How do I display the ASCII hex values in text document?

Old October 26th 06, 04:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
capndave

Default How do I display the ASCII hex values in text document?

I thought Word had a feature to show the actual hex values in a document, but
now I can't seem to remember how to change to that view. I have some files
that were ftp'd from a client and I need to track down why the file contents
are getting mangled.
Old October 26th 06, 07:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

No, Word doesn't have that capability (unless you want to write a macro to
do the translation). Many programming editors can do it with one click,
though. Download the trial version of UltraEdit (http://www.ultraedit.com),
for example.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old October 28th 06, 04:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Word 2002 and 2003 can give you the ascii value for a single character if
you select it and press Alt+X. I'm using 2000 at the moment so can't check
and I seem to recall that it didn't always work exactly as I expected, but
try it and see for yourself.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

Old October 29th 06, 05:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

That toggles the character with the HEX value - nice one. You learn
something new every day here ?

If you want the ASCII value try the following macro to determine the value
of a selected character (or characters).

Sub ANSIValue()
S1$ = "Because the selected text contains"
S2$ = " characters, not all of the ANSI values will be displayed."
S3$ = "ANSI Value ("
S4$ = " characters in selection)"
S5$ = " character in selection)"
S6$ = "Text must be selected before this macro is run."
S7$ = "ANSI Value"
Dim strSel As String
Dim strNums As String
Dim LastFourChar As String
Dim iPos As Integer
strSel = Selection.Text
If Len(strSel) 0 Then
For i = 1 To Len(strSel)
strNums = strNums + Str(Asc(Mid(strSel, i)))
Next i
strNums = LTrim(strNums)
If Len(strNums) 255 Then
LastFourChar = Mid(strNums, 252, 4)
strNums = Left(strNums, 251) + Left(LastFourChar, _
4 - InStr(" ", LastFourChar))
MsgBox S1$ + Str(Len(strSel)) + S2$
End If
If Len(strSel) = 1 Then S4$ = S5$
MsgBox strNums, 0, S3$ + LTrim(Str(Len(strSel))) + S4$
Else
MsgBox S6$, 0, S7$
End If
End Sub

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old October 29th 06, 03:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unfortunately, I got disappointing results when I tried Alt+X on a document
yesterday that blew up in my face: every time I switched to another window
and back, all the spaces, digits, and punctuation in a given paragraph
turned into pairs of question marks surrounded by a faint box (the way
footnote reference marks are). Very bizarre, and Alt+X had no effect at all.
Interestingly, if I selected one of the oddities that represented a comma
and opened Find and Replace, there was a (funny-looking) comma in the "Find
what" box; I suspect the font had half turned into MS Mincho, a problem I
often have when using en and em spaces (which I was doing in this doc). It
took *many* tries (ultimately requiring excision of retyping of two
paragraphs) to get the doc back on track (and I had to substitute two
nonbreaking spaces for an en space in the two problem paragraphs to prevent
the conversion from recurring).

"capndave" wrote in message
I thought Word had a feature to show the actual hex values in a
document, but now I can't seem to remember how to change to that
view. I have some files that were ftp'd from a client and I need to
track down why the file contents are getting mangled.

Creating dynamic cross reference links in a Word document torajudo Microsoft Word Help 4 October 25th 05 03:51 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
textbox to normal text Jack Sons New Users 16 December 5th 04 03:44 PM
Using Hyperlinks in Mail Merge IF...THEN...ELSE Statements Mark V Mailmerge 8 November 30th 04 01:31 PM