c_angler

Default numbering chapter sub headings

I am trying to number sub headings in chapters. All chapter titles are
working with Header 1. Now I need each chapter sub heading to be numbered
like this:
for Chapter 1: 1.1,1.2,1.3 for Chapter 2: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3.
I want two digits showing. I have gone to a Header 2 for that, and tried to
modify numbering, even unchecked the box that says restart numbering after,
and all my subheads throughout the multi chapter document are labeled 1.1.
What am I doing wrong?
I have read all the answers I can find in the group session and still can't
fix this thing! The document was written with little or no styles applied,
and I am having to do that now.
Thanks in advance.

c_angler

Thank You Suzanne.
I had gone to that website before based on your advice to others, and I must
have been doing something wrong still.
It is working now so far, but 2 more questions.
I adjusted all Levels 1-9, but in at least one chapter, I have more than 8
sub headings. How do I get subheaders after that. For example I need 4.9,
4.10, 4.11, etc.
My second question is: In some chapters the sub headed paragraphs go on for
more than one page, so I put cont. in the title. However, I do not want the
"cont" headers in my TOC. For example section 2.1 is on page 3 pages. I use
the same Header 2 for each of those pages, but on every page after the first,
I just type the word cont. How do I keep all the continued headers out of
the TOC?
Thanks

"c_angler" wrote in message
I am trying to number sub headings in chapters. All chapter titles are
working with Header 1. Now I need each chapter sub heading to be numbered
like this:
for Chapter 1: 1.1,1.2,1.3 for Chapter 2: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3.
I want two digits showing. I have gone to a Header 2 for that, and tried

modify numbering, even unchecked the box that says restart numbering

after,
and all my subheads throughout the multi chapter document are labeled 1.1.
What am I doing wrong?
I have read all the answers I can find in the group session and still

can't
fix this thing! The document was written with little or no styles

applied,
and I am having to do that now.
Thanks in advance.

I don't have an answer about the continued headings (which I would omit,
though you might want to look into the use of the StyleRef field for this),
but I think you have a misconception about the numbering. The heading
numbers 4.9, 4.10, and 4.11 should all be the same level: Level 2. Assuming
that the chapter number (Chapter 4 in this case) is Level 1, then Level 2
repeats the chapter number and adds its own numbering, from 1 to as high as
you need to count.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You must set up your headings as an outline-numbered list, carefully
following the instructions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"c_angler" wrote in message
[...]

c_angler

Suanne:
I would agree that I have a misconception. But, when I try to label each
subheading of a chapter with my Level 2 type heading, then each subheading
gets labeled as Chapter #.1. They all end in .1 because that is how I asked
level 2 to be numbered when I formatted the numbering. And, I followed the
Shelley instructions and formatted the numbering in the Header 1 type only.
Because this happened, I just used Header 3 for subheading 3 in all chapters,
Header 4 for all subheading 4 in all chapters, and it worked.... With the one
flaw: I don't have enough headers to get through the long chapters.
Does this have something to do with checking or not checking the "restart
numbering after" box when formatting the numbers?

"c_angler" wrote in message
[...]

It sounds as if you must have typed a 1 into the "Number format" box for
Level 2. You need to delete that and select 1, 2, 3 from the "Number style"
box and set the numbering to restart after Level 1.

To clarify: Heading 1 is used for the top-level heading in the document. In
your case this is probably the chapter number. Heading 2 is used for your
Level 2 subheads--all of them. Heading 3 is for #3 heads, Heading 4 for #4
heads, and so on--with the proviso that there shouldn't be any "and so on."
Any document that uses more than four levels of subheads will be unreadable
(and this *does* apply to bureaucratic and legalistic mumbo-jumbo).

"c_angler" wrote in message
[...]

c_angler

Suzanne:
Thank you so much for your help. It is working!!
I did type a number in the "number format" box in an effort to "force" the
numbering to look the way I wanted it to. I have used Word for years now, but
have never had to format entire manuals AFTER they have been written. Still
I should know better than to think I can force Word to do anything.

I would like to create a template or macro (not sure which), so that our
manuals will be formatted as our writers write them, but I would design how
the layout would look. For instance, I want them to be able to hit a button
in the toolbar for every time they start a chapter heading, and hit a button
in the toolbar every time they need to type a subheading.
Where can I go for more information on that?

