vandeg

Default Losing shortcut keys in templates when upgrading to Word 2003

It seems that I have lost shortcut keys that I established for styles in
templates that I created with Word 2000 and now I am using Word 2003. Is this
correct, or am I missing something? I have looked at my styles and it does
not look like the shortcut keys are there. I haven't found anything on this
on microsoft's site.
Shauna Kelly

Hi Vandeg

I haven't experienced this problem, and I've had templates with shortcut
keys for styles survive journeys from Word 2000 to 2003 and back again.

If you have a document based on a template, and bearing in mind that
Normal.dot is always lurking around as a global template, then the keyboard
shortcuts may have been saved in normal.dot, in the template or the
document. So maybe the shortcuts were not, in fact, stored in the templates?

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"vandeg" wrote in message
It seems that I have lost shortcut keys that I established for styles in
templates that I created with Word 2000 and now I am using Word 2003. Is
this
correct, or am I missing something? I have looked at my styles and it does
not look like the shortcut keys are there. I haven't found anything on
this
on microsoft's site.

Charles Kenyon

You need to make sure that you save your shortcuts in the applicable
template/document and not in normal.dot.

I have templates with shortcuts that I created in Word 97, 2000, and 2002
that are working fine in Word 2003. I've taken templates drafted in Word
2003 with shortcuts and moved them to a Word 97 environment and they worked
fine.

The Keyboard organizer from
http://www.chriswoodman.co.uk/Shortcut%20Organizer.htm may help you
determine where shortcuts are located. See
http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step instructions
on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations including
AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros, etc.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"vandeg" wrote in message
It seems that I have lost shortcut keys that I established for styles in
templates that I created with Word 2000 and now I am using Word 2003. Is
this
correct, or am I missing something? I have looked at my styles and it does
not look like the shortcut keys are there. I haven't found anything on
this
on microsoft's site.

vandeg

Thanks. After I posted this I looked again and sure enough they still work.
However, the shortcut keys are not listed with the styles. I will play around
with it again, and see what I can come up with.

"vandeg" wrote in message
It seems that I have lost shortcut keys that I established for styles in
templates that I created with Word 2000 and now I am using Word 2003. Is
this
correct, or am I missing something? I have looked at my styles and it does
not look like the shortcut keys are there. I haven't found anything on
this
on microsoft's site.

Charles Kenyon

One other thing is you can simply assign abbreviations to styles by putting
that in the name. For instance, in my templates Body Text is named "Body
Text, bt" If I type "bt" in the style window, it will apply the style.
Ctrl-Shift-S lets me type into that window without using the mouse.