+-Steve-+

Default Make Figure number the same as Heading number

I am writing a very structured document with some figures that I would like
to automatically number the same as the automatically numbered sections of
the document where they reside. The numbering of the sections is done with
the Heading styles. Is there a way to make the figure in that the section
have the number as the section? in other words I want a figure in section
4.2.3.2 to have the name "Fig 4.2.3.2",

SteveK

TF

Steve

Try using the StyleRef field referencing the heading level and use the /n
switch to insert just the number and not the full heading.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"+-Steve-+" wrote in message
:I am writing a very structured document with some figures that I would like
: to automatically number the same as the automatically numbered sections of
: the document where they reside. The numbering of the sections is done
with
: the Heading styles. Is there a way to make the figure in that the section
: have the number as the section? in other words I want a figure in section
: 4.2.3.2 to have the name "Fig 4.2.3.2",
:
: SteveK
:
:

SteveK

Okay, back at work with the document in front of me:
(In case I didn't mention it I am using

Your solution brings up a few things I don't understand.

I have a text that says "Fig" under the .wmf that I have inserted in to the
document. I have the cursor set to one space after "Fig". I then go to the
Insert Field StyleRef, pick Heading 4 (which is 4.2.3.2) and then hit
the Field Codes button. It comes up with

STYLEREF "Heading 4"

When I put in

STYLEREF "Heading 4"/n or
STYLEREF "Heading 4" /n

I get an error message. Where do I add the /n that you are talking about?

"+-Steve-+" wrote in message
:I am writing a very structured document with some figures that I would

like
: to automatically number the same as the automatically numbered sections

of
: the document where they reside. The numbering of the sections is done
with
: the Heading styles. Is there a way to make the figure in that the

section
: have the number as the section? in other words I want a figure in

section
: 4.2.3.2 to have the name "Fig 4.2.3.2",
:
: SteveK
:
: