Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mike

Default How to print from specific table cell?

I'm still trying to figure out how to get Word 2002 to print from a specific
cell within a table (eg, page 4, col 2, row 3) either forward - to the end
of the document - or through a certain spot (eg, page 6, col 1, row 2). I
have a number of WP users who miss this functionality in Word and numerous
attempts to recreate this in Word have failed.

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Mike,

I'm still trying to figure out how to get Word 2002 to print from a specific
cell within a table (eg, page 4, col 2, row 3) either forward - to the end
of the document - or through a certain spot (eg, page 6, col 1, row 2). I
have a number of WP users who miss this functionality in Word and numerous
attempts to recreate this in Word have failed.

The closest Word would have would be the "Selection" option in the File/Print
dialog box, although I don't know whether this would do such a good job with
only parts of a table.

The next best would be from page x to page y.

Do the users really want to print just cells from a table? Or are they more
trying to do something like print a particular set of labels?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mike

They're trying to print a specific group of labels. Part of the problem is
that we've switched from WP to Word, and this is one feature that several
people miss from WP (WP treats labels as individual pages rather than a
table, so printing from label x to y is easy). The only solution thus far
is to highlight the labels you don't want to print and format the text as
hidden - hardly a simple solution, especially if there's a large number of
labels you don't want to print.

If there was a way to design the labels to print as multiple pages (rather
than a table) this might solve the problem, but the multi page features in
Word are designed for booklets - there's not a way (that I've found) to
specify the 'page' (eg, label) size. I've also not been able to find a
label add-on that provides the options we're looking for; Payne Consulting
has a Bates label tool, but that's designed for creating a specific kind of
label and doesn't have any options for printing.

Thanks again for any help.

Mike

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Mike,

[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Mike,

Right. My inclination is to say: use mail merge. Before they can do that, the
current label sheets will need to be modified so that there's only a single
column. Best would probably be to create a table in a new document, with only
one column, and copy/paste column-by-column.

Then you'd need to set up a mail merge template for the label sheet. Use
Tools/Mailings/Envelopes and Labels/Labels to create a new sheet of empty
labels. Save this as a template, either in the Workgroup Templates location,
if you use that, or in a central location so that each user can copy it to her
machine (I'm inclined to say go this route if each uses her own set of
labels).

The template should then be linked up to the mail merge data source - the
one-column table with the addresses, the single merge field (containing the
entire address) inserted into the first table cell, "propogate" this to all
the cells, save and close.

Now the users can create a new document from the template whenever they want
to print labels. From the recipients dialog box they can choose which labels
they want to print "today". The nice thing about this is (and you do need a
carrot to convince them this is "just as good", right :-)?) the labels don't
have to be contiguous. They can choose any combination they wish.