"c_angler" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

See http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm. It
has a template for a manual that you can download and use as a starter. See
the Shauna Kelly page I referred you to earlier for setting up your outline
numbering. Teach your people writing to apply styles to get their numbering
(as well as to do other formatting).
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It sounds as if you must have typed a 1 into the "Number format" box for
Level 2. You need to delete that and select 1, 2, 3 from the "Number
style"
box and set the numbering to restart after Level 1.

To clarify: Heading 1 is used for the top-level heading in the document.
In
your case this is probably the chapter number. Heading 2 is used for your
Level 2 subheads--all of them. Heading 3 is for #3 heads, Heading 4 for

Assuming the headings use specific numbered styles (as they should), then a
toolbar or menu containing these styles would make it easy for them. You can
easily assign styles to a toolbar or menu using Tools | Customize, and if
you want buttons, you could label them with a big 1, 2, 3. There are also
built-in keyboard shortcuts for Headings 1-3.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It sounds as if you must have typed a 1 into the "Number format" box for
Level 2. You need to delete that and select 1, 2, 3 from the "Number

style"
box and set the numbering to restart after Level 1.

To clarify: Heading 1 is used for the top-level heading in the document.

In
your case this is probably the chapter number. Heading 2 is used for

your
Level 2 subheads--all of them. Heading 3 is for #3 heads, Heading 4 for

c_angler

My numbering looks as it should now.
I am now having trouble with my TOC.
As I mentioned early on, I am formatting a document that was already
composed with all sorts of bold text, different size font, etc, which shows
as all different types "styles", whether correct or not, in the styles and
format box.
So, as I modified my headers, based my header 1 on no style and linked it to
level 1, based Header 2 on Header 1, and linked it to level 2, and did the
same for level 3.
I don't have any other levels.
Now when I insert my TOC, or update my TOC, only my level 2 headers show,
none of the chapters show up. I have adjusted the dialog box in the TOC menu
to show 1 level, then I showed 2 levels, and neither worked.
Can you help?
Thanks!

"c_angler" wrote in message
[...]

c_angler

Adding to my confusion:
After I carefully formatted heading 1 and heading 2 following the directions
in shaunakelly's document, when I look at the document in "outline view", I
just noticed that my Chapter 1, Chapter 2 headings aren't labeled as a level
1. They are labeled as body text. How can that be if the headings were
formatted as stated in the document. And each Chapter 1 is in a black box
like it is a field, not just text.
My document looks great, it's just the TOC that I can't get fixed now.
Does this matter: I renamed my headings as I modified them so that I would
recognize it, then I formatted the numbering from what I call my header1 like
shauna kelly says to. Could it be that even though I am calling it Header 1,
it really isn't, and if so, what can I do?
I feel helpless now!
"c_angler" wrote:

I am trying to number sub headings in chapters. All chapter titles are
working with Header 1. Now I need each chapter sub heading to be numbered
like this:
for Chapter 1: 1.1,1.2,1.3 for Chapter 2: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3.
I want two digits showing. I have gone to a Header 2 for that, and tried to
modify numbering, even unchecked the box that says restart numbering after,
and all my subheads throughout the multi chapter document are labeled 1.1.
What am I doing wrong?
I have read all the answers I can find in the group session and still can't
fix this thing! The document was written with little or no styles applied,
and I am having to do that now.
Thanks in advance.

c_angler

Thank you, I think I need even more help than that. This document is
multiple chapters, It has been cut and pasted from all different locations,
so when I show the styles/formatting box on the right, there are literally
over 50 "styles" applied. I can't even find the original Heading 1 over
there!
Is there a quick way to take a document like this and apply a limited number
of styles to it, say about 7? I want the document to have Heading 1, 2, and
3 only. Then I want body text, maybe bullet text, maybe label text for
labeling figures, and that's it. Is there a way to make the styles I want
and apply them to an already written document that shows so many "styles"
everywhere I look?
Thanks again for helping me in my ongoing struggle.

"c_angler" wrote:

[...]

I would suggest that you proceed as follows:

1. Print a hard copy of the document so that you have a reference for
formatting (this is optional, but it will help you see what paragraphs
authors intended as block quotes, figure captions, etc.).

2. Make a copy of the document file.

3. In the copy, press Ctrl+A, then Ctrl+Q and Ctrl+Spacebar. This will
remove all directly applied formatting.

4. With the entire document selected, apply the Body Text style to the whole
thing since that will likely be the style ultimately applied to most of the
paragraphs.

