Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Matt Wolodarsky

Default Associating meta-data (for document control purposes) with a Word

Hello,

I am trying to associate meta data with a Word file. I would like this meta
data viewable by all users of the document, but for it not to appear on the
Word sheet. The meta data will be to capture document control information -
specifically:

Version number and a tracking of all revisions - e.g.: date of revision,
associated version number, author of revision, revision description.

Ideally, would like a solution that allows for the information that is
typically stored on the document control page of a document to be captured in
a separate window associated with a Word file (kind of like how custom
properties work, but this is too limited for what I'm trying to accomplish).
This approach will allow document control information to be captured in a
template (viewable, but not part of a document sheet) but will not require
the user of a template to delete the document control page each time they go
to use the template.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You might consider document control software that keeps all of the
meta-data in a database but also leaves the word docs in their native
format. The app from Manedge Software (http://manedge.com) comes to
mind.

Hope this helps.