Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Oaktown Oaktown is offline

Default Word 2007 documents sent to users of Word 1997-2000

When sending a Word 2007 document to a Word 1997-2000 recipient, they receive
an unopenable document with .docx.

What is the solution so that the burden is NOT on the recipient to have to
jump through hoops to open the document?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

The file's creator needs to save the file as a Word 97-2003 file format.
File - Save As...

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Oaktown" wrote in message
When sending a Word 2007 document to a Word 1997-2000 recipient, they
receive
an unopenable document with .docx.

What is the solution so that the burden is NOT on the recipient to have to
jump through hoops to open the document?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Oaktown Oaktown is offline

The issue arose in an exchange of emails with a recruiter who could not open
the document. My feeling is that they want a one step solution. I realize
that the Save As function is not complicated, but is there a way to send a
Word 2007 document without the extra "x"? (.docx)

"Oaktown" wrote in message
When sending a Word 2007 document to a Word 1997-2000 recipient, they
receive
an unopenable document with .docx.

What is the solution so that the burden is NOT on the recipient to have to
jump through hoops to open the document?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Oaktown Oaktown is offline

JoAnn: Thank you. I read your email from the recipient POV and not the
"creator's" POV. Problem solved.

Muchos gracias!

"Oaktown" wrote in message
When sending a Word 2007 document to a Word 1997-2000 recipient, they
receive
an unopenable document with .docx.

What is the solution so that the burden is NOT on the recipient to have to
jump through hoops to open the document?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I make sure that any documents I create that are leaving my control are
saved as .doc files. My personal documents are .docx and I've downloaded the
compatibility pack on my work system so that if anyone sends me something
new I can open it with no problems. I don't expect others to do that for me
though. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

news

"Oaktown" wrote in message
When sending a Word 2007 document to a Word 1997-2000 recipient, they
receive
an unopenable document with .docx.

What is the solution so that the burden is NOT on the recipient to have
jump through hoops to open the document?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GreenieLeBrun GreenieLeBrun is offline

"Oaktown" wrote in message
When sending a Word 2007 document to a Word 1997-2000 recipient,
they receive
an unopenable document with .docx.

What is the solution so that the burden is NOT on the recipient to
have to jump through hoops to open the document?

Thanks.

You can change the default format that the documents are saved as by the
following:-

There is a round button in the top left hand coner of the Word screen, click
on it and then select "Word Options" at the bottom of the window, select
"Save", in the drop down pane labled "Savefiles in this format" select
"Word97-2003 Document (*.doc)", this will change the default format to .doc.
You can also do the same thing for Excell and powerpoint etc.