Stan Brown

Default Trouble with Shortcut Organizer -- any advice?

http://www.chriswoodman.co.uk/Shortcut%20Organizer.htm is often
recommended by the MVPs to transfer keyboard shortcuts from one
template to another.

For me, (Word 2003, Win XP Pro SP2), Shortcut Organizer macro runs
but doesn't bring up its Organizer dialog box.

Details of what I did:

Downloaded version 2. (I tried version 3, but it's the same file as
version 2. I tried contacting the uthor, but e-mail to the address on
is Web page bounced.)

Opened shortorg.dot, read instructions, closed Word, moved
shortorg.dot to my startup directory

Double-clicked on my resume to open Word. The two-button toolbar
appeared, but when I clicked on the Organizer button the Organizer
box did not appear: there was no error message, nothing. When I
clicked on the "Organize Keyboard" menu item on its own I also got
nothing. (Document Variables does bring up its box.)

Closed Word, reopened it; clicked the button; got the message about
"cannot run from a document that has not been saved". So we know the
macro runs, but for some reason it just doesn't open its dialog box.

Is shortorg just not compatible with Word 2003, or is there something
I should be doing differently?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child
Charles Kenyon

The macro works in my version of Word 2003.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Stan Brown

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:32:12 -0500 in microsoft.public.word.newusers,
Charles Kenyon favored us with...

The macro works in my version of Word 2003.

Can you offer any suggestions to help figure out how I can get it
working on mine?

Remember that we do know it runs, because in an unsaved document it
brings up its message about that. But it won't display its organizer
dialog.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child
Stan Brown

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 10:02:34 -0400 in microsoft.public.word.newusers,
Stan Brown favored us with...
On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:32:12 -0500 in microsoft.public.word.newusers,
Charles Kenyon favored us with...

The macro works in my version of Word 2003.

Can you offer any suggestions to help figure out how I can get it
working on mine?

Remember that we do know it runs, because in an unsaved document it
brings up its message about that. But it won't display its organizer
dialog.

Apparently there's a VBA error message that only appears when you
step through the macro: "Visual Basic is not trusted" (or words to
that effect -- it's not in front of me now). The solution is to
select Tools - Macro - Security - Trusted Publishers and check
"Trust access to Visual Basic Project."

Once I do that, the Shortkey Organizer dialog box does come up.
Unfortunately, it shows a shortcut in NORMAL.DOT that actually isn't
the Ctrl-Shift-A for All Caps. If the author didn't have a wrong
address on his Web page
http://www.chriswoodman.co.uk/Shortcut%20Organizer.htm
I'd let him know of the problems.

rant
I'm just a layman, but it seems to me that a security model is broken
if you have to defeat the security to get any useful work done. It
seems like everything I try to do, even when not connected to the
Internet, gets one or more annoying pop-ups. Then I have to ferret
through the help system (or go on line and Google) to find out which
"helpful" security feature to turn off. Heck, Microsoft even tell you
to turn off a security feature so that Windows Genuine Advantage will
work!

Don't get me wrong -- I'm all for security. But it's been implemented
REALLY badly in XP from where I sit.

The idea of security is -- or should be -- to let you get work done
without letting intruders disrupt your system. UNIX does this every
day of the week. Microsoft have the benefit of a model to follow: why
on earth did they have to reinvent the wheel and do such a lousy job?
/rant

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

Stan Brown

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 23:21:28 -0500 in microsoft.public.word.newusers,
Suzanne S. Barnhill favored us with...
Once I do that, the Shortkey Organizer dialog box does come up.
Unfortunately, it shows a shortcut in NORMAL.DOT that actually isn't
the Ctrl-Shift-A for All Caps. If the author didn't have a wrong
address on his Web page
http://www.chriswoodman.co.uk/Shortcut%20Organizer.htm
I'd let him know of the problems.

FWIW, the default (built-in) shortcut for AllCaps is Ctrl+Shift+A. Possibly
you have assigned it to something else or unassigned it.

Yes, I know that. I didn't have it assigned, reassigned, or
unassigned. :-) Shortcut Organizer simply listed it as being in
Normal.dot even though it wasn't. (It didn't list any of the other
standard Word shortcut keys.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.