Pistaccio

Default How do I decrease the size of the footnote area in Word?

I'm using word 2003 and I don't know how to decrease the footnote area. When
I insert footnotes, word automatically leaves a lot of space above them that
I cannot use to write the regular text. I would like the footnote separator
to be just above the footnotes but I can't find how to do this.
Stefan Blom

1. Make sure footnote placement is "Bottom of page": On the Insert
menu, click Reference, and then click Footnote (in Word 97/2000, it's
just InsertFootnote). Click the All Footnotes tab. Make sure "Place
at" is set to "Bottom of page". Click OK, and then click Close.

2. Make sure no spacing has been added to the footnote separator:
Click Normal on the View menu. Click ViewFootnotes. In the Footnote
pane, click "Footnote Separator". Choose FormatParagraph. Click the
Indents and Spacing tab. If you see anything but 0 (zero) for Spacing
Before and Spacing After, change it to 0. And make sure Line Spacing
is set to "Single". Click OK to close the dialog box.

3. Close the Footnote pane.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pistaccio" wrote in message
I'm using word 2003 and I don't know how to decrease the footnote

area. When
I insert footnotes, word automatically leaves a lot of space above

them that
I cannot use to write the regular text. I would like the footnote

separator
to be just above the footnotes but I can't find how to do this.

Pistaccio

Hi Stefan,

Thanks a lot for your reply but I had already done all the things you
mention and still had the problem.

Do you have any other idea?

Stefan Blom

Make sure that the footnotes don't contain any empty paragraphs: Click
the ¶ button on the Standard toolbar to turn on display of nonprinting
marks. If you see any unnecessary paragraph marks (¶) in the
footnotes, delete those. For example:

1 This is my first footnote.¶
¶ -- Place the cursor before
this paragraph mark and press
BACKSPACE.
2 This is my second footnote.¶

Another thing to check is that the Footnote Text paragraph style has
Line Spacing set to "Single" and that Spacing Before and/or After are
both set to either a small amount (say 2-4 pt) or to 0 (zero).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pistaccio" wrote in message
Hi Stefan,

Thanks a lot for your reply but I had already done all the things

you
mention and still had the problem.

Do you have any other idea?

Pistaccio

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for replying again. There were no paragraphs signs, I had checked
that already.

Anyway, it seems it was something wrong with that particular document
because I selected all and copied it into a new document and there the
footnotes didn't leave so much space beneath them. It was still not perfect
but way better and the rest of the problem, I discovered, came from some
"spaces" in the footer section.
I still don't know why copying the whole stuff into a new document was able
to solve this but it did...
Thanks for your help anyway

Stefan Blom

Anyway, it seems it was something wrong with that particular
document
because I selected all and copied it into a new document and there

the
footnotes didn't leave so much space beneath them.

Documents sometimes get corrupted. Copying the contents (except for
the final paragraph mark) into a new document is one of the fixes
covered in the article about corruption at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

It was still not perfect
but way better and the rest of the problem, I discovered, came from
some
"spaces" in the footer section.

What kind of spaces are you referring to? How did you manage to delete
them?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP