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]