not2bright not2bright is offline
Junior Member

Default Convert Word Document To Markdown (and Vice Versa)?

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to use Word's "replace" function (in my case it's Word 2007) to change a page of HTML (.docx) into markdown format (e.g. changing all words/phrases in italics to words/phrases with asterisks before and after). I'd also like to know if this would work in reverse, i.e. taking a text file written in markdown and having Word convert it into HTML (replacing ### with level three headings, replacing words surrounded with double-asterisks into bold text, etc.).

Is this possible?

Thanks. :-)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] robert.m.franz@gmail.com is offline

On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 3:31:06 PM UTC+2, not2bright wrote:
I'm wondering if it's possible to use Word's "replace" function (in my
case it's Word 2007) to change a page of HTML (.docx) into markdown
format (e.g. changing all words/phrases in italics to words/phrases with
asterisks before and after). I'd also like to know if this would work
in reverse, i.e. taking a text file written in markdown and having Word
convert it into HTML (replacing ### with level three headings, replacing
words surrounded with double-asterisks into bold text, etc.).

Some replacements should be easy to do with search/replace, others might be more cumbersome.
A dose of VBA could certainly help (then also for MD--DOC(X).

A quick online search results in:
online convert Word 2 MD
https://word-to-markdown.herokuapp.com/

universal converter
https://pandoc.org/

I haven't tested either ...

Regards,
NextName
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] sheremetyeva@gmail.com is offline

On Sunday, 15 October 2017 14:31:06 UTC+1, not2bright wrote:
I'm wondering if it's possible to use Word's "replace" function (in my
case it's Word 2007) to change a page of HTML (.docx) into markdown
format (e.g. changing all words/phrases in italics to words/phrases with
asterisks before and after). I'd also like to know if this would work
in reverse, i.e. taking a text file written in markdown and having Word
convert it into HTML (replacing ### with level three headings, replacing
words surrounded with double-asterisks into bold text, etc.).

Hi there!
You can save your MS Word document as Markdown document without any manual changes, using Writage plugin. It will allow you to open, edit and save MD files in MS Word or save DOCX files in MD format from MS Word.