Joey

Default Templates and Add-Ins

Thanx for the previous feedback. I also thought it was searching across the
network for the old template. Next question: How can I automate it to
automatically strip looking for the template which is no longer available and
link it to my new template. I have tried the following:
With ActiveDocument
.UpdateStylesOnOpen = True
.AttachedTemplate = "C:\templates\Normal.dot"
End With
in an AutoOpen macro which works beautifully apart from the fact that the
document still needs to be opened first and takes quite a while to open. Can
one not look at document properties before the document is opened and strip
the template at that point so that the document opens faster? However I think
"the attached template" is a built-in property? Hope you understand what I am
asking.

Charles Kenyon

First. You do _not_ want to have your documents update their styles on
open - hardly ever! That is the path to tearing your hair out.

Second, try doing the updating when logged off your network. Documents will
open much faster.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Joey" wrote in message
news
[...]

Joey

Thanx for the info. Charles maybe I should explain the entire problem below.
We receive documents from other law firms via email which have been created
with their templates so our styles and paragraph numbering doesn't work in
their documents unless you update the styles therefore the reason for that.
We need to amend the documents and mail them back to them. So the problem
lies in opening documents from outside our office via Outlook into word. We
cannot log off the network as the email won't work then unless we run with
offline folders but we will be logging on and off all the time. Understand my
frustration? Any other suggestion or I'm I misunderstanding?

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

First. You do _not_ want to have your documents update their styles on
open - hardly ever! That is the path to tearing your hair out.

Second, try doing the updating when logged off your network. Documents will
open much faster.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Joey" wrote in message
news
[...]

Charles Kenyon

You still don't want your paragraph numbering and styles in their documents.
The results are unpredictable at best. If you are editing them for return to
the other law firm they will not appreciate your changes. When they get them
back, they will attach to their normal.dot and update styles from their
normal.dot. If they know what they are doing, the documents did not start
out based on normal.dot but a different custom template. They will get back
something that isn't what you sent and isn't what they started with either.
If you are editing them for use on your own system, then work with copies
and remove their formatting before applying your own. Again, updating styles
upon opening is a recipe for disaster.

You should not be opening Word documents directly from email but rather
saving to disk and opening from your disk.

--

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

First. You do _not_ want to have your documents update their styles on
open - hardly ever! That is the path to tearing your hair out.

Second, try doing the updating when logged off your network. Documents
will
open much faster.
--
Charles Kenyon