Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
awalsh

Default Char's in formats in Word?

How do I stop Char's from appearing in my formats in Word? Char3 keeps
appearing in my list of formats and it turns all of the other text (Headings,
Normal and List Bullets) into Char3.

What am I doing wrong? How can I make this stop? This has been a problem
plaguing me and my team for a long while now and it makes our documents very
difficult to format once the Char has appeared. We are using Microsoft Office
Word 2003 SP1.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?YXdhbHNo?=,

How do I stop Char's from appearing in my formats in Word? Char3 keeps
appearing in my list of formats and it turns all of the other text (Headings,
Normal and List Bullets) into Char3.

What am I doing wrong? How can I make this stop? This has been a problem
plaguing me and my team for a long while now and it makes our documents very
difficult to format once the Char has appeared. We are using Microsoft Office
Word 2003 SP1.

"Char" usually comes from applying a paragraph style to a selection of text
completely within another paragraph. Word understands that you want to use the
paragraph style as a character style, creates the character style (the paragraph
style name followed by Char) and LINKS the paragraph style to the character
style.

In order to avoid this, you have to be careful to apply paragraph styles only
when no text is selected, or at least one paragraph mark is included in the
selection.

Once you have "Char" styles in a document it's very difficult to get rid of
them. You'll find a macro on my website that can help, to a certain extent.

Note: "Char3" is unfamiliar to me: I've never seen "Char" linked with a number
before. Nor does the "Char" which I discuss have any affect, generally, on "all
the styles", unless these styles are all based on the paragraph style that has
been linked to "Char3". Based on my knowledge, the behavior you report makes me
wonder if there isn't a macro on your system that's involved in this problem.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
elfmajesty

We are experiencing the same problem with several of our documents. Recently
upgraded to Office 2003. Ours is a recurring Char1 format that will just
appear for what seems like no reason, and then gets all over everything.
Seems to be the cause of these documents constantly crashing.

If anyone knows of a down and dirty way to clean it out, I'd love to hear it.

Cheers,
Elf

Hi ?B?YXdhbHNo?=,