Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Namibian Lon Namibian Lon is offline

Default background color won't display in Print Layout Mode

When I set a new background color (Format-Background), it does not display
even though I am in Print Layout Mode. I use MS-Word 2003 as my email text
editor and when I set the background color in an email, it also doesn't
change the background on my screen. But when I send the email to someone,
the background color I selected shows on their screen.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Namibian

Namibian Lon wrote:
When I set a new background color (Format-Background), it does not display
even though I am in Print Layout Mode. I use MS-Word 2003 as my email text
editor and when I set the background color in an email, it also doesn't
change the background on my screen. But when I send the email to someone,
the background color I selected shows on their screen.

"works as expected." :-)

"Background color" is an HTML "thingy." A web page can have background
color on screen, but when you print it you definitely don't want it to
come over in color. So, when you set a background color in Word, you see
it in web layout view (I think that's the label), but certainly not in
Print Layout view nor on paper.

HTH
robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Namibian Lon Namibian Lon is offline

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Namibian

Namibian Lon wrote:
[...]

That was partially helpful. In checking this is my Wife's version of Word,
when you set background in Word, it automatically switches you to Web layout
mode. But my problem is still there, because it won't set the background
color in Web layout mode EITHER. It acts the same. It works in the sense
that the person receiving the email sees it the way I want them to but it
doesn't show correctly on my screen as I am generating the email. Strange.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Namibian,

In the Windows control panel check in the Accessibility options to see if the Display property for 'High Contrast' has been switched
on. That will block the page background colors from appearing.

The background color should show in Web, Print Layout View and in PrintPreview and Reading Layout view in Word 2003.

==============
"Namibian Lon" wrote in message
That was partially helpful. In checking this is my Wife's version of Word,
when you set background in Word, it automatically switches you to Web layout
mode. But my problem is still there, because it won't set the background
color in Web layout mode EITHER. It acts the same. It works in the sense
that the person receiving the email sees it the way I want them to but it
doesn't show correctly on my screen as I am generating the email. Strange.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

I just want the world to know that Bob Buckland is not only courteous, he is also a genius. I didn't even know this Accessibility Option for High Contrast existed, but it was indeed set 'ON" and when I turned it OFF, the problem disappeared like cotton candy. Thanks so much Bob, it is a big load off my emotions because I'm a colorful kind of guy and I didn't like being color blind when writing emails.