5. Delete any section breaks in the document.

6. Create a new document based on the template you plan to use (with
Headings 1-3, Body Text, List Bullet, Caption, etc., formatted as you want
them).

7. Use Insert | File to insert the stripped copy of the document into your
new template.

8. Go through the document applying heading and other styles as required. If
you have Word 2002 or 2003, using the Styles and Formatting task pane makes
style tagging go quite quickly.

9. Now you are ready to create headers and footers, insert section breaks as
needed, generate a TOC and/or index, etc.

This is a tedious task at best, but it's the best way to ensure a clean
document that it is easy to work with.

"c_angler" wrote:

[...]

c_angler

Suzanne
I was hoping to avoid having to do it this way, but here goes.
I just have another question about step 7 Insert file, to insert the
stripped copy into my new template.
Is this assuming that I created a document with the headings I like, saved
it as a template, then insert file, choose that template, then click ok?
Can you explain this part a little more?
Thanks

"c_angler" wrote:

I am trying to number sub headings in chapters. All chapter titles are
working with Header 1. Now I need each chapter sub heading to be numbered
like this:
for Chapter 1: 1.1,1.2,1.3 for Chapter 2: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3.
I want two digits showing. I have gone to a Header 2 for that, and tried to
modify numbering, even unchecked the box that says restart numbering after,
and all my subheads throughout the multi chapter document are labeled 1.1.
What am I doing wrong?
I have read all the answers I can find in the group session and still can't
fix this thing! The document was written with little or no styles applied,
and I am having to do that now.
Thanks in advance.

You can either create a document with the headings you like and save it as a
template or create it as a template from scratch (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm). If you
don't intend to use this template for anything but the current document,
then you could just as well use the document itself and skip the step of
creating a template. So you have a choice:

1. Format your document with the desired styles and layout and then use
Insert | File to insert the stripped document; or

2. Format your document/template with the desired styles and layout and save
as a template. Use File | New to create a new document based on the template
and then Insert | File.

"c_angler" wrote:

[...]

c_angler

I am having another major problem. I have stripped the document, applied my
few styles. I formatted the style Heading 1 like shauna kelley describes.
However, my first chapter that I apply it to says Chapter 2, every chapter
after follows in the right number order. My first page is a title page, all
done in body text, my 2-3 page is just an intro. all done in body text with
some bold.
Finally, my 4th page is where Chapter 1 starts, I have removed page and
section breaks, but still my first ch says Ch2. What can I do? I can't
proceed with page numbering until I fix this.
Thanks again

"c_angler" wrote:

I am trying to number sub headings in chapters. All chapter titles are
working with Header 1. Now I need each chapter sub heading to be numbered
like this:
for Chapter 1: 1.1,1.2,1.3 for Chapter 2: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3.
I want two digits showing. I have gone to a Header 2 for that, and tried to
modify numbering, even unchecked the box that says restart numbering after,
and all my subheads throughout the multi chapter document are labeled 1.1.
What am I doing wrong?
I have read all the answers I can find in the group session and still can't
fix this thing! The document was written with little or no styles applied,
and I am having to do that now.
Thanks in advance.

you didn't set the numbering to start from 2. If you didn't, then use Find
to look for a Heading 1 paragraph before your first Heading 1. My guess
would be that you inserted a manual page break before the chapter number
paragraph; the page break has the same style formatting as the following
paragraph. Instead of a manual page break, use the "Page break before"
property in the paragraph or style.

If all the subheads are 1.1, then there's a chance that the numbering in the
"Number format" box is typed numbers rather than fields. If they don't have
a gray background, then they're not fields.

"c_angler" wrote:

[...]

c_angler

Suzanne
I have checked the number formatting for Heading 1. It is definitely set to
start at 1. In the number format box, there is a 1 in the gray field.
For kicks, I chose to start at Chapter 0, and wouldn't you know, my first
chapter then becomes Chapter 1 instead of Chapter 2. This could work, but I
still need to find the error that is causing this. I did Edit, find,
hightlight all items found in: header and footer. When I do this, it first
takes me to my title page of the document, but I don't see a Heading 1 there.
In fact, I selected the entire title page and put it in regular body text,
then I even cut it out of the document and it still didn't label Ch 1
correctly.
One bit of info. I did cut and paste the entire unformatted, unstlyed
document into what I thought was a template I created for this manual with
just the styles I wanted to use. Could there be an error there and can you
help me find it?
Thanks

"c_angler" wrote:

[...]

c_angler

I took out the manual page break, it didn't change. I then went to modify
heading 1 and checked the box page break before, in addition to the other two
boxes that were checked window orphan control and Keep with next. I even
then unchecked keep with next and it still didn't change. Do you have some
more suggestions?

