Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scotts Scotts is offline

Default How do I make word remember extra line between paragraph numbers

Some time in the past I think I had the following setup for Word 2003 in
paragraph numbering. I like to have a single blank line between numbered
paragraphs and I thought there was a setting in Word that would allow this.

What I mean is I would start my paragraph numbering, finish the first
paragraph, then hold down the shift key, press enter, let go of the shift key
and press enter again. This would give me my second numbered paragraph with a
blank line in between. After this word would remember this and thereafter
automatically insert the blank line between each numbered paragraph without
me having to force it with the Shift-Enter-Enter combination.

Does anybody know how to turn this on, or am I making up something that does
not exist?

Thanks
Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

It sounds like you are using a blank "line" purely for spacing the numbered
paragraphs. The shift+Enter is actually entering a Manual line break.
Instead why not use the "Space after" function in Format Paragraph for the
style you are using. 6pt is usually adequate, 12pt could be OK but for some
documents can be too large. Once you have this set into the style, you can
forget about adding extra "lines" for spacing.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"ScottS" wrote:

Some time in the past I think I had the following setup for Word 2003 in
paragraph numbering. I like to have a single blank line between numbered
paragraphs and I thought there was a setting in Word that would allow this.

What I mean is I would start my paragraph numbering, finish the first
paragraph, then hold down the shift key, press enter, let go of the shift key
and press enter again. This would give me my second numbered paragraph with a
blank line in between. After this word would remember this and thereafter
automatically insert the blank line between each numbered paragraph without
me having to force it with the Shift-Enter-Enter combination.

Does anybody know how to turn this on, or am I making up something that does
not exist?

Thanks
Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scotts Scotts is offline

Default How do I make word remember extra line between paragraph numbe

Thanks for your reply. I found what I was looking for. The option I needed
turned on was Automatic Bullets and List. And I should not have been using
the Shift-Enter-Enter method. What I should have been doing was this:
1. Type a 1. followed by a tab (or choose a numbering scheme from Bullets
and Numbering) and type my text.
2. Hit enter, which starts the automatic numbering.
paragraphs numbered 1 through 3.
4. Move your cursor up a line to paragraph number 2 and backspace over it to
delete it. Paragraph number 3. now becomes 2.
5. Move to paragraph number 2. and type your text. When you hit enter at the
end, it automatically picks up the extra line between paragraphs and gives
you paragraph number 3.

Sorry for the long winded explanation and I know I should probably set
things up as you suggested but this works for me. I think your method would
affect all paragraphs not just paragraph numbering which is what I was after.

Thanks again.
ScottS

"ScottS" wrote:

Some time in the past I think I had the following setup for Word 2003 in
paragraph numbering. I like to have a single blank line between numbered
paragraphs and I thought there was a setting in Word that would allow this.

What I mean is I would start my paragraph numbering, finish the first
paragraph, then hold down the shift key, press enter, let go of the shift key
and press enter again. This would give me my second numbered paragraph with a
blank line in between. After this word would remember this and thereafter
automatically insert the blank line between each numbered paragraph without
me having to force it with the Shift-Enter-Enter combination.

Does anybody know how to turn this on, or am I making up something that does
not exist?

Thanks
Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

From your description it sounded like you were using the process to layout
the paragraphs. as well as supressing numbering. Use Space After as
previously mentioned and also under Format, Paragraph, Line and Page Breaks,
there is "Suppress Lines numbers" this works well with what you are doing but
only for numbering not bullets. There is a function called SkipNumbering
which you can use anytime to take out a number or bullet from within a range
of such paragraphs. I tend to use this very often (more so than the
Suppress), this is found under Tools Customise, Commands, All Commands,
SkipNumbering, drag button onto your toolbars.
Hope this helps
DeanH