Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert11[_2_] Robert11[_2_] is offline

Default Formatting Question, Please

Hello,

Using WORD 2007 and XP.

I have a document I update periodically.
On the left hand side, I have subjects listed like:

Bank A

Bank B

Bank C

Under each, with spacings of a a few tabs, I have some information, like

Bank A
Started in May

Bank B
Started in July

When I try to add a new Bank, e.g., Bank D, it puts it vertically aligned to
the Started in space/column.
(not really formatted as a column; just use of tabs)

So it looks like
Bank D
Started in Aug.

I can't seem to find the trick to get Bank D in vertical alignment with the
other Banks to the extreme left.
Backspaces won't help.

Any ideas, please ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, first of all, you shouldn't be using "a few tabs." You should be using
a single tab stop where you want the material to be. Better still would be
to use a hanging indent: type the first line (Bank A), insert a line break
(Shift+Enter), and your succeeding lines will wrap to the indent position.

What has happened in this case, however, is undoubtedly that you have the
option to "Set first- and left-indent with tabs and backspaces" enabled in
Office Button | Word Options | Proofing | AutoCorrect Options | AutoFormat
As You Type, so that when you press Tab you are actually creating an indent.
You should then be able to use Backspace (or Shift+Tab) to remove the
indent.

http://word.mvps.org

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert11[_2_] Robert11[_2_] is offline

Default From OP Again: Formatting Question, Please

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks so much for time and help; appreciate it very much.

Really thought you had it pegged, but that isn't the answer.
Have no boxes checked in the auto format as you type page.

Any other thoughts ?

Guess at my age, in my 70's now, I should have stayed with mld WORD version
of a few yrs back.
Had no trouble with that one.
Find this new version way too complicated, non-intuitive, and most
convoluted.
Guess I'm really dating myself !

Thanks again,
Bob
---------------------------

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, all I can suggest, then, is that you use the hanging indent as
suggested; then your cursor will return to the left margin when you press
Enter (and will return to your indent when you press Shift+Enter). You can
set the hanging indent on the ruler (the easiest way, especially to get a
precise position) or use Ctrl+T (repeatedly if required) to put it where you
want.

I'll also suggest that, if you don't have nonprinting characters displayed,
displaying them will give you a much better idea of what's going on in your
document.

http://word.mvps.org

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert11[_2_] Robert11[_2_] is offline

Hi Suzanne,

Used the Ruler approach as you suggested, and all is fine now.

Thanks again,
Bob

Formatting question Don Page Layout 1 February 6th 09 09:02 PM
Formatting Question George Lutz[_2_] New Users 1 May 20th 08 09:49 PM
Formatting Question Dee Microsoft Word Help 1 January 5th 07 06:58 PM
Formatting question. Please help. Johny Lee Microsoft Word Help 2 May 2nd 05 04:01 PM
Formatting question Bill Page Layout 6 February 6th 05 08:06 AM