"c_angler" wrote in message
[...]

sure

"c_angler" wrote:

[...]

c_angler

Just another note:
I made what I think is a template. It contains these words:
Chapter Heading
Sub heading
Heading 3
body text
bullet text , etc. I applied the style I want applied to each of those
things, then saved that as a template. I save my stripped document. Then I
opened the template, picked insert file, and inserted my stripped document
into the template. The words Chapter heading, sub heading, heading 3, etc.
showed up at the end of my stripped manual. At first, that is what I thought
caused the Ch1 problem, but I have since deleted these words and it is still
happening. I am certain I don't understand how templates work, even after
reading the suggested reading. If I insert a document into what also looks
like a document, then I just have one document that shows first then another
one. When I save a template, are there any words on the page? I am really
confused on this one.

"c_angler" wrote:

[...]

When you save a template (.dot file), you don't have to save any text in it
because the styles are saved with the template and can be applied to the
text in the new documents you create based on the template. I still don't
understand why you're having the reported problem, but if you would like to
send me a *small* sample file the exhibits the error, I'll take a look at
it.

"c_angler" wrote:

[...]

c_angler

One more bit of information:
I have read and tried to understand them, but I am not a template expert.
However, I did create a template that looks like this:
Chapter Heading
Subheading
body text
bullet list
numbered bullet, etc.
I then applied a stlye to each of those that I wanted used in our manuals.
I saved that as a template, then did Insert File and inserted my stripped
file into that template. So, the words that I typed into my template so I
could apply the style, showed up in my document. I applied styles to my
document, then deleted those words. Could this be affecting my Chapter 1?
One more thing, I right clicked on my first chapter, which says it is ch 2,
and clicked "Restart Numbering", which it did so it does appear to be chapter
one now. However, in the page numbering every page in the chapter includes
the Ch2 heading- page number. Can you help me with what is going on "behind
the scenes" in this doc.?
Thanks

"c_angler" wrote in message
[...]

sure

"c_angler" wrote:

[...]

The first few pages would suffice. If you were using a proper newsreader,
you'd see my email address, but since the Communities format doesn't display
it, send the doc to sbarnhill (at) mvps (dot) org.

"c_angler" wrote in message
[...]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

and
make
sure
[...]

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"c_angler" wrote in

message

"c_angler" wrote:

[...]

pasdetrois

What about a situation where someone has already messed around with styles
and you cannot seem to fix them. I'm working in a client's document and my
problem is that even though I select an outline numbered header to apply, it
won't apply to every place I want to apply it. For example, I can get 1.0 and
2.0 but not 3.0.

When I try to use the instructions provided in the URL in this thread, I
cannot get past level 2/header 2 (I cannot get a third level to work).

I did try clearing and re-setting all the numbering selections, but they did
not re-set to what I'm used to seeing as default. So I did not have good
numbering selections to choose from.

"c_angler" wrote:

[...]

pasdetrois

Thank you so much for this assistance. I am using it now.

Meanwhile, as I am having to work on a client's PC, how do I restore the
lovely default Word styles and numbering/bulleting defaults? Someone has
revised them many times over and made a mess and I cannot get them back. Does
the software have to be re-installed?

"c_angler" wrote:

[...]

pasdetrois

Update to below: I still cannot get the outline numbering to work.
Specifically I can get level 1 (1, 2, 3, etc.) to work fine, and 1.1, 1.2,
etc. to work fine, but in Section 2 I cannot get 2.1, 2.2, etc. instead of a
repeat of 1.1, 1.2. Among other things, I get confused about working in Style
numbering format and Bullets and Numbering formatting.

"c_angler" wrote:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

Bad practice to throw in a second unrelated question, pasdetrois, chances
are no one will see it.

No, you don't need to reinstall. Generating a new Normal template should do
the trick, see this links:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

And read this one for your own edification:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm

I hope the "lovely" is sarcastic. Make sure you save the Old Normal
template so that you can give the client back their settings when you leave.