Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roybaylis roybaylis is offline

Default "Lost" Word docs

I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1 minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roybaylis roybaylis is offline

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!
To think for years I have been relying on this - to no avail.
Ignorance is NOT (now) bliss!!!
Why don't Microsoft make this clearer?

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1

minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

They think they did make it clear. :-(

Dan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There is no "autosave" in Word. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

so
all may benefit.

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1

minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roybaylis roybaylis is offline

That really helps!!!! but I can't believe I'm the only plonker to fall for
this, am I?
Have a great day.
Roy

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

They did at least (many versions back) change the name from the deceptive
AutoSave to AutoRecover.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There is no "autosave" in Word. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1

minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

No, you're not.

Hang around here and you'll see it come up almost daily.

Dan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There is no "autosave" in Word. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to
1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

The option was called AutoSave at one point then it was changed to "Save
AutoRecover information". Do you have a suggestion that could help make it
more clear?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1

minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Oh, no. I fell for it for a couple of years. I have been campaigning for
them to change it for ten years.

I do not know why they won't change it :-)

What they have doesn't work, it's useless. What they used to have worked
perfectly: it was what we wanted!

Mind you, it's not the reason you lost your documents. The reason you lost
your documents is because YOU didn't save them. Which, unfortunately, is
necessary under the new rules.

Cheers

On 16/1/07 8:23 AM, in article
, "roybaylis"

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Beth:

Yeah: Take it away! And bring back the old mechanism that used to work.

If we must, rename the useless one to "Change logging." Because that's what
it does: it logs the changes to a file. But only if the file has already
been saved :-)

Cheers

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But it was never intended as a substitute for ordinary saving. Here is the
description of the feature from the Word 2.0 manual:

"If you have Automatic Save selected, Word saves your document for you at
specific intervals. If there's a power outage or system failure, you can
retrieve your work from the autosave backup files.

"The first time Word performs an autosave backup, it saves the entire
document. For subsequent backups, Word saves only those parts of the
document that have changed since the last save. The first autosave may take
a moment, but later backups are fast and hardly noticeable as you work.
Automatic Save dot not take the place of the Save or Save All commands.
These commands completely save and update the versions of a document on disk
each time you choose them.

"Word creates autosave backup files as necessary. Any time you choose the
Save command, Word deletes the autosave backup file for the document you're
saving. Word creates the files again at the next autosave interval for
documents active at that time. If you choose Save All *or quit Word*, Word
deletes all of the autosave backup files." [Emphasis added.]

This is no different from AutoRecover. If you intentionally closed a
document or quit Word without saving, the autosave backup was deleted. The
manual goes on to indicate that Word also saves you from losing your work by
your computer's running out of memory and specifies that "in case of a power
failure or other trouble with your computer, you can open an autosave backup
file the next time you start Word." There is no indication that this was
meant to be a substitute for manual saving or to protect users from
negligence.

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote in
message ...

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I agree with Suzanne, Word has never had an option to automatically save a
file without using the SaveReminder add-in.

Additionally, I also have to disagree with you on how AutoRecover works. It
doesn't use a log file, it creates a Word document and saves it just like
any other document you would create and save. The document doesn't have to
be saved in order for AutoRecover to save an autorecover copy. It creates a
Word document each time the AutoRecover save kicks in but it's saved to your
AutoRecover folder with an *.asd file extension. From what I've been able
ascertain, it uses the same Save methods as when saving a document, i.e.
build temp file, delete original (for subsequent saves), move temp file to
orginal, delete temp file. The only difference is when you close the
document Word will automatically delete the AutoRecovery save version. It
may have worked differently in older versions, such as save only the
modifications, but this is how it works now. (Note I shouldn't say "now"
since I believe the AutoReover function has changed for Word 2007 - I'm
still investigating it.)

You can test this for yourself:

- Create a new document (do not save it)
- Wait for AutoRecover save (you'll see it in the status bar)
- Check your AutoRecover folder and file the file.
- Copy the autorecover file to another location (so Word doesn't delete it)
- Change the file extension to *.doc and double-click to open it (or open it
directly in Word)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Beth:

Well, there were several design bugs in AutoRecovery. The first was that it
only operated if Word crashed. There was no way to recover from inadvertent
USER changes.

The other was that in the past, any given autorecover file contained only
PART of the document. You could never get the whole of the document and the
content was often out of sequence.

And there were no explicit instructions in the Help to enable an ordinary
user to find and recover their Autorecover file.

A decent autosave mechanism would save the document under a recognisable
name, in an advertised location, and keep at least a week's worth of data,
enabling the user to specify how long to keep data for, and to delete all
backups of a sensitive file on demand.

