Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dot Dot is offline

Default File name and Path in footer

I have just got over the problems with automatic updating of footers in 2003
being an issue, I have now installed Office 2007 at home (in prepartaion to
moving over to it in my organisation) and I cannot find out how to add the
file name and path. I can find file name, but where has the path gone? This
function is very necessary to my organisation.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
virtualm virtualm is offline

I am also at a loss and if someone knows how to automatically add the file
name and path to the bottom of each document page please let me know as well.
In 2003 insert, auto text, headers and footers, file name and path worked.
In Word 2007 it is a mystery waiting to be solved!!!!

"Dot" wrote:

I have just got over the problems with automatic updating of footers in 2003
being an issue, I have now installed Office 2007 at home (in prepartaion to
moving over to it in my organisation) and I cannot find out how to add the
file name and path. I can find file name, but where has the path gone? This
function is very necessary to my organisation.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

If you've already inserted a Filename field in the footer, toggle its
field code, and insert the \p switch. That is, the field code should
look like

{ FILENAME \p }

Then click it and press F9 to update the field.

I have no idea why MS left something this common out of the footer
gallery, but it's easy enough to add it yourself. In any document,
start with Insert Footer Edit Footer to put the cursor in the
footer. If you want the filename to be centered, press Tab once. Click
Insert Quick Parts Field. In the dialog, choose the Filename field
from the list and check the box at the upper right for "Add path to
filename". Now select the whole footer paragraph and click Insert
Quick Parts Save Selection to Quick Part Gallery. Give it a name
such as Filename and Path, and set the Gallery dropdown to Footers.
From now on, you'll find your footer displayed at the bottom of the
Insert Footer list.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Dot" wrote:

I have just got over the problems with automatic updating of footers in 2003
being an issue, I have now installed Office 2007 at home (in prepartaion to
moving over to it in my organisation) and I cannot find out how to add the
file name and path. I can find file name, but where has the path gone? This
function is very necessary to my organisation.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nita Nita is offline

Very good instructions. Thank you.

Also learnt how Quick Part works as bonus.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

If you've already inserted a Filename field in the footer, toggle its
field code, and insert the \p switch. That is, the field code should
look like

{ FILENAME \p }

Then click it and press F9 to update the field.

I have no idea why MS left something this common out of the footer
gallery, but it's easy enough to add it yourself. In any document,
start with Insert Footer Edit Footer to put the cursor in the
footer. If you want the filename to be centered, press Tab once. Click
Insert Quick Parts Field. In the dialog, choose the Filename field
from the list and check the box at the upper right for "Add path to
filename". Now select the whole footer paragraph and click Insert
Quick Parts Save Selection to Quick Part Gallery. Give it a name
such as Filename and Path, and set the Gallery dropdown to Footers.
From now on, you'll find your footer displayed at the bottom of the
Insert Footer list.

--

"Dot" wrote:

I have just got over the problems with automatic updating of footers in 2003
being an issue, I have now installed Office 2007 at home (in prepartaion to
moving over to it in my organisation) and I cannot find out how to add the
file name and path. I can find file name, but where has the path gone? This
function is very necessary to my organisation.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Susu Susu is offline

Default File path mystery solved!!

I have figured out how to add the file path to your footer. When you are editing the footer, go to the Design tab. From there, click on "Quick Parts" and then "Field". From the Field Names drop-down list, click on FileName. When you do this, you will see Field Options appear in the top right of the Field window - there will be a checkbox for "Add path to filename."

NOT intuitive, but it's there. I've been beating my head against my desk trying to find it...now I can stop. Hope this helps

http://www.eggheadcafe.com