Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Apply style to a paragraph

Also, you may want to turn off "Keep track of formatting" in Tools | Options,
Edit tab. That way, the Styles and Formatting pane will be less cluttered.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Select the text and press Ctrl+SpaceBar to clear the direct font formatting
(that is, font formatting not in style).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Priya" wrote in message
Sorry for now being clear.

No. I have been using a style 'New Para' that has Arial + 10 pt. But when
apply the style to a paragraph that is in Times New Roman, it changes
to "New Para + Times New Roman, 12 pt"
--
Thanks and regards,
Priya

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

What you describe in these two messages is not applying styles, but
applying formatting.

The Styles are the things with names like "Normal" and "Heading 1";
when you choose those names, with the cursor in a paragraph but
without any text selected, the paragraph switches to that style.

You see "Normal + Arial" or whatever because you have the option to
"Keep track of formatting" turned on.

If you want an Arial style that you can apply to many paragraphs, then
click the "New Style" button at the bottom of the Styles panel and
change what you want to change -- such as the font and the size. (You
can change anything if you click "Format" in the New Style panel.)
Give the new style a name, and click OK. Your new style then appears
in your list of styles and you can use it anywhere.

On Jul 2, 11:26 pm, Priya wrote:
Hi,

The style only has the paragraph symbol next to it.

When I apply the style to a paragraph that is in Times New Roman, it
changes
to "my style + Times New Roman, 12 pt"

The style I want to use is Arial + 10 pt.

Thanks.

--
Thanks and regards,
Priya

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
To access the Styles panel, press Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S.

Paragraph styles have only a paragraph mark beside them.

The styles with both a paragraph mark and an a beside them are some
new hybrid category of styles whose use and significance is far from
clear.

On Jul 2, 8:08 am, Pesach Shelnitz pesach18(AT)hotmail.com wrote:
Hi Priya,

In both Word 2003 and Word 2007, you would also see this behavior
when you
apply a character style. One difference between Word 2003 and Word
2007 is
that Word 2007 has many predefined character styles, and I'm
finding it
difficult to distinguish between paragraph styles and character
styles in the
Ribbon. An easier way to be sure whether a style is a paragraph
style or a
character style is to press Ctrl+Shift+S and the press the little
arrow to
expand the dropdown list. In this list, the paragraph styles are
marked with
a paragraph symbol and a letter a, while the character styles are
marked with
only a letter a. Make sure that you are trying to apply a paragraph
style..

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"Priya" wrote:
Hi Pesach,

No. I have not selected any text. I even tried placing the cursor
between
two words. Is there a setting that makes Word do this?
--
Thanks and regards,
Priya

"Pesach Shelnitz" wrote:

Hi Priya,

To the best of my knowledge, there is no difference between
Word 2003 and
Word 2007 in this regard. In both versions, if you select text
within a
paragraph and apply a paragraph style to it, the text
formatting defined in
the style will be applied only to the selected text and the
paragraph style
will not be applied. If you place the cursor anywhere in a
paragraph without
selecting text, the paragraph style will be applied to the
entire paragraph.
Make sure that you haven't selected any text in the paragraph
and try to
apply a style again.
--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"Priya" wrote:

I have been using Word 2003 and have recently started using
Word 2007. When I
want to apply a style in Word 2003, I just click anywhere
within the
paragraph, without selecting any text, and click the style I
want to apply.
The style is applied to the entire paragraph. However, when I
try the same in
Word 2007, the style is applied only to the word that has the
cursor in it,
instead of the entire paragraph.
--
Thanks and regards,