If they've fixed all that, I will stop complaining about it :-)

Cheers

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roybaylis roybaylis is offline

I'm with you John and I suspect so are thousands of users who have suffered
an avoidable loss of hours of work.
Your idea seems great to me!!!
May your tribe increase.
Roy

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

They did introduce an AutoSave option in Word 2000 in an add-in,
Macros9.dot - it's the SaveReminderInstall macro. Once the add-in is
installed then under the Tools menu you'll find the Save reminder options,
save automatically or prompt to save at a specificed interval of time.

If you can obtain a copy of the template then it still works through Word
2007. (Note it may still work in Word 2007 but it has an expired digital
signture and Word 2007 prevents the macros from being enabled in this
situation. You have to remove the digital signature from the project in
order to allow the macros to run. I haven't tested it past that point.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread. Please do not
email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst,
Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I tested it for Word 2003 and it worked fine. The only version I haven't
tested is Word 2007.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The SaveReminder add-in is available at
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm,
to which there is a link at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Yes, it does. The only "consideration" is that this is a Macro that runs a
VBA "timer". VBA can have only one timer operating at a time, so if this is
running, any other macro that contains a timer will fail.

However, there are extremely few macros that contain timers, and those that
do are rarely left running for long. So it's not normally a problem.

Cheers

On 18/1/07 6:04 AM, in article
, "roybaylis"

"roybaylis" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roybaylis roybaylis is offline

Dear Suzanne
I think your comment "none of the options will protect you from your own
imprudence, laziness, or folly!" is both unhelpful and misses the main point.
This software is used so often by so many and it seems most of us have been
caught by this happening at one time or another.
Why on earth not fix it?! Isn't "user-friendly" part of the plan?
Wouldn't that be a wINwIN SOLUTION?!
Thanks
Roy

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1

minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It doesn't need 'fixing'. In Word 2003 (the most stable Word version so far)
it works quite effectively, but it is not foolproof. With your very short
save time, it is quite likely that a crash would occur during a save
operation and nothing would save you from that sort of data loss. Change it
to 10 or 15 minutes. If you don't wipe up the mess after a crash you make
further problems even more likely
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

No such measure negates the requirement to save your work often - yet we
hear of people who have kept documents open for days without ever saving,
then wonder why they have lost their work. The link to my web site referred
to by others will post a solution that will force a save if you want, but I
think you will quickly find it very irritating, just as a one minute
autorecovery option would certainly interfere with my work flow.

Get into the habit of using CTRL+S ever time you stop for thought.

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to
1 minute. Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I stand by my statement. I think it is important to make users realize that
*they* are responsible for saving their work. Do you have the same
expectations about the rest of your life, that "someone else" should protect
you from the consequences of, say, paying your utility bill or insurance
premium or filing your income tax return or brushing your teeth or buying
the food you need for tomorrow or washing your dirty clothes or...?

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1

minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roybaylis roybaylis is offline

Thanks Graham - points taken and duly noted. I will change the time to 5
minutes, as a compromise!
BUT I still think that, if the pople I know are anything like average, this
has been and remains an ongoing issue - which could (and should) be fixed.
Why not?!!

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to
1 minute. Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roybaylis roybaylis is offline

Dear Suzanne
That is an unreal comparison.
When I BUY something, I expect it to work as well as possible and, if there
is a known problem, for the manufacturer to fix it. if not, I simply buy
another product!
Why do you avoid the realissue - it is a problem for loads of people, has
been for ages, and should be fixed.
Why not?!!!
Roy

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roybaylis roybaylis is offline

The more I think about your response, the angrier it makes me. It is so
patronising, so unhelpful and even arrogant.
If that attitude is how Microsoft sees such issues, the end is nigh.
Customers don't have to do what theyr'e told - it is the 21st century!
Peace.
Roy

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But when you buy a product and use it contrary to the operating
instructions, what are your expectations? If you never changed the oil in
your car (or filled it with gas), would you still expect it to run properly?
I don't believe Microsoft has given you any reason to expect that your
documents would be saved automatically. This would not happen in any other
application (except for a few such as Microsoft Money, where every entry is
saved as you enter it).

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set

to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

Just for the record, Suzanne is not Microsoft. Everyone you're speaking with
here is a volunteer who answers questions of their own free will. Your
hostility is wasted and counter-productive.

Suzanne is exactly right. When you drive a car, it is your responsibility to
put gas in it. It is your responsibility to turn off the lights when you
park it. If you fail to do either, you'll be inconvenienced.

You assume certain responsibilities to use any product.

Dan

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to
1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roybaylis roybaylis is offline

Dan - I am reminded of your first response :
"No, you're not.

Hang around here and you'll see it come up almost daily.

Dan"

Not many car makers would survive if that sort of comment could be made
about one of the most basic parts of their cars, would it?!!

I stand by what I have said, but note that "Suzanne is not Microsoft". I
said "IF" that is how Microsoft see things ...

I am grateful to all who have helped me so fully in this interesting post. I
remain surprised, disappointed and, frankly, at a loss to understand why
Microsoft have left such an obvious nuiseance unresolved for its millions of
users.

I assume that any products which are going to attract my repeat custom will
continually make necessary improvements and, if it does not, it will lose my
custom as and when a better alternative comes on the market.

If it is so easy for OneNote to save automatically, why can't Word? And,
thereby your "argument" goes out the window, doesn't it? I am no less
responsible a person when I use the 2 products,but one is miles more
convenient and user-friendly in terms of saing, than the other.
What IS the problem with fixing this, instead of defedning the nonsensical?
Thanks again
Roy

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to
1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roybaylis roybaylis is offline

Point taken, Suzanne - but, if you re-read what I said, it was prefaced with
"IF"!
I was addressing your attitude.
Roy

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set

to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I personally would be very unhappy if Word saved every document I created or
ever saved without my explicit permission. I create many throwaway test
documents that are intentionally not saved, and I don't always want to save
a document at a given stage of development. Luckily a Save in Word doesn't
disable Undo as it does in Publisher; if that were the case I would be even
more unhappy if I hadn't gotten myself into a fix and couldn't Undo (or even
close without saving and revert to the earlier version) because Word had
"helpfully" saved my document in its messed-up form!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There is no "autosave" in Word. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"roybaylis" wrote in

message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave

set to
1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I think what needs to be put into perspective here is the unforeseen issues
that would occur if Word did automatically save documents. Consider the
times you, or the many, many others, have opened a previously created
document, made changes, but saved those changes to as a new file in order to
prevent modifications on the original. If Word automatically saved those
revisions before you could use Save As and save a copy then users would be
faced with the inabilty to recover documents that contain changes they
didn't want to save. Granted they could potientally use Undo but that would
result in doing a lot of work over again. This new issue would be equally
detrimental, wouldn't you agree? There are several other examples in which
users wouldn't be happy if Word automatically saved documents as well.

So what does a one do in order to attempt to make everyone happy? The
easiest solution is to give users the choice to save or not save changes by
creating a Save command that doesn't function automatically. After all,
using Ctrl + S to clicking a button to save the file really isn't asking too
much. After awhile it becomes habit - just like putting your car in Drive
when you want to move forward or putting your car in Reverse when you want
to move backward becomes second nature.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"roybaylis" wrote in message
Dear Suzanne
That is an unreal comparison.
When I BUY something, I expect it to work as well as possible and, if
there
is a known problem, for the manufacturer to fix it. if not, I simply buy
another product!
Why do you avoid the realissue - it is a problem for loads of people, has
been for ages, and should be fixed.
Why not?!!!
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lindalou lindalou is offline

Word is VERY misleading about this. I just had Word close on me--not my
doing. There was no prompting to save any unsaved files. I have now lost work
I have done. Even if you save work frequently (sometimes every 5 or 10
minutes), if you have just written something that took a lot of thought, you
can totally lose it.

"If you . . . quit Word without saving, the autosave backup was deleted."
This is plain STUPID!! If you quit word without saving, that is when you most
need the autosave backup--particularly because Word will just decide to shut
down out of nowhere.

Why is it that Microsoft, this supposed amazing creator of software, cannot,
after years and years of customer complaints (1) remedy situations that
people complain of over and over again, (2) write help files that are
actually helpful and are indexed properly, (3) be clear? Aren't Microsoft
products supposed to be user-friendly? You might ask why I use them, since I
have all these complaints. The answer is, because they are what most people
use, and to not use them cuts you out of the loop.

I expect these people will never get it together and put out products that
are truly user-friendly and intelligible.

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If Word "just decides to shut down out of nowhere," then you will be
presented with an AutoRecovery backup when you restart Word (current
versions restart automatically), but if you manually shut down and *choose*
not to save, you can't blame Word for "losing" your document. And if you
have been saving (really saving, not just depending on AutoRecover) every
five or ten minutes, you can't "totally" lose a document; the most you can
lose is the last five or ten minutes.

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set
to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread. Please do not
email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst,
Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Actually in full support of every point Suzanne makes, but in addition...

On 12/25/07 9:57 PM, in article ,
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

you can't "totally" lose a document

Well, yes you _can_ - if the OS or the HD are problematic... In which case
that's probably what caused Word " to shut down out of nowhere " in the
first place.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lindalou lindalou is offline

Yes, you don't totally lose the whole document. I never said you did. But you
can lose some very important stuff. "It" in my sentence referred to the
antecedent "if you have just written something that took a lot of thought."

And yes, it did shut down without asking if I wanted to save and without
presenting an autorecover option when I started up again.

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lindalou lindalou is offline

I wish to add that the two replies to my email simply confirm what I said:
Microsoft doesn't see any need to change anything. What Microsoft doesn't
seem to understand is that even if everything the program does works
logically if you follow it to a T, if the average user has problems with it,
it needs to be improved.

If I spoke to you in flawless Hindi, it wouldn't matter what I said to you
if you didn't understand the language. Microsoft speaks in Hindi and doesn't
provide a complete dictionary for translation.