A DeLew

Default How Do I Determine Type of Graphic?

I use Office 200s. Is there anyway to determine the type of graphic (.jpg,
..bmp, etc) that is inserted in a Word or PowerPoint doc?
Also, when pasting a graphic into Word (2003) why does sometimes the graphic
displays immediately and another will have up to a 30 second delay before
displaying?
AND, while we're on the subject, is there anyway to change the Paste default
type for graphics? I'm not sure what it is as I don't know how to tell the
graphic type, but when I go to Paste Special HTML is always the default
choice.

Jezebel

Once the graphic is inserted, it is a WMF regardless of the format it had
before insertion.The quality and size of the WMF is determined in part by
the format of the source graphic, and in part by any modifications you might
have made after insertion.

The speed issue is worst if the graphic was inserted using copy and paste:
if you copied directly from a graphics application, what you have in Word is
not a simple graphic but an application object. So when you activate the
graphic in Word you're actually starting in instance of the graphic
application.

To improve the quality of the graphics and Word's performance in dealing
with them:

1. Prepare the graphic in a graphics application, setting the size and
resolution you want to end up with in Word.

2. Save the graphic as a file (GIF or JPG depending on graphic type)

3. Import the graphic into Word using Insert Picture From File

4. Make no changes to the graphic after insertion.

"A DeLew" wrote in message
I use Office 200s. Is there anyway to determine the type of graphic (.jpg,
.bmp, etc) that is inserted in a Word or PowerPoint doc?
Also, when pasting a graphic into Word (2003) why does sometimes the
graphic displays immediately and another will have up to a 30 second delay
before displaying?
AND, while we're on the subject, is there anyway to change the Paste
default type for graphics? I'm not sure what it is as I don't know how to
tell the graphic type, but when I go to Paste Special HTML is always the
default choice.

Caroline

Hi Jezebel,
In the past I have had to try to insert company logos into Word 2002.
Usually I have had problems getting a decent resolution/file size (partly
because I only had available the Windows default graphics application eg.
Paintbrush).
The best solution I could find was to insert the larger, high resolution bmp
into Word, and then, in order to reduce the file size, Cut and Paste Special
as a different file type from *within Word*. GIF or PNG seemed to have the
best results.

Would this cause the slow speed problems you are referring to?

Cheers,
Caroline.

"A DeLew" wrote in message
I use Office 200s. Is there anyway to determine the type of graphic (.jpg,
.bmp, etc) that is inserted in a Word or PowerPoint doc?
Also, when pasting a graphic into Word (2003) why does sometimes the
graphic displays immediately and another will have up to a 30 second delay
before displaying?
AND, while we're on the subject, is there anyway to change the Paste
default type for graphics? I'm not sure what it is as I don't know how to
tell the graphic type, but when I go to Paste Special HTML is always the
default choice.

Jezebel

Not something I'd make dogmatic assertions about either way, other than to
say that Word is REALLY BAD at manipulating graphics. Actually doubt it
would cause speed problems, but it is likely to cause file bloat.

There are plenty of free graphics apps around these days (MS Imaging, or the
built-ins that come with scanners and digital cameras.)

"A DeLew" wrote in message
I use Office 200s. Is there anyway to determine the type of graphic
(.jpg,
.bmp, etc) that is inserted in a Word or PowerPoint doc?
Also, when pasting a graphic into Word (2003) why does sometimes the
graphic displays immediately and another will have up to a 30 second
delay
before displaying?
AND, while we're on the subject, is there anyway to change the Paste
default type for graphics? I'm not sure what it is as I don't know how
tell the graphic type, but when I go to Paste Special HTML is always
the
default choice.

Caroline

I'd agree with the comment about Word being terrible about manipulating
graphics. The method I used was mainly because I was desperate to get a logo
down to a small file size without it becoming impossible fuzzy. It seemed to
work, and we never found any file bloat when the file was used in production
(this was a letterhead of course, so there was a lot of that). But if I have
to do it again, I might post to the graphics group and see what solutions
they come up with.

Cheers,
Caroline.