Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EdH

Default cannot save word files - freezes computer

Something strange started today. I cannot save word files. Whenever I try to
save the file, the computer freezes and I loose all the work!

Help please. Any ideas? Could it be related to office updates?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

See "Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows
shell after you install security update MS06-015"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165

--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"EdH" wrote:

Something strange started today. I cannot save word files. Whenever I try to
save the file, the computer freezes and I loose all the work!

Help please. Any ideas? Could it be related to office updates?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve from Simi Valley

This has happened to me also...it is the result of Microsoft's Security
Update MS06-015. When instructed to go to
http://support.microsoft/com/Kb/918165 and modify the registry I proceeded to
make that change as suggested. That didn't work either. However I did find
that the executable file is verclsid.exe which I believe was installed as a
result of the security update.

I did find a way to work around it. When in a Microsoft program...Word or
Excel...for example..hit "file" and if the hourglass doesn't immediately open
the dialog box hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and the Task Manager pops up...search for
the file verclsid.exe...highlight and hit "End Process"...a warning will
pop-up but click out of it...the next level of the dialog box will come up.

Continue that process...as dumb as that sounds...but you will eventually get
to the folder that you want to save your work...hit Save and it will save the
document.

I think the executable file should be removed but I am concerned that it
will do something else to my computer...I was on the phone for 45 minutes and
still couldn't get support...

Steve from Simi Valley

"EdH" wrote:

Something strange started today. I cannot save word files. Whenever I try to
save the file, the computer freezes and I loose all the work!

Help please. Any ideas? Could it be related to office updates?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EdH

I checked the registry value for DWORD and it already was set to 1. So I
opened Task Manager and ended the hpgs2wnd.exe process and Word started
working perfectly well. At least until now, even after a reboot.

I will see what happens and would like to see a corrected version of the
patch next week from MS.

Thanks to all for your help.